mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/7/08 11:24 a.m.

Never seen the scams on Autotrader before. Go figure. This one was for a $20,000 Cayman. I knew it was too good to be true, I just figured that since it was on Autotrader it might be real.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=255603804&dealer_id=63612527&car_year=2007&rdm=1228672110415&model=CAYMAN&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=POR&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&min_price=1&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=60048&advanced=&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=20000&cardist=415

Hi, This is a charity sale, I will donate money to a children foundation so that business will be done through eBay, because they organize a lot of work to this end. Right now I'm in a business trip and can not meet to show you the car, but I can send you more pictures and details. I hope it's good for you. I can arrange the delivery on my expense. If you want to buy the car send me your full name and address of delivery and eBay will contact you with all the details of this transaction (invoices and payment details). If you agree with my price and terms I'm ready to reserve the car for you. The vehicle has a clean title and is not under leasing or bank liabilities. The paint is in perfect shape. There are no dings, scratches, damage or rust on the body. This vehicle has been very well maintained and kept both smoke and accident free. I will expect your e-mail. Thank you

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/08 12:29 p.m.

A reverse phone lookup of the number provided comes back with a name and address in Kansas City...I wonder if they are getting any calls about it.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/7/08 12:35 p.m.

Kansas / Nigeria, both are flat, wind blown and don't really need Porsches. Maybe it is real....

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/7/08 2:36 p.m.

So, are you saying it is a bad idea to buy a $20,000 car sight unseen from across the country?

cwh
cwh PowerDork
12/7/08 2:48 p.m.

ANY ad showing a low price and free shipping will be a scam. Mail him and ask where you can see the car. When he comes back and says it's Uzbekistan, write him "Great, my brother is there! Give me the address!" You won't hear from him again. I see these all the time on Craig's list. Some fools must fall for it or they would stop putting the ads out there.

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
12/7/08 3:05 p.m.

You mean like the $350 426 Hemi that was removed from a '72 Dart that was in Craigslist here a while back?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/7/08 4:35 p.m.
cwh wrote: I see these all the time on Craig's list.

I see them all the time on Craigslist too. This one is weird because its on Autotrader--a pay site--and its not that unreasonable; as was noted earlier this weekend 30,000 caymans have been seen. Normally its 5400 for a 50,000 car.

Helterskelter
Helterskelter Reader
12/7/08 5:49 p.m.

Who finds it necessary to mention that there is "no rust" on a nearly brand new porsche? Isn't that implied?

cwh
cwh PowerDork
12/7/08 7:41 p.m.

Play with the guy. If nothing else, he won't have time to screw with the morons of the world. Tell him you are interested, cash in hand, make him jump through some hoops and report back.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
12/7/08 8:56 p.m.

I was searching for GTOs a while back and found one on autotrader for like $8000 with like 80k miles on it. So I call and no answer, so I e-mail the person and I get a response from a lady "I am currently out of the country, if you are really interested and want the car ASAP you can send me a security deposit of $5,000 and I will hold the car for you until I get back from Romania." I responded with "Well can I go check the car out first? I live in Longwood, same zip code and everything." Her response "If you send me the security deposit, I will let you check the car out in storage."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YW6kAP0sjsnbBQotNk5uw02eA8Wen405OnvGnbSbW9mIJBkbRZwPJdvmFZF9tMBT