1 ... 3 4 5
slefain
slefain Dork
12/7/09 1:14 p.m.

Mary Moon?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/7/09 2:11 p.m.

Beans and rice make a complete protein, as do corn and beans. That is, between the two they have all the amino acids necessary for you to reassemble into the proteins that you need to stay alive. A little milk helps in there too. As for what beans, walk down the isle at Wally World and do some sampling. The 1 lb packages are usually real inexpensive. If you go to an Indian food supply place, not a restaurant, but the place that the local Indian population shops at (it's a gas station here, really), there are a lot of different beans to try. Lentils, Dahl, etc. In general, red beans take a real long time to cook if you're not using a pressure cooker. Black eyed peas are a bean, black beans, the various ones at the Indian food supply place, do some experimenting. Hint: Spices are real cheap at the Indian supply place too. A fraction of what you'd pay anywhere else, including Wally World. If there's no Indian grocery store listed in your phone book, look for an Indian family shopping at Wally World and ask them were it is. That's how we found the right gas station.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/7/09 3:37 p.m.
alex wrote: But she cheats with bacon. Everybody cheats with bacon. Even veggies. I've seen it.

A friend recently described bacon as "a gateway meat."

I'm surrounded by vegetarians and vegans. If it were up to me to prep the food completely, I'd be vegetarian. But since the pig is such a tasty animal and the cold spot at the store has it for me...I continue to eat it.

If I was to get into a relationship with a vegetarian woman it would be an easy transition.

Clem

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/7/09 3:51 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: A friend recently described bacon as "a gateway meat."

That's also what I call the extra asphalt in a sweeper where the cones have been spaced way apart.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
12/8/09 5:14 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Beans and rice make a complete protein, as do corn and beans. That is, between the two they have all the amino acids necessary for you to reassemble into the proteins that you need to stay alive. A little milk helps in there too. As for what beans, walk down the isle at Wally World and do some sampling. The 1 lb packages are usually real inexpensive. If you go to an Indian food supply place, not a restaurant, but the place that the local Indian population shops at (it's a gas station here, really), there are a lot of different beans to try. Lentils, Dahl, etc. In general, red beans take a real long time to cook if you're not using a pressure cooker. Black eyed peas are a bean, black beans, the various ones at the Indian food supply place, do some experimenting. Hint: Spices are real cheap at the Indian supply place too. A fraction of what you'd pay anywhere else, including Wally World. If there's no Indian grocery store listed in your phone book, look for an Indian family shopping at Wally World and ask them were it is. That's how we found the right gas station.

This is really good advice. Dried split peas/lentils are a little more convenient than other beans, because they do not require pre-soaking. I was at the Indian grocer down the road a few days ago, and spices are insanely cheap there. I got a decent sized tin of curry powder for $3.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
raD1kDqzL6SoveDZ8FvVA3XO0tNxd6J3PLW3Z4QTTEMZD1AJjfegSC1tSvUBkd5X