1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
5/16/16 12:07 p.m.
scardeal wrote: I work as a Business Intelligence consultant. Oh, and we're hiring. PM if interested.

Where are such position located? Anyplace warm?

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
5/16/16 12:24 p.m.

I went to school for Mechanical Engineering at Wisconsin (UW-Madison)(no focus, just middle of the road M.E.), then got a job doing Mechanical Engineering work first as a drafter, then designing as an 'Engineer-in-Trainging', and finally as a 'Professional Engineer'; registered in several states.

I do heat. Mostly in HVAC system design, but also in hydronic systems. I also design plumbing systems and periodically do pipe stress analysis, usually for steam piping installs. I've been doing this over 10 years now and all at the same company. Sadly, I don't have a lot of hands-on equipment knowledge so I'm not much help when some one asks why their A/C stopped working.

I can give engineering advise but I have to be careful on what I give because whatever I do personally, can actually be covered under my work's professional insurance, ergo they are responsible for my actions. I also can't solicit to anyone outside of the states I'm registered in, so this is not a solicitation.

As an engineer, my posts are riddled with spelling mistakes and grammar errors. But I try.

I work in Green Bay, but don't ask me questions about the Packers, because I really don't care much.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/16/16 12:36 p.m.

Avionics system engineer for an avionics manufacturer. OEM business jet cockpit suites-- kind of like assembling complex model railroad layouts for people who aren't terribly clear about what they want, with a great added heaping of government regulatory requirements and compliance demonstration.

That simile may be horribly out of date, but a sufficiently long time ago to predate Tower Hobbies and the internet, I did work in a hobby shop.

I'll offer everyone the advice that there's more money to be lost in aviation than made.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/16/16 1:19 p.m.

Product Development Engineer at Ford.

Mechanical engineer by school, calibrator by work- so my work covers ME stuff, as well as computer science, controls, chemistry, electrical engineering, etc. So I know a little about a lot. Which isn't much.

Passed 24 years a short while ago. I've twice posted about products that I had a direct hand in doing- the 1999 Aston Martin DB7 V12 and the 2010 Ford SHO, Flex/ Lincoln MKS, MKT.

Always happy to post advice about engine and powertrain tuning. My real specialty within that is one that few here seem to care that much about anyway.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
5/16/16 1:30 p.m.

I run an automotive repair shop. I used to offer advice, but I found that I was often just starting an argument.

"I just got my first job delivering pizzas. Do you think I should buy this 20 year old XJ12 that just needs a tune up?"

"No. You can't afford the gas, let alone the repairs."

"But its coolll..." ad nauseum

scardeal
scardeal Dork
5/16/16 2:08 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: My real specialty within that is one that few here seem to care that much about anyway.

Crochet?

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
5/16/16 3:36 p.m.
jstand wrote: In reply to The_Jed: Thank you for the feedback. Any chance of damage when bottoming the injectors? He was concerned about possibly damaging them when bottoming prior to backing them off so he was hesitant to go too far.

It's definitely safer to err on the side of caution like he did. They are easy to over torque and break. I think the factory spec is 25 in/lb when bottomed. You can probably produce more torque than that with a screwdriver.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
5/16/16 3:57 p.m.
Robbie wrote:
szeis4cookie wrote:
Robbie wrote: Healthcare IT. Epic software, revenue cycle, support services sales. I am not an expert, but I will talk at 'chu like I know stuff. Edit: engineering physics degree - worked in a solar cell lab for a summer - not for me.
I am also in healthcare IT. Chart retrieval workflow software and data submission software for Medicare advantage and the health insurance marketplace. I'll start off with the asking for advice - do you know of a way to get Epic certified without being sponsored by an employer?
Its certainly the million dollar question in the industry right now. Only way to get epic certified that I know of is to either get a job at epic or to get a job with one of epics clients. Technically my company can get people certified too, but it would have to be sponsored by one of our clients (who are also epic's clients). That said, I'd love to learn a bit more about what you do too! I'll send you a pm Monday.

I can't remember which email address my account here is associated with, so if you already pm'ed me and haven't heard back yet, try me by email directly szehui at gmail.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
5/16/16 4:12 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: I run an automotive repair shop. I used to offer advice, but I found that I was often just starting an argument.

That's my default now, but occasionally I slip. I think most of the time what people really want is somebody to tell them they're right.

calteg
calteg Dork
5/16/16 4:16 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
Streetwiseguy wrote: I run an automotive repair shop. I used to offer advice, but I found that I was often just starting an argument.
That's my default now, but occasionally I slip. I think most of the time what people really want is somebody to tell them they're right.

In all things, people seek affirmation, not information.

I buy and sell used cars. I've done it for the past decade, for goliath companies, little buy here\pay here lots, and myself. I'm open to questions, but there is a ton of knowledge on this site already.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
5/16/16 4:43 p.m.

I just changed jobs in the last month. I work for GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing.

Advice? I dunno. Just work hard and you can get anywhere.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
5/16/16 5:18 p.m.

I'm an Audi, BMW, MINI, and VW technician. My advice? Don't buy any of those vehicles unless you like to work on them yourself...a lot.

Like mentioned earlier, my advice is rarely taken anyway. Apparently I'm also biased because "I only see the broken ones".

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/16/16 5:50 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: I just changed jobs in the last month. I work for GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing. Advice? I dunno. Just work hard and you can get anywhere.

I was thinking you were dead!

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
5/16/16 7:21 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: I just changed jobs in the last month. I work for GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing. Advice? I dunno. Just work hard and you can get anywhere.
I was thinking you were dead!

I know! It's good to hear from you again!

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
5/16/16 7:57 p.m.

I'm a production engineer for an engineered plastics company.

I've worked for 14 years in manufacturing starting as an aluminum extrusion press operator, then a process engineer, a quality engineer and now my current role.

I'm happy to give advice, but I'm likely a bad source for it. I will say getting a degree is a smart maneuver, but make sure it's in a field thay interests you. Don't just chase the money.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
5/16/16 7:57 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Product Development Engineer at Ford. Mechanical engineer by school, calibrator by work- so my work covers ME stuff, as well as computer science, controls, chemistry, electrical engineering, etc. So I know a little about a lot. Which isn't much. Passed 24 years a short while ago. I've twice posted about products that I had a direct hand in doing- the 1999 Aston Martin DB7 V12 and the 2010 Ford SHO, Flex/ Lincoln MKS, MKT. Always happy to post advice about engine and powertrain tuning. My real specialty within that is one that few here seem to care that much about anyway.

Oh if you had said you were heavily involved with the North American Cmax, you couldn't reply fast enough to my questions and gripes about this car.

But seriously I'd love to talk to an in the know product person, engineer, whatever the proper title may be, about this car. I do like the car but still have lots of questions no dealer or shop can answer.

jstand
jstand HalfDork
5/16/16 8:42 p.m.
The_Jed wrote:
jstand wrote: In reply to The_Jed: Thank you for the feedback. Any chance of damage when bottoming the injectors? He was concerned about possibly damaging them when bottoming prior to backing them off so he was hesitant to go too far.
It's definitely safer to err on the side of caution like he did. They are easy to over torque and break. I think the factory spec is 25 in/lb when bottomed. You can probably produce more torque than that with a screwdriver.

Thank you for the reply.

His current plan is to leave it alone until he can get it in to Cummins to have them set the rack.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/16 8:49 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: Pretty simple, state what you do for a living. Then tell us if you offer consultation to fellow GRM'rs. I'll go first: household appliance repair. 12yrs experience. Yes I'll help you.

I make peoples' daily drivers keep daily driving. I also make peoples' fast cars stay fast/go faster. This includes the boring common stuff as well as some bizarre and esoteric stuff.

For instance, if you hop up a 2.5l automatic Fiero enough, you still can't do a burnout - you shove the front wheels when you brake-torque it.

I've developed a knack for supertuning Holley carb drivability. This is a useless talent, since Holleys are crap and a supertuned one is still far inferior to just about anything else, and the carb will go out of tune the first time the car owner's buddy sees it and says "Oh yeah, I can makes this run great". Then they screw it all up and it comes back to me to fix. This is why I keep notes on every car I tune, down to the turns on the mixture screw and secondary throttle stop. (Fortunately most people don't know to mess with that)

I have no shame in offering what practical knowledge I have to the GRM community. You guys have helped me out enough over the years. I've been reading the magazine since... well, the first issue I bought was the one where they put a radiator in the Ro-Spit.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/16/16 9:00 p.m.
The Hoff wrote: I'm an Audi, BMW, MINI, and VW technician. My advice? Don't buy any of those vehicles unless you like to work on them yourself...a lot. Like mentioned earlier, my advice is rarely taken anyway. Apparently I'm also biased because "I only see the broken ones".

I did one year as an Audi tech around 2007 before I tucked tail and ran back to Hondas.

I had enough fun swapping sludged up 1.8Ts to last a lifetime.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
5/16/16 9:07 p.m.

What I do for a living: Tax and Treasury work for a desalination company Willing to help: Always!

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 HalfDork
5/16/16 9:52 p.m.

I am currently a facility maintenance manager for Auburn University with a past life doing industrial maintenance for Hyundai Motors Manufacturing Alabama. Right out of school I worked for the EPA doing water and resource conservation. I will help when the rare chance presents itself. This thread is a reminder of why I love this forum, we have such a diverse group that's always willing to help a fellow GRM'er

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
5/16/16 10:43 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: Another appliance tech here. Yes I'll offer advice, though the OP has more experience.

Hey man! There are so few of us! What area are you in? I'm in central Oregon.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
5/16/16 11:26 p.m.

Almost 8 years with Costco.
No, I don't love you.
Most of you will benefit from an executive membership.
Worst case, we'l give you your money back.
Oh, yeah, I saved 50% on my car insurance by involving my exec membership.
(Full disclosure: that's most of what I can advise you on, professionally. Happy to help if you think of something else though.)

EvanR
EvanR Dork
5/16/16 11:52 p.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: Almost 8 years with Costco.

Are all those "secret Costco hacks" posts legit?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/17/16 5:21 a.m.

Oh yeah, since my lifelong obsession of motor vehicles has come in conflict with my lack of funds to be able to purchase/rent enough space to build a car, much less the car itself, in an area with schools for my kids, I have started to play politics.

But we can't talk about that one here.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o5yDcWsabyIVuhVWqQiN9JvpRfwsk73K7CbFNK4FdJq9bkYTz4OK9YwmTzkwJNxO