EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/3/09 8:30 p.m.

This is freakin' awesome.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/3/09 8:53 p.m.

You do know I absolutely refuse to walk into a hobby shop, right? You ain't helpin'.

EastCoastMojo
9/3/09 9:02 p.m.

I ain't been accused of helpin' in a LONG time

Butch_86
Butch_86 New Reader
9/3/09 9:24 p.m.

I have an old box of HO trains in the basement...perhaps a challenge is in order...

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
9/3/09 9:24 p.m.

That is WAY cool!

The next logical step would be a scale model of the 14+ mile Nurinburgring (sp?) race track.

For slot cars....

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Dork
9/3/09 9:29 p.m.

an old friend of mine ex-wife's step father had a 2nd garage made just for his trains.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
9/3/09 9:43 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote: That is WAY cool! The next logical step would be a scale model of the 14+ mile Nurinburgring (sp?) race track. For slot cars....

That would be the most amazing thing ever. Especially if you could get some kind of elevation change on the track.

You taking donations?

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
9/3/09 10:32 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: ... Especially if you could get some kind of elevation change on the track. You taking donations?

Heck, duplicating topography is half the fun of building these things. It's amazing what you can do with hardware cloth, chicken wire, paper mache, spray glue, flock, expanding foam, and rattlecans.

And yes, you may send me whatever funds you can, and I'll see what I can do. The design stage might take a while, so just keep sending money until you hear back from me... first step, get a REALLY large warehouse.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
9/4/09 5:41 a.m.

Model Railroading...what a wonderful, expensive hobby. This is something I tinker with over the winter months. I had HO as a kid, started in N this time around due to space, and now (follow this logic) am into O scale narrow gauge. "On30" is becoming really popular thanks to some good equipment and it's very "grassroots" because you can throw the prototype book out the window. The more archaic, run-down, rusty, funky, cobbled together something looks the more it fits narrow gauge railroading. A sample:

Those of you who think you may want to try some model railroading but can't find the space for it...well, you'd be wrong. It's amazing what you can do in a truly tiny space. Once you get past wanting to have really long trains, the hobby offers endless possibilities for enjoyable construction. Here's a whole site devoted to layouts that will fit on a dining room table or less: Mini and micro layouts And of course, those layouts may need vehicles...

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/4/09 7:19 a.m.

I used to be totally obsessed with trains as a kid, my parents even opened a hobby-shop in the basement of their store for me when I was 12. I eventually grew out of it, but finally sold all my HO stuff last year when I realized A.) I have enough expensive & time consuming hobbies, and B.) As much as I still like trains, I'm much more interested in real ones & their history now.

BTW, if you ever need an excuse to stop by & visit, this place is here in my hometown. Check out their layout! Rossville, IL Railroad Museum

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
9/4/09 7:21 a.m.

I go for Rarity. My train set was my fathers. It's a 1950's American Flyer S Guage.

cars and engine are worth about $2k by last estimate. thats 9? cars

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/4/09 7:33 a.m.

Check out Sam Posey's Playing with Trains:

http://www.amazon.com/Playing-Trains-Passion-Beyond-Scale/dp/1400061784

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
9/4/09 7:44 a.m.

I inherited a bunch of HO stuff from an uncle of mine about 50 years ago. It was all hand made by him and the cars are beautiful. I've been toting this stuff around ever since I got it. Hopefully I will get a chance to set it up before I die.

EastCoastMojo
9/4/09 8:18 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: I inherited a bunch of HO stuff from an uncle of mine about 50 years ago. It was all hand made by him and the cars are beautiful. I've been toting this stuff around ever since I got it. Hopefully I will get a chance to set it up before I die.

Do it.

Do it do it do it do it.

And take some pix.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u3PtcQHHlcL6zT2p4M7xU0naHF4LHillqhuSew7Y8arqLGHsFJ0vAPc2jNE9mXHC