1 2 3
T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
8/11/15 10:00 a.m.

Apologize for the thread title. I didn't spend too much time trying to come up with something better.

Anyway, I got a Crutchfield catalog in the mail recently, and was looking at it this morning before tossing it in the recycling bin and it occurred to me that the fact that I could casually look through it and then toss it, or sometimes not even look at it before tossing it would be something that would blow the mind of the 17 year old me. The 17 year old version of me would've studied that thing, read the cover off of it and dreamed about only having enough money to blow some of it on a new car stereo or some decent speakers. It made me wonder what else would fall into that category. One example, is the teenaged version of me would be shocked to find out I rarely wash my cars and I haven't put any armor all on my tires in decades. I used to wash my rusty, sun-faded Mazda GLC at least once a week including detailing the interior. Now I think I have cleaned the interior of my WRX maybe twice since I bought it in 2012. (It's not terribly filthy in there, but the floor mats hold a good amount of sand, and the rest is really just needing to be dusted).

I'm sure there are lots more, but what about you guys. What things would make an earlier version of yourself roll their eyes in amazement? In other words, what are some differences in how you turned out that are different than you l ong ago thought you'd turn out?

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/11/15 10:04 a.m.

You had me at GLC.

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
8/11/15 10:06 a.m.

The younger me would be surprised I've not watched a complete professional hockey game in the last decade.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/15 10:07 a.m.

I get excited to do things like sand my floors in my house or add some paint here and there.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
8/11/15 10:08 a.m.

The younger me would wonder how I survived this long without running into Darwin.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
8/11/15 10:09 a.m.

I bought the worst condition running and driving car in an 80 km radius.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
8/11/15 10:12 a.m.

The younger me would have been surprised that I was still using fossil fuels in my vehicle and that NORML actually succeeded, or maybe that it took so long.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/15 10:15 a.m.

The younger me didn't have any highly specific expectations, but would be surprised that I grew up to be a cyberpunk character instead of a yuppie. That just seemed to be the natural way of things in the '90s.

I don't think I realized what a E36 M3 sandwich I was in until my late teens/early 20s. Around that age I was worried that I might grow up to be a hobo, so...yay?

pres589
pres589 UberDork
8/11/15 10:18 a.m.

17 year old me wouldn't expect thirtycough year old me to work as an engineer on aircraft. Or still live in Kansas. My vision for my future at 17 was pretty lacking in the whole vision aspect. I guess that part hasn't changed much.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/11/15 10:21 a.m.

Yeah, I second that thing about the audio stuff. Younger me pined for a high-zoot sound system, both in the car and at home. Now that I could actually afford it, I'm fine as long as it plays clearly and has a little bass to it.

Younger me would be surprised that I own neither a boat nor a motorcycle.

Spawn of a New Day
Spawn of a New Day MegaDork
8/11/15 10:22 a.m.

A teenage me would walk right past old me and not notice. The throat punch I delivered would surprise him.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
8/11/15 10:27 a.m.

When I was 12:

"I need two 12" subs and a massive amplifier and a double din nav system"

Now:

"A properly tuned system with two a-pillar mounted tweeters, a 6.5 in each front door and two 6x9s on the rear deck run through a discreet underseat 150w amp and a blaupunkt head unit would be absolutely perfect"

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
8/11/15 10:30 a.m.

Teenaged me could stay up till 4 am and sleep till noon. Older me can't sleep past 9 and anything past 8 makes my joints creak and pop when I do stagger upright.

+100 on the Crutchfield catalog thing. Now I wonder why they even bother printing the stupid things.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
8/11/15 10:31 a.m.

This thread could take me to a dark place... I think the younger me might be surprised that I'm still dreaming about nice cars, but the dream is fading. Cool cars (especially old ones) just aren't practical. Neither my Camaro, nor my Triumph Bonneville have left the garage in almost a year. The Woodward Dream Cruise is less than a week away and I am not very excited about it. I was going to try to resuscitate the Camaro for Saturday, but that is starting to look doubtful...

On a happier note, I ran ten miles last Sunday. Just because, long run day. A younger (and much fatter) me would be blown away by that fact.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/15 10:31 a.m.

That I enjoy the peace solitude of doing accounting work

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/11/15 10:32 a.m.

You have..... MAZDAS?

Ew. Why?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
8/11/15 10:33 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: You have..... MAZDAS? Ew. Why?

Funny, 12 year old me would be like "Why the hell don't you have an FB RX-7?"

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
8/11/15 10:33 a.m.

The younger me would be shocked it took me until 43 years old to seriously try autocrossing.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
8/11/15 10:34 a.m.

17 year old me would pretty much be surprised about everything in my life. What I'm doing for a living (software middle management v. pediatric plastic surgeon), who I'm married to (someone from my high school I didn't know existed at 17), how much weight I've gained, etc.

Probably surprised that I don't read AutoTrader religiously anymore, but blown away be Ebay and Craigslist. I'm sure wondering why I don't have a fleet of old British cars instead of a new truck and two new Fiats.

I'm 99% sure he'd think my son is wicked cool, though.....

-Rob

The Gathering Darkness
The Gathering Darkness MegaDork
8/11/15 10:38 a.m.
WilD wrote: On a happier note, I ran ten miles last Sunday. Just because, long run day. A younger (and much fatter) me would be blown away by that fact.

NICE! I just did my 1st 20 miler in prep for the Steamtown Marathon Sunday AM. Even old me is surprised about that. Young me would not understand. Because I'm running away from the Grim Reaper.

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
8/11/15 10:41 a.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: When I was 12: "I need two 12" subs and a massive amplifier and a double din nav system" Now: "A properly tuned system with two a-pillar mounted tweeters, a 6.5 in each front door and two 6x9s on the rear deck run through a discreet underseat 150w amp and a blaupunkt head unit would be absolutely perfect"

When I was 12 there was no such thing as a double DIN nav system....other than on the space shuttle.

I think my teenage self would find it hard to believe I weigh 180+ lbs.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
8/11/15 10:43 a.m.

In reply to rob_lewis:

Younger me would be aghast that I don't even know the current models offered for sale by Lamborghini or Ferrari and that I only look at Motor Trend/Autoweek/Car and Driver if I am in a waiting room at the doctor's office.

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
8/11/15 10:45 a.m.

The younger me would be dissapointed that I had a faster Mustang when I was 19 than I have now.....but he would be happy at the fact that I have my own garage and tools to work on any of my cars.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
8/11/15 10:48 a.m.

High school me would be surprised I don't own muscle car, sad that I don't own a viper, and probably stay in college taking networking classes (back in 2001) when he saw how E36 M3ty my job is.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
8/11/15 10:53 a.m.

I spend 10 hours a day in a tiny grey cube, and i havent bought a gun, or even any ammo in the last ten years.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pTTFOqoGDD8OsKrUvOcs2BETJXZXUePwvSiumUA4LjvEgFSUv7dtrUKqc5yv5nrv