1 2 3
bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
8/11/15 1:24 p.m.

I own not just a Volvo, but Volvos, and I think they're cool. Younger me couldn't grasp that.

I actually miss mowing/raking hay on the farm, hard work, but simpler and rewarding. Younger me prayed for getting rained out, or to be done as soon as possible.

Younger me would be annoyed that I still have a 4 cylinder in Muffin, he'd be right ya know.

Older me wants the $$$ younger me wasted on countless head units, amplifiers, speakers, and subwoofers back.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
8/11/15 1:31 p.m.

> I wanted a Macintosh back then, preferably a Powerbook 100. This so far beyond my means it was silly.

Current me would tell 17-year-old me to buy Apple stock instead, so current me could be a millionaire. And 17-year-old me would not listen.

tedium850
tedium850 New Reader
8/11/15 1:33 p.m.

Many...

My 67 mustang that was my dd though high school, college, and early work and took down to fix "right" when I got a good paying job, has now been sitting in the shop for 20 years.

Work has taken over life at times...see above..

Amazingly, I became a Christian.. The 17 year old me would have argued with the current me just to argue not caring if he (I) was right or wrong.

Life is not all about me and my wants. The 17 year old knew that, but maybe didn't understand it fully...I'm not sure the 47 year old does

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/11/15 1:38 p.m.

The 17 year old me did not realize that life and kids would be so expensive

skierd
skierd SuperDork
8/11/15 2:25 p.m.

17 year old me would be amazed that I haven't been skiing in over a decade and that I never spent a winter ski-bumming out west. He'd be disappointed that I never thru-hiked the AT. He'd be amazed that I haven't owned and seriously campaigned a race car, autocross excepted. That it's still hard to afford playing with cars and toys despite making so much more than I did back then.

But he'd also be amazed, I hope, that I rode a dirt bike cross country alone multiple times, eventually rode it to Alaska and moved here, and that I'm married and happy.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
8/11/15 2:38 p.m.

Even as late as 23, I would have never imagined living across the country, making decent money, married to a hot woman, and probably riding MTB faster and harder than I ever have, all without yet having a child.

I thought by 30 I'd still be searching for a good job in my home town.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
8/11/15 2:59 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote:
NOHOME wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote: I bought the worst condition running and driving car in an 80 km radius.
Hey...I dont think you are old enough to play this game! As to your car issue, hey, its called "failure" most of us leave a trail of the stuff behind us as we get older. The key word here is "Behind us" as that frees us up to move on to other things and build the road to success. "Wisdom comes from experience and experience comes from a lack of wisdom". Not my words but very true. What happens with your car is not nearly as important as what you are going to get out of the experience in the long term. Hang around. Let us re-visit this in about 5 years. Or what I call the blink of an eye.
I think it's called "stupidity" and "accidentally skipping my meds" that made me purchase it.

I have always maintained that if you dare to be stupid, your life will be more interesting. Have you seen the Molvo project? Can you think of a more stupid way to spend time and $$$?

I have had a string of silly car projects that cost me a lot of money, but never any regrets. The "first" always sting a bit when you move on. First girlfriend, first car first job... ect

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
8/11/15 4:01 p.m.

17 year old men would think 32 year old me is a loser. Never got that mustang or Trans am I wanted, don't even have a car of my own at all now because work minivan. Also don't have a garage to keep a car in or work on it in anyways lol

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
8/11/15 6:36 p.m.

The younger me bought a new 1980 turbo Capri... the 1980 Corolla wasn't even on the radar... if the younger me knew what the older me would do with said Corolla... it would have made the list

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/11/15 7:01 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: > I wanted a Macintosh back then, preferably a Powerbook 100. This so far beyond my means it was silly. Current me would tell 17-year-old me to buy Apple stock instead, so current me could be a millionaire. And 17-year-old me would not listen.

Truth. Even the iBook I eventually bought would have made me a multi-hundred-thousandaire by now.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/11/15 7:51 p.m.

17 year old would be shocked that 53 year guy is considering retirement in 9 years and dumping this 2600 sq ft house for a small town house or condo. Also 17 year old guy would be totally pissed I haven't yet got that 1972 BMW 2002.

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/11/15 8:44 p.m.

I was 17 when I set eyes on my Triumph. He would be shocked that the Spitsix had only covered a few hundred miles in 50 years.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
8/11/15 8:59 p.m.

17 year old me would be shocked imade to my 30s. It would also be shocked at the girl from high school that I marrmarried. Would not be surprised at two muscle cars in the driveway, but would slap the E36 M3 outta me for one being a chevy.

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock PowerDork
8/11/15 9:06 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Please describe in detail the act of marrmarring someone...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
8/11/15 9:09 p.m.

berkeleying phone....

Shoulda read married. But I can make something up. Id prefer gps to do it.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/11/15 11:00 p.m.

17 year old me would be very disappointed that 35 year old me is still not a transformer.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
8/11/15 11:12 p.m.

The 17-year-old me be stoked that I live in northern California. He really wanted to move after visiting the bay area when he was 16. He would really like my wife. He would be surprised by how tall I am. (I grew about four inches between age 17 and 20)

He would be annoyed by the fact that I have not bought a Porsche. I think he would forgive me if explained I used my car money to tires, driving schools and entry fees for autocross and track days. He would give me no end of crap for being overweight.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PVZvwJV0VIfVsEyYGLvQbOFsCGMmQsNPLYwYHyKJcRRQ0I1ovHbT8TwbnNjHQFL6