1 2 3
secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/3/24 1:39 p.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

Agree on the lunch thing.  We get 45 minutes for lunch and there isn't a single place that you can get to, sit down, eat, and make it back to work in 45 minutes. However, one can usually go to the drive thru at Burger King and make it back in time...Whooo!

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
3/3/24 2:34 p.m.

In reply to secretariata (Forum Supporter) :

I'll give credit where credit is due for the office park that I currently work in.  The site management company makes a good effort to have food trucks on site at least twice a week, sometimes more.  While not the most economical, at least it's an opportunity to have something different, and you can typically have food in hand within 10 minutes.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/3/24 3:11 p.m.

E36 M3ty parking jobs. 1st shift DOESN'T GIVE A SINGLE berkeley about how they park. All of us would like a closer spot, especially in inclement weather. At least 10-15 parking spots are rendered unusable because 1st shift couldn't bother to straighten out. We second shifters get screwed every single day.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/3/24 3:32 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to DarkMonohue :

Who are you and when does your first novel come out because that was art. 

You flatter me, sir.  I have considered writing, but considering I can barely muster enough focus to finish a load of laundry, an entire book seems like a pretty big hill to climb.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/4/24 8:08 a.m.
Datsun240ZGuy said:
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Hotels generally suck.

I travel for work too - I'm tired of hotels.  

Hotels suck but better than a squat or in the van with four other smelly dudes. 

"Open office" space. Offices were too nice. Cubicles were too nice. Now we just have some flat areas to "land on" when needed, no personal or storage space, and nowhere to have a quiet conversation (even with a customer). I swear office remodeling companies must come up with this stuff, because it can't be someone that actually uses an office to do work. cool

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
3/4/24 8:18 a.m.

In reply to Puddy46 :

Our management brings food trucks on site once in a while as well.  It's a great alternative to going to a local place if you want to pay twice the going rate and wait 3x as long for a meal.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
3/4/24 9:41 a.m.

I get 30min for lunch, that gives me enough time to go to the E36 M3ty McD's that my coworkers complain about every day, or Dairy Queen.  And maybe enough time to eat it quickly if the line wasn't long.

I have been bringing something to microwave or sandwichs for at least 15yrs.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/4/24 9:51 a.m.
M2Pilot said:

Hell, let's change that to any Muzak.

I'm in charge of music in our office, because my computer has decent satellites and a subwoofer.

So my coworkers get to listen to whatever I feel like listening to.

Jerry said:

I have been bringing something to microwave or sandwiches for at least 15yrs.

Yeah, me too.  I've almost always brought lunch.  I can't afford the money or the calories to go out every day.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/4/24 10:12 a.m.

I worked for years in one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world, a lunchtime paradise and I had as much time as I wanted most days for lunch. I ended up 30lbs overweight which is a lot on my frame. When I transferred to a division out of the city my diet turned 180 degrees and I lost that weight. Now I cook  specifically for my work days and if it's something especially good I make enough for the apprentice and the other apprentice too if he's working. Neither of them want me to leave now. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
3/4/24 10:28 a.m.

On Friday afternoon, after I had logged out for the week, someone from the Birmingham office sent out an email congratulating everyone at the office on a major project "win" and notifying them that there would be a celebratory luncheon the following week.  The problem was, they sent this email to...

EVERY MOTHERberkeleyER IN THE WHOLE berkeleyING COMPANY WORLDWIDE

This morning I logged in to find hundreds of emails from increasingly desperate people asking to be deleted from the email thread.  Everyone replied-all.  As this dragged on into Friday evening and Saturday morning, a few enterprising trolls started coming up with memes, animated gifs, and even one short movie, memorializing The Great Reply-All Debacle of March 1rst, 2024.  

A smattering of emails is still trickling in.  I'm sitting here laughing my ass off at the spectacle.  I saved a few of the choicer emails, and plan on sending out a mass email in exactly 1 year, memorializing the anniversary of this event.  

EDIT:  Outlook tells me there are now 174 emails received from this chain.  Oh, another notification just came in, make it 175.  

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/4/24 11:10 a.m.

Appropos of not much, but bitching about work....

Have any of you heard of, or use this social-media App called "Blind"?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blind

Founded2013; 11 years agoHeadquartersSan Francisco, California, U.S.OwnerTeamblind, Inc.Founder(s)

IndustryProfessional NetworkingURLwww.teamblind.com

Blind is an app that provides an anonymous forum and community for verified employees to discuss issues. Users on Blind are grouped by topics, company and their broader industry. The app verifies that the registered users actually work in the company through their work email and claims to keep user identities untraceable....

...According to its app pages on the iOS App Store and Google Play, it has registered employees from over 83,000 companies.[7] According to Forbes,[8] the app is being used worldwide and is influencing corporate decisions by giving executives information about employees' concerns.[9]

As with most social media apps. all I see is a lot of features and few if any benefits. However, I know someone who was hired and while I do not want to waterboard them about what the point of this might be, I do.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/4/24 11:11 a.m.

Two complaints here:

One, we've got a couple of guys in the shop who don't berkeleying lift their feet when they walk. So you just hear them scuff-scuff-scuffing around the shop.

Two, we've got a couple of guys who have big sound systems on the toolbox and I don't know why the guys who buy those always have the worst taste in music. Nothing like listening to 8 hours of hick-hop, the most ignorant, dreadul, cliche-spewing music I've ever heard. Even better, you have a guy that will play music that he doesn't even like because the guy directly across the shop hates it, and the two of them don't get along.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
3/4/24 11:30 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

First of all, I hate berkeleying shufflers.

Second...I was at a vendor's shop in Dallas last year doing some engineering evaluations on a failed component.  We were out in the repair facility, there were dozens of guys swarming around, engineers, etc.  And there was EXTREMELY loud music thumping from some professional-looking DJ-type speakers.  It was so loud we had a hard time talking.  

At one point in the work, we had an overhead crane coming in to lift up a component.  The technician hooked up the 10 ton crane, and gave the signal to the crane operator to hoist it up.  He pressed the button, put tension on the crane, but the part didn't budge.  Instead of trying to figure out what was wrong, he kept holding down the 'Up' button.  Right as the technician was getting ready to look and see what might be wrong, the hook broke out of the unit, went shooting upward with 20,000 pounds of force behind it, and then crashed back down.  This hook probably weighed 10 pounds or so- not to mention the cable it was attached to.  I was about 20 feet away from it when it happened; other guys were closer than I was.  No one was injured, but if that hook had landed on someone's head, they'd likely have been leaving the facility in a box.

Turns out, the technician had missed a few of the bolts holding the assembly together.  

I am not normally Mr. Safety Nazi, but I reported that one as far up the chain as I could reach.  In my opinion, the loud music was a distraction and inhibited communication that could have prevented the situation.   Work is berkeleying work.  Play music at home, or in your car.  

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
3/4/24 2:44 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

On Friday afternoon, after I had logged out for the week, someone from the Birmingham office sent out an email congratulating everyone at the office on a major project "win" and notifying them that there would be a celebratory luncheon the following week.  The problem was, they sent this email to...

EVERY MOTHERberkeleyER IN THE WHOLE berkeleyING COMPANY WORLDWIDE

This morning I logged in to find hundreds of emails from increasingly desperate people asking to be deleted from the email thread.  Everyone replied-all.  As this dragged on into Friday evening and Saturday morning, a few enterprising trolls started coming up with memes, animated gifs, and even one short movie, memorializing The Great Reply-All Debacle of March 1rst, 2024.  

A smattering of emails is still trickling in.  I'm sitting here laughing my ass off at the spectacle.  I saved a few of the choicer emails, and plan on sending out a mass email in exactly 1 year, memorializing the anniversary of this event.  

EDIT:  Outlook tells me there are now 174 emails received from this chain.  Oh, another notification just came in, make it 175.  

These are the train wrecks I live for.  Nothing makes my day more than a Reply-All Incident.

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
3/4/24 2:46 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Appropos of not much, but bitching about work....

Have any of you heard of, or use this social-media App called "Blind"?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blind

Founded2013; 11 years agoHeadquartersSan Francisco, California, U.S.OwnerTeamblind, Inc.Founder(s)

IndustryProfessional NetworkingURLwww.teamblind.com

Blind is an app that provides an anonymous forum and community for verified employees to discuss issues. Users on Blind are grouped by topics, company and their broader industry. The app verifies that the registered users actually work in the company through their work email and claims to keep user identities untraceable....

...According to its app pages on the iOS App Store and Google Play, it has registered employees from over 83,000 companies.[7] According to Forbes,[8] the app is being used worldwide and is influencing corporate decisions by giving executives information about employees' concerns.[9]

As with most social media apps. all I see is a lot of features and few if any benefits. However, I know someone who was hired and while I do not want to waterboard them about what the point of this might be, I do.

If you work for a bigcorp, there is probably already a subreddit for your company.  Ive definitely browsed mine from time to time.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/4/24 3:55 p.m.

I don't exactly dislike this, though it inconveniences me regularly:

Boss2 is kind of like Albert Einstein...  Remember how legend was that Einstein had 7 identical suits, so he never had to think about what he wore?

Boss2 is like that, except with food.  He will find something he likes, and then eat only that pretty much continuously until he no longer likes it.

Right now the fridge at work is stuffed with 8-10 boxes of some sort of Starbucks-branded premade egg snack things, undoubtedly sourced from Costco.  This is something like 20 servings.  They won't go home with him.  They will tie up most of the fridge, until they are gone.  In the meantime, there is hardly any space for any of us who bag lunch on a daily basis.

This isn't the first palette load of these particular items.  He's been eating them pretty much all of 2024 so far.  Eventually he will discover something else (hopefully in smaller packaging) and then he will eat that for months.  Before this, it was proscuitto or salami pre-rolled around string cheese sticks.  The last (unopened) pack of those has been languishing in the back of the fridge since the holidays, when apparently his attention latched onto these current things.

We used to go out to lunch more frequently, and he would always want to go to the same restaurant... until he didn't, and then it would switch to some other place.

It doesn't directly affect me (other than inconvenience), but it is... different.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
3/4/24 3:55 p.m.

Round Toilets... 

just... Why?!?!

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/4/24 6:47 p.m.

Boss2 is like that, except with food.  He will find something he likes, and then eat only that pretty much continuously until he no longer likes it.

I am somewhat like that. I make all my food for my weeks work at the same time and eat the same thing every day and, barring leftovers, I'll make the same thing every week. And since I work 12's I eat all three meals at work. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
3/4/24 7:56 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

My wife sometimes gets tired and does that - hey, I tell her, knock it off cause your going to wear your shoes out.  

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
3/4/24 8:19 p.m.

Coworkers that wants to talk politics. berkeley no! I don't want to hear or talk about it. It will all go to sh1t if you do. Just avoid it.....please! Some people really cannot help themselves. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/5/24 8:23 a.m.

The company who stocks our vending machine has no grasp on the concepts of supply and demand.

There'll be two or three rows of a product that barely or never sells. Then they'll put in a drink or snack that gets bought out in a day or two. When they come back the next week to stock it, do they restock that popular item, maybe even add another row or two of it? Nope, they instead just fill the empty slot with more rows of the stuff that never sells. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g3rfe48xHILdOyDwuHesRM4G0IAJdTXa41onHw2hX5CULCV1ahIBxlNVCsbBLRFE