1 ... 5 6 7 8
Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
3/3/15 9:21 p.m.

Today, Nick learned why we don't use our real names on the internet..

I'm confused on a point here..

How does a car sitting in your driveway, not moving cost you money?

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
3/3/15 9:36 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Today, Nick learned why we don't use our real names on the internet.. I'm confused on a point here.. How does a car sitting in your driveway, not moving cost you money?

She's been reading the forum for years

And to answer your question, just because I didn't drive it much towards the end, doesn't mean I was keeping my hands off of it.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-plasti-dipped-e21/52192/page1/

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1980-bmw-320i-rallycross-edition/62070/page1/

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
3/3/15 10:29 p.m.

I usually stay out of these things... but here it goes...

It takes a special kind of person to tolerate a gearhead spouse. Our hobby takes up lots of time, money, and unlike some others, space. I am lucky to have a wife that tolerates 3 cars and a truck that belong to me, and 2 of the cars are needy project cars that are mainly immobile. Even if she's not nearly as into the hobby as I am (she likes car shows and the occasional leisurely junkyard stroll), she does tolerate all of the baggage that comes with it: the greasy car parts, the noise, the spending, and the endless talking about all things cars. After reading your wife's post, it looks like she tolerates it too.

There is no growing out of the car hobby. Like many of you guys, I've been immersed in the hobby since I was a kid. I'm now 33 and I plan on doing this as long as I live. I've met a lot of you guys in person over the years and I know that you guys are all the same way. There's no "cure" for the "car disease" because it's not a disease at all; it's a blessing.

Nick, your situation changed, and I think you should buy some sort of vehicle. You don't have to get a race car, but I think your wife would agree that it would be way safer and more convenient for you to have your own ride.

And I like the Jeep idea too.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
3/3/15 10:38 p.m.

We're telling him to get a cheap car and the next minute, telling him to buy a Jeep.

Nick, go buy a damn Camry.

Seriously, it's the only appliance car that they have never made a "fun" version of.

You can't upgrade it or modify it, just enjoy it's soul-crushing beigeness.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/15 10:39 p.m.

Nick -

While your wife may never be a gearhead, she obviously understands you and your hobby. You've done well!

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
3/3/15 11:14 p.m.

This really is the perfect vehicle for his winter commuter and utility vehicle.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4907472921.html

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/3/15 11:21 p.m.

In reply to Cotton:

I'm not sure if you meant that to be derogatory... but I accept the interest and thank the sweet (insert jesus-like deity here) that E36 M3 is the functional equivalent of a galaxy away from me.

I love those stupid things and E36 M3ty cragars only make the lump in my pants obvious to everyone.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
3/4/15 1:05 a.m.

Ansens..

Those are Ansen wheels you uneducated philistine.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
3/4/15 7:53 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

I feel the same way. If that were closer I think several of us would be fighting over it!

Storz
Storz Dork
3/4/15 8:34 a.m.

It was posted earlier about the deal being on when you had a company truck, totally understandable. But now that you don't, go buy a car. In todays world a vehicle is nearly a necessity.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/4/15 8:46 a.m.

I won't make any further comments on Nick's marriage. I will only say this: I will ALWAYS keep a paid for project car. His situation is EXACTLY why. The J-H might be a garage queen most of the time, but if something goes belly up with the Xterra I still have a way to get around and stay reasonably dry/warm. The bike is the 'expendable' member of my fleet.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/5/15 6:11 a.m.

In reply to Nick_Comstock:

"Lets get one thing straight. This never was, ever, about money."

In reply to Nick_Comstock's wife:

"When that deal was made, he had a company vehicle, the bike and a 1982 BMW...obviously, not all three were being driven so WE decided to get rid of the BMW, as it was costing us more money sitting in the driveway."

octavious
octavious HalfDork
3/5/15 7:02 a.m.

There is a guy on ADVrider selling the HD Sportster kit for $400, shipped to your door. It's this kit:

http://www.dmcsidecars.com/sidecar_mounts/mounts-for-harley-davidson/

I can't link the add because you have to have a login to see the for sale section.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
3/5/15 7:15 a.m.

In reply to octavious:

Veeery Interesting...

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

Selling the BMW was about money, and she was wrong, it was my idea originally, I asked her opinion on it and she agreed that the money would come in handy. At that point it became our decision. I stand by my statement, the "break" from buying cars was not about money.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/5/15 7:43 a.m.

There are side cars, and then there's down-right silliness:

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/5/15 8:41 a.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: In reply to octavious: Veeery Interesting... In reply to volvoclearinghouse: Selling the BMW was about money, and she was wrong, it was my idea originally, I asked her opinion on it and she agreed that the money would come in handy. At that point it became our decision. I stand by my statement, the "break" from buying cars was not about money.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to be a dick (although I recognize I may come across that way some times) but I thought that exchange exemplified my points about money and communication being the two biggest challenges in marriage.

After 4 years we're still figuring it out ourselves, and it's challenging. In our case, we started out with over 40 cars (no, that's not a typo) and we're down to about 25 now- wioth plans to sell at least 6 more. As in your case, Mrs. VCH was not the impetus to pare down the fleet, but I came to the realization that keeping a small horde of vehicles, most of which were being neglected, was not conducive to a productive car hobby or a sound financial future.

To my mind, a household with 1 main car, a motorcycle, and a project/ driver car is not extravagant at all.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/5/15 11:10 a.m.

vch.. you're close by. whatcha got that you don't want anymore

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/5/15 11:23 a.m.

1980 Mercedes 450 SL, 1966 Volvo Amazon 4 door, 1969 Karmann Ghia, Possibly a '67 Imperial coupe, a 1948 Ford 2 door, and my 2000 F350 PSD.

I should start another thread, "Buy my cars!"

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/5/15 11:35 a.m.

hmm... the SL means it's the ragtop, right (vs SLC)? too bad, this wiki pic gives me horrible ideas.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/5/15 12:03 p.m.

Yeah, the SL's a convertible. And it's actually in really nice condition. My wife and I drove it on our honeymoon. Unfortunately, with a baby in the picture, it just doesn't make sense for us to keep it around. We have another convertible that has a back seat. :-)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/5/15 12:20 p.m.

You've got mail.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/5/15 12:34 p.m.

I'm selling an SL too. Mine's got a bigger engine.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/5/15 12:34 p.m.

My wife won't let me sell my '01 F350 PSD. It's the newest thing I own and the only car currently running that has AC.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/5/15 12:59 p.m.
bgkast wrote: I'm selling an SL too. Mine's got a bigger engine.

I had a 560SL for a bit. The 5.6 V8 was a great engine, loads of torque.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
3/5/15 1:00 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: In reply to volvoclearinghouse: My wife won't let me sell my '01 F350 PSD. It's the newest thing I own and the only car currently running that has AC.

We're downsizing a bit, probably going to sell the PSD and her 2 door Jimmy and get something in between, like a Suburban.

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sZpU5E3FVd3HqrKroSz3Jwfbw75MS0CNsRiQrhIr9vGBH0UsizWaJes36YaSAen0