1 2 3 4
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
5/12/15 10:45 a.m.

So, I love you guys and gals, but I’m massively confused and at times alarmed by peoples willingness to share deeply personal information on here, especially given the serious big brother is watching us vibe from many on here. People openly discuss the need for anti-anxiety meds, considering divorce, white powder found in relatives car etc. etc. OK, many hide behind different screen names, but it’s not too hard to figure out who is who.

Bravo for those who are willing to seek guidance and advice for serious issues, but this is some real serious stuff that comes up from time to time that may come back to bite people in the future be it employment, eager lawyer during a civil case etc. The only thread I recall being deleted was the famous Nitrous Fogger Jr, which still lives on at least on my hard drive.

Why not at least add another layer of anonymity. Can’t people create new ID. How about we all agree on a user name for things like this. Something like Arthur Dent, then Arthur Dent 1, Arthur Dent 2 etc. So when we see a new deeply personal thread with a ‘new reader’ by the name of Arthur Dent 42, we’ll know it’s one of our own?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/12/15 10:46 a.m.

Robert Paulson.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
5/12/15 10:47 a.m.

I can only imagine that getting hilariously out of hand pretty quickly, but it would be a hoot while it lasted.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/15 10:49 a.m.

A (decently separated from your real identity) pseudonym is good enough to keep employers or casual snoopers at bay, if you're trying to hide from the government and you're not a computer security expert, you should just do like Bin Laden did and not touch electronics with a 30-foot pole.

You'll notice I didn't set my birthday in my profile and I blur my plates in any pics of my cars that I post. I also don't give exact travel dates...lots of little things, but I am a computer security expert so I know what I'm doing.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
5/12/15 10:54 a.m.

Unfortunately, a generic screen name may not hide your identity. Some people are readily identified by their speech patterns, the way they write, their use of colloquialisms, or their described situation.

Case in point:

Dear Abby,

My husband is a liar and a cheat. He has cheated on me from the beginning, and, when I confront him, he denies everything. What's worse, everyone knows that he cheats on me. It is so humiliating. Also, since he lost his job 14 years ago, he hasn't even looked for a new one. All he does all day is smoke cigars, cruise around and shoot the bull with his buddies, while I have to work to pay the bills. Since our daughter went away to college he doesn't even pretend to like me, and even hints that I may be a lesbian.
What should I do?
Signed: Clueless

Dear Clueless: Grow up and dump him. You don't need him anymore! Good grief woman, you're running for President of the United States!

peter
peter Dork
5/12/15 10:55 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: ... if you're trying to hide from the government and you're not a computer security expert, you should just do like Bin Laden did and not touch electronics with a 30-foot pole.

Based on his results, I would suggest moving to next size up in non-electronics-touching poles. Maybe even +2?

GameboyRMH
5/12/15 10:59 a.m.
peter wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: ... if you're trying to hide from the government and you're not a computer security expert, you should just do like Bin Laden did and not touch electronics with a 30-foot pole.
Based on his results, I would suggest moving to next size up in non-electronics-touching poles. Maybe even +2?

Actually his pole was a little too big - he was spotted because his house was a communications void, like those stealth ships that were too stealthy and showed up as a hole in radar background noise. If he'd got himself an Internet connection and a phone line for his house and never used them, he'd still be running up his score in the world hide-and-seek championship today.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/12/15 10:59 a.m.

My generic name name is good enough to have 2 of us in traffic court on the same day generic.

What I'd really be concerned with is all those fools on Facebook.

slefain
slefain UberDork
5/12/15 11:08 a.m.

Doesn't bother me at all. And hey, GameboyRMH, you left the coffee pot on again. That's twice this month.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/12/15 11:12 a.m.

If it helps, I'm leaning against the divorce route. Cliff notes is that she needs more time to enjoy and unplug, I'm making her quit her part-time job. One day off a week isn't enough to keep one's sanity unless you're doing something that you're passionate about.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
5/12/15 11:19 a.m.

This is why I would rarely ever say who I worked for. All I'd have to say is "Major Cable Corporation" and I imagine people would figure it out on their own.

But I don't work for them any more so Comcast can suck it.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
5/12/15 11:20 a.m.

Am I the only one wondering about the Nitrous Fogger Jr thread? Cliff Notes?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
5/12/15 11:21 a.m.
drummerfromdefleopard wrote: If it helps, I'm leaning against the divorce route. Cliff notes is that she needs more time to enjoy and unplug, I'm making her quit her part-time job. One day off a week isn't enough to keep one's sanity unless you're doing something that you're passionate about.

And I'm pressing on, petition has been filed and so has her waiver of service.

Just need to get the decree ready and I'll be able to finalize it next week.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
5/12/15 11:36 a.m.

My pseudo user name is Adrien_Thompson.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
5/12/15 11:44 a.m.

Not sure if this thread is serious.

how about this? I dont care and I will post whatever I please on the internets. It does not concern me. I even use that evil Facebook you guys are talking about. And I share pictures on Instagram. Sometimes I share them on Instagram AND Facebook AT THE SAME TIME.

Also I frequently buy things off the internet, from sites such as Amazon.com, where I have had my credit card info compromised no less than 3 times. But the deals are so good its practically worth it!

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/12/15 11:47 a.m.

The white powdery substance was protein powder to mix in drinks.

GameboyRMH
5/12/15 11:47 a.m.
slefain wrote: And hey, GameboyRMH, you left the coffee pot on again. That's twice this month.

See now if you were actually spying on me, you might have known that I very rarely drink coffee

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/12/15 11:52 a.m.
drummerfromdefleopard wrote: If it helps, I'm leaning against the divorce route.

Just make sure it looks like an accident.

GameboyRMH
5/12/15 11:52 a.m.
jimbob_racing wrote: Am I the only one wondering about the Nitrous Fogger Jr thread? Cliff Notes?

Legendary thread from Duke_Of_Understeer about a couple of total assclowns (referred to with the pseudonyms Nitrous Fogger Jr. and Cut Off Sleeves) running a racing team clean into the ground with the approval of their doting boss. From what I understand the boss found the thread and DOU had to delete it.

bluej
bluej SuperDork
5/12/15 11:58 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: The white powdery substance was protein powder to mix in drinks.

NAILED IT!!!

failboat
failboat UltraDork
5/12/15 11:59 a.m.

oh I remember that fogger jr thread now. that was a great read.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
5/12/15 12:05 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Easily the best thread on grm forums, loved every minute of it.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/12/15 12:07 p.m.
bluej wrote:
bravenrace wrote: The white powdery substance was protein powder to mix in drinks.
NAILED IT!!!

In light of recent developments (this thread), I thought it prudent to state it for the record.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
5/12/15 12:10 p.m.
failboat wrote: Not sure if this thread is serious.

Yes I was/am serious.

I post here and on Facebook, but I don't discuss health, income, marital status etc. People are free to do that, I just worry about it from time to time.

trucke wrote: My pseudo user name is Adrien_Thompson.

GameboyRMH wrote: Legendary thread from Duke_Of_Understeer about a couple of total assclowns (referred to with the pseudonyms Nitrous Fogger Jr. and Cut Off Sleeves) running a racing team clean into the ground with the approval of their doting boss. From what I understand the boss found the thread and DOU had to delete it.

Did the boss really find out? Opps. See what I mean. I did snag it before it went away though, it's classic.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
5/12/15 12:25 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: This is why I would rarely ever say who I worked for. All I'd have to say is "Major Cable Corporation" and I imagine people would figure it out on their own. But I don't work for them any more so Comcast can suck it.

I actually had someone from work make some corrections to my post.

Remember back in 2010 when an MKS and a bunch of Euro cars raced up a mountain pass in Colorado? That thread.

Besides, we are "required" to out ourselves.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6kgMyLikuXBL2rwsfG96WA41rzUiZdyMyEO9tQBxwL2wXJzb8wUEHbXmqSr1D9LH