1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/3/23 12:34 p.m.
AClockworkGarage said:
Antihero said:

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

As long as it isn't FemShep I'm onboard though. The character model is an actual person who apparently hates the series or otherwise that could be kinda cool

I think you've got that backwards. Default Broshep is based on some model who couldn't care less. Fem shep is the good one with the better voice acting.

That's what I meant but wrote it poorly.

Isn't she voiced by the same person that did Bastilla on KOTOR?

Antihero
12/3/23 12:39 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

The thing about Mass Effect is that the story is already out there and has already been told, and you can't really use that universe to support another story because the one from the games was so monumental that everything fundamentally changed at the end.  Retelling the story of the game doesn't really work without major rewrites because TV vs game media are so different, and that's in addition to the "MY shepard made different choices" complaints.  So you wind up with something that neither original nor a faithful adaptation, and that's unlikely to please anyone.

Fallout, OTOH, is a universe where the stories in the games are much smaller in scope.  That makes it much more conducive to writing a new story, set in a new part of the Fallout world where there isn't any inconvenient pre-existing plot to worry about.

I more or less agree. It would almost have to be a series that leads to the next game or something, which could be cool.

Or like Andromeda, which I thought was a cool game that would have been much better received if it didn't have "Mass Effect" in the title.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/3/23 1:39 p.m.

Another trailer.  This looks a bit more gritty in places, but still not as gritty as I would like to see:

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/3/23 3:05 p.m.

Fallout, OTOH, is a universe where the stories in the games are much smaller in scope.  That makes it much more conducive to writing a new story, set in a new part of the Fallout world where there isn't any inconvenient pre-existing plot to worry about.

Absolutely. I've wanted to use it as a setting for tabletop gaming. It would fit great.

Watching the trailers, I'm worried that they AREN'T going to do that. We've got New Vegas, Brotherhood of Steel, Mr. House's robots, NCR Ranger...

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/3/23 3:33 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

Absolutely. I've wanted to use it as a setting for tabletop gaming. It would fit great.

Watching the trailers, I'm worried that they AREN'T going to do that. We've got New Vegas, Brotherhood of Steel, Mr. House's robots, NCR Ranger...

Perhaps, perhaps not.  The Brotherhood is in every Fallout game, they're one of the few nationwide orgs left.  In fact, I would argue that the Brotherhood is almost as essential to the Fallout universe as the presence of vaults.  The NCR doesn't quite have the same reach, but we know that they are present across much of California and Nevada.  I don't remember seeing New Vegas in the trailers -- OLD Vegas is there in a pre-nuke flashback as are a number of other cities.

Granted, the Securitron robots only appeared in the FNV game but according to the in-game lore the general design was a standard product and was sold to many customers not just Mr House.  They show up in the Big MT DLC pack, and while that might just have been saving money on art assets it establishes the design as something that could be placed in other settings without violating canon.

Anyway, this is far from a guarantee.  Fingers crossed.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
12/3/23 7:21 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

Boom. Interesting system, hardest part is finding people to play with, same as any TTRPG.

Well, that and finally getting around to painting all of the minis you will buy for no real reason...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/4/23 8:42 a.m.

Perhaps, perhaps not.  The Brotherhood is in every Fallout game, they're one of the few nationwide orgs left.  In fact, I would argue that the Brotherhood is almost as essential to the Fallout universe as the presence of vaults.

I think the BoS is very endemic of what I'm concerned about. That it could go very right, or they could miss the point completely. I think they've become integral to the Fallout world in the same way as Death Claws and Super Mutants. Which is to say, Bethesday shoehorned them into games set on the East Coast where it didn't make sense for them to be, rather than coming up with something new and unique.

I think New Vegas managed to look at the BoS and develop them in a unique and interesting direction that fit within and expanded upon existing lore. They're trapped in the past and fetishize ancient technology. They've become insular and stagnant and so are slowly making themselves extinct.

Bethesda looked at them and went "Power armor and lasers! Let's have them fly airship and tromp around with giant mechs!" They tried to make them morally complicated with 4, but it mostly felt boring and Edgelord to me.

It's all going to be in how these elements are handled. Do they understand *why* these elements are there and what commentary purposes they serve? Do they understand the nature of the satire that is at the heart of the Fallout world? Or do they just see the form of Power Armor, Vertiberds, Death Claws, Dogmeat, mutants,  and lasers. The trailers give me the strong impression that it's the latter. They show the fan-service surface elements, but not deeper commentary.

I mean... Fallout opened with an overt thesis statement: "War. War never changes." The good games have kept that at their heart. It's an idea that can be explored from a LOT of different angles. I'm not seeing signs of it in the trailers.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/4/23 8:48 a.m.

See... some of y'all take this E36 M3 way too seriously. I love FO. All of them. I love following the lore but it doesn't drive my opinion on the games or shows etc. It doesn't have to be the "perfect amount of grit" nor do they need to know why the BoS is the way it is or the underlying character flaws of Dogmeat (thats a joke). The fact that it is happening, on a large budget scale makes me happy. Not much makes me happy anymore so please stop E36 M3ting on everything you can, please? 

The only trailer I've seen looks awesome. The set, the setting looks right. I'm excited. Please don't kill it for me by way overthinking every last detail. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/4/23 9:47 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I'm not trying to E36 M3 on it. I legit don't know what it's going to be. That's what frustrates me.

I want to know ahead of time if this is something of quality created by people who share a love for something I care about, or if it's a cynical media play of "HeY yOu LoVe FaLlOuT! tHiS iS fAlLoUt, So YoU wAtCh ThIs NoW!" that I will be better off closing my eyes and pretending it doesn't exist.

I've grown up with video games as a part of my life. I am unashamed to care about them.

Lots of people here get bothered when car companies take a beloved sports car or muscle car marquee from the past and slap it onto a hybrid crossover that has a few body-line folds reminscint of the original. I think it is no more irrational for me to say, "Please please please do not E36 M3 all over the video game that I love."

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/4/23 9:52 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

But...we've seen the power of super-nerds. Witness Sonic, or, hell, most of anything Starwars.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/4/23 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Less you but there are several that have already shat all over it. I don't understand why people can't just be happy that something they love is getting shared with the rest of the world. less anger and angst and more happy. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
12/4/23 11:17 a.m.

I hope it turns out well and gets more eyes on Fallout as a whole, maybe a remaster of Fallout 1 & 2 as a result, who knows?

I remember being introduced to Fallout by a friend who said 'Hey, you like Daiblo 2, what about if it had guns?' And I was gifted a copy of Fallout to play at home. That original disc is long gone now, but I have the bundle disc of Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics as well as all 3 on Steam now.

I am among the minority of people who didn't mind Tactics. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/4/23 11:52 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

Less you but there are several that have already shat all over it. I don't understand why people can't just be happy that something they love is getting shared with the rest of the world. less anger and angst and more happy. 

Because 9 times out of 10, it's NOT the thing that they love. It's a hollow imitation. It's a Ferrari body kit on a Fiero. It's taking what they love and cheapening it.

It's Shyamalan turning Avatar into a movie.

I hope it's good. I hope this is Filloni making the first season of The Mandalorian. The trailers make me really afraid that it's going to be mistaking Edge for Satire.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/4/23 12:27 p.m.

but I love ferrari body kits on Fieros. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/4/23 12:28 p.m.

In reply to DjGreggieP :

I am the FO fan that actually liked NV the least. Still great and better than most games, but of the modern franchise, it's 3rd to me. 3>4>NV

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/4/23 2:26 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to DjGreggieP :

I am the FO fan that actually liked NV the least. Still great and better than most games, but of the modern franchise, it's 3rd to me. 3>4>NV

Your opinion is wrong.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
12/4/23 3:05 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I enjoyed some of the mechanics from NV since they were part of the things that I liked from F:2, but I did prefer the story of F:3 (and I have more games played to completion in F:3 vs. NV)

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/4/23 3:15 p.m.
DjGreggieP said:

In reply to bobzilla :

I enjoyed some of the mechanics from NV since they were part of the things that I liked from F:2, but I did prefer the story of F:3 (and I have more games played to completion in F:3 vs. NV)

My two followers are immune to radiation! Why the heck will they not go into the room and push the damned button?!?

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
12/4/23 3:32 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
DjGreggieP said:

In reply to bobzilla :

My two followers are immune to radiation! Why the heck will they not go into the room and push the damned button?!?

That you then magically recover from when the DLC launched... 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/4/23 6:59 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
bobzilla said:

In reply to DjGreggieP :

Your opinion is not wrong.

FTFY. 

sadly since Sony thinks that backwards compatibility is the devil I haven't played NV or 3 in several years. I have several hundred hours of 4. Like .... maybe more than several....

Antihero
12/4/23 10:22 p.m.

Red Dead Redemption should be made into a series as well

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/5/23 1:34 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Hmmm, might not be quite as unique a setting...

The Western ruled movie screens across America and the world for at least four decades—from the 1920s through the 1950s. More than 3,000 westerns were made.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
12/5/23 8:33 p.m.

I am very apprehensive about this. I've watched the trailer a few times now and there are a few things that worry me.

I know a few things about this setting. Someone earlier said they had a few hundred hours of playtime in FO4. Me too.

That's like 4300 give or take. I was a new Vegas Speedrunner (Glitchless console)  and I've played 3 enough to have figured out how to make a legit perfect character. A few years ago I made my own vault suit. Turns out I'm a fan.

I really want this to not suck. I was a star wars fan in 1995. Before the prequel hype, after the buzz of jedi had long since faded. I caught no end of bullying for it. Now disney has their claws in it and they're churning out endless garbage.

The aesthetics of the shiw do seem a bit too polished. The power armour is very CG and yet doesn't even look as good as the armour in game, and our definitely not lucas simms ghoul has smooth skin. I shouldn't even have to tell you what is wrong with that.

We're in Los Angeles, where is the NCR? Why are the Brotherhoid here in force? Why are they described as a "militaristic force trying to protect the wasteland"? They aren't. They're protecting the wasteland the same way Matt Geatz protects children. Lyons tried that and there was a schism that left him dead and Maxon in charge, and they were basically space Nazis.

The Prydwinn is a bit annoying too. Or whatever they're calling the identical not the prydwinn. This airship was constructed from the remains of the enclave crawler base and (not confirmed but heavily implied) Rivet City. Why is there another identical one on the other coast?

There's more but I'll spare you. These things are here because they're 'member-berries.

Remember the brotherhood?

Remember Megaton?

Remember Dogmeat?

Open your wallet you berkeleying nerd.

So yeah... I'm apprehensive.

Antihero
12/5/23 9:39 p.m.
aircooled said:

In reply to Antihero :

Hmmm, might not be quite as unique a setting...

The Western ruled movie screens across America and the world for at least four decades—from the 1920s through the 1950s. More than 3,000 westerns were made.

True, but that doesn't make RDR any less badass.

Fantastic games

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/6/23 8:16 a.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

I've got about 3k in FO4 last I checked. about 9 200-250hr play throughs along with many many aborted and deleted ones around 80-100 hrs in. 

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XRhN23MTf1Au0IVN3hLloJWe5qbNjgV1WLnaESvevImoh7dqqKyQU9Z49og02iFo