1 2
B430
B430 Reader
7/12/12 2:40 a.m.

What's everyone's opinion on window tint? I've noticed it seems to be going out of style on modified cars.

I've always liked tint. As long as it's normal tint, not colored or that ugly 2 tone wal mart stuff I think it looks good. I like the added privacy, I'm not the kind of person who likes attention. And it makes a huge difference on hot days.

Only downside I see is reduced visibility at night and that it can scratch easily.

Also nice if someone decides they want to smash out your window and rummage through your car, keeps the broken glass in one piece.

mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
7/12/12 2:45 a.m.

Keeps the heat down a bit.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
7/12/12 5:57 a.m.

I'm not a fan of decreased visibility, but I sure would like to cut the heat (and even more th UV). A while back I saw some talk of a clear tint that was 100% uv block, but I haven't checked into it. 3M maybe?

I've always thought about tinting the Mustang but never actually done it. As a matter of fact, I've never owned a tinted vehicle after the high school toyota I stripped the purple bubbly crap out of.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
7/12/12 7:01 a.m.

The heat management part puts tint on my wife's list of must have things for a daily driver. I didn't tint the BMW's windows since it's a convertible, but I did shell out extra for one of the newer tint versions for her Camry that's supposedly incapable of going purple.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/12/12 7:05 a.m.

Don't really care one way or the other about the looks part but it does help with heat management (that's why I am having the Trooper re-tinted today) and a few years ago I discovered that for people with a propensity for skin cancers it's possible to get a prescription for it. Doesn't mean the insurance co will pay, though.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
7/12/12 7:12 a.m.

On sports/fun cars, no. On appliances, yes.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
7/12/12 7:15 a.m.

I might like it.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
7/12/12 7:17 a.m.
B430 wrote: I've noticed it seems to be going out of style on modified cars.

I noticed the other day how almost everything on the road is tinted these days. Tint is the first thing I do. I see no downside.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
7/12/12 7:20 a.m.

I have Pa. state legal tint (15% IIRC, I dunno) on my '02 GP DD. IMO it does make a difference per the heat. It has scratched some but it's prolly 10 yrs old and still holding up well. I do like the added privacy as well. On particularly dark and rainy nights I have had to power down a window at an intersection to see clearly but that is pretty rare. For me, function over style. It's about time to upgrade to a later model DD, it may get it as well.

btw, I've never been pulled over by PD

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
7/12/12 8:04 a.m.

2 of my cars are tinted to 20%. I don't honestly notice a difference in visibility between the not tinted cars, and the two that ARE tinted, are used as daily drivers and transport of my spawn. Plus it keeps the prying eyes and the heat, out. I say do it.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
7/12/12 8:18 a.m.

Around here, very dark tint is an indicator of a police car, marked or not.

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
7/12/12 8:30 a.m.

We got black tint on my wife's black 5 Series, and it looks pretty badass. I'd do it again just for that

Powar
Powar Dork
7/12/12 8:56 a.m.

I'm a fan of window tint. When I had my '01 9-3, the (illegal) 15% window tint was one of the most functional additions to the car. It kept it cooler, helped protect the interior, increased privacy and looked nice. Even with tint that dark, nighttime visibility was never really an issue.

My Brougham had its windows tinted years ago, and I'm convinced that is one of the reasons that the interior is still in such nice shape.

If you're willing to shell out the money to have it done well, and you're planning to keep the car for a bit, I see no downside.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
7/12/12 9:04 a.m.

Cars for a long time have come with tint from the factory.

Just not much.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/12/12 9:05 a.m.

Related but tangent: How about the windshield. I know its illegal in most states but man o man would my Previa benefit from even the slightest tint on the windshield. My driveway is uphill and places the van at the perfect angle for the early afternoon sun to ROAST my interior. I sit on the edge of my seat and fingertip hold the steering wheel 1/2 way to work until the AC catches up.

This guy did it with 50% on the windshield and 30% everywhere else but I was thinking more like 70% Visible Light Transfer on the windshield and 50% on the front two windows to match the rest of the vehicle.

fastoldfart
fastoldfart New Reader
7/12/12 9:25 a.m.

Don't cheap out unless it is beater that you would send out for a $350 paint job. Spend the extra for a name brand, metalized tint and a quality installer. The bargain brand tints scratch easily, turn purple and suffer from premature adhesive failure. I was in the tint business for 20+ years and the jobs we used premium material on would look good for as long as most people owned the car. The low end, loss leader materials were a different story.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/12/12 9:36 a.m.

To each his own... I have no use for tint. Don't usually care about the looks one way or the other, and don't like any reduction in visibility when daylight starts to fade.

OTOH, it's only in the 80s-90s for a few weeks a year here and some years doesn't crack 100. I might feel differently if I lived someplace hotter.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/12/12 9:39 a.m.

idunno, but my CRX came with it plastered over the rear window and defroster. I'd sure like to know of a slick way of removing it without killing the defroster.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/12/12 9:41 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: idunno, but my CRX came with it plastered over the rear window and defroster. I'd sure like to know of a slick way of removing it without killing the defroster.

THIS.

Maybe that's why I have such a negative association with tint. I don't want it myself, and it is a Giant Berkeleying Pain to remove.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/12/12 9:43 a.m.

I love it. PO of my car had it done professionally. It has held up well, it hasn't degraded any more in the 4 years since I bought it.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/12/12 10:22 a.m.

The PO of our Corvette had the side windows tinted with the darkest legal tint available out here. I loathe driving the car at night as you hardly have any side visibility. If that thing ever comes back from the shop that is doing its intake gasket replacement (they're waiting for a replacement intake manifold as that one was nicely corroded), I'll have the tint removed and get it replaced with the one that is CA-legal for the front door windows. That one is almost clear but still keeps the UV out.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/12/12 10:24 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: idunno, but my CRX came with it plastered over the rear window and defroster. I'd sure like to know of a slick way of removing it without killing the defroster.

IIRC our local tint place has a machine to "sweat off" the tint from rear windows and according to them, most of the time there is no damage to the defroster (but they won't guarantee it).

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
7/12/12 10:45 a.m.

I've only had it on one car (91 Z32). It was ~35%. Too dark IMO. Rear visibility at night w/ reverse lights suuuuucked.

I have considered doing it to my Saturn DD (no point in doing it to the S2000). Reducing the heat would be nice, but I wouldn't go below 50% for sure. Maybe 70%. I would consider upgrading the reverse lights to compensate (higher wattage bulbs?)

How much could one expect to pay for a small 4 door sedan for quality tint?

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
7/12/12 11:08 a.m.

Tint is a must in Florida

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
7/12/12 11:20 a.m.

I like running the medium tint all around. Not too dark, but keeps down the UV and heat. I had the double limo tint removed from my IS because backing up at night blindly is scary.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TLJms5RKHAWH5zOwgeSUfZ47sigMlULU2yzhkqUB8taiEAT5CAAExjD8FuEmzsix