1 2
Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
2/6/24 7:17 a.m.

Great songs, way too young, did a lot of entertaining for the troops. 

Dang

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/6/24 7:19 a.m.

Sad.

berkeley cancer.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/24 7:26 a.m.

Now who's going to sell me an $80 ticket to a 2 hour long Ford truck commercial?

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
2/6/24 7:42 a.m.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
2/6/24 7:56 a.m.

This was a wild one to wake up to today.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/24 9:02 a.m.

I always thought that if I was a record producer, I'd get Toby Keith to sing You Shook Me All Night Long, and it would be the biggest selling country song of all time. sad

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/6/24 9:09 a.m.

I never liked the guys music. It just smacked of low effort say buzz words till someone throws money at you type of stuff. 

buuut. He was a lot more complicated than that and his inability to quit when faced with continued setbacks and his support of the troops. Good dude. Need more like him.  

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
2/6/24 9:20 a.m.

Dang, I liked a lot of his songs. Not so much on the later stuff, but his early music was prime high school listening among my friend group.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
2/6/24 9:23 a.m.

Never really been a fan of that era of country music but I liked a few of his songs.

That sucks.

Once again, cancer can kiss the fattest part of my ass.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
2/6/24 10:02 a.m.

So when I told my wife Carl Weathers died, she was like "okay".  When I told her Toby Keith died, she had a much more animated reaction.  

Not a big country music fan, but I would always enjoy his songs when they played.  Taliban Song and Ballad of Balad always got at least 1 play while cooking for Memorial Day.  

His support for the troops and USO was fantastic.  

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/6/24 10:54 a.m.

How do you like me now kind of spoke to me.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
2/6/24 10:58 a.m.

Not the greatest musician, but a stand up guy. But...

He's not as good as he once was.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
2/6/24 11:01 a.m.

Mom starts this morning with a group text to my sisters and I. "Toby's gone" is all it says.
My half asleep brain says two things to me "I think that was your cousin's dog" and at the same time goes "isn't his name actually Kunta Kinte?"

Once I woke up I realized what was going on.  Got out of country music a while back, but he was always a favorite.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/6/24 11:51 a.m.

He's been on Pandora a lot the last couple of weeks for me. Always a solid boot Tapper when it's playing. And a good dude for our troops. I hate to hear this.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UberDork
2/6/24 11:54 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Mom starts this morning with a group text to my sisters and I. "Toby's gone" is all it says.
My half asleep brain says two things to me "I think that was your cousin's dog" and at the same time goes "isn't his name actually Kunta Kinte?"

Once I woke up I realized what was going on.  Got out of country music a while back, but he was always a favorite.

LMAO

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/24 11:59 a.m.

His "Bus Songs" were great. Which reminds me, I miss the Bob and Tom morning radio show. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/24 12:02 p.m.
clutchsmoke said:
Mr_Asa said:

LMAO

those of us old enough to get that reference are probably not worried about laughing at that reference.

i LOL'd.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/24 12:30 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Sorry, I'll be good

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/6/24 4:27 p.m.

I remember one of his interviews, talked about singing "brought to you courtesy of the Red, White & Blue."  Looking in the front row was a huge guy in worn overalls, a beard to his belt and tears running down his cheeks.

"I couldn't look at him ......"

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/6/24 6:23 p.m.
jmabarone said:

So when I told my wife Carl Weathers died, she was like "okay".  When I told her Toby Keith died, she had a much more animated reaction.  

I have to be honest, I had to look both of them up

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
2/7/24 12:11 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Carl Weathers was Lando in Star Trek.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/7/24 7:59 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

I don't think I've ever seen an episode of Star Trek

He played for the BC Lions and did ads for the Bay, which is what I was seeing on FB, and prompted me to look him up.

Kylini
Kylini Dork
2/7/24 8:54 a.m.

RIP Keith Tanner

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
2/7/24 7:12 p.m.
Kylini said:

RIP Keith Tanner

Who?

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
2/7/24 8:22 p.m.

"I should've been a cowboy" and ""my list" are on the top 50 of my all time favorites. 

RIP Toby. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6GV3foC1EzteTFQF67GSz3ZWfNFVjU4Bn2tFszOdgTbXGb5tdj7e7DBTh3ekrQx2