1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 ... 225
Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/24 9:23 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to glueguy (Forum Supporter) :

Well, Buick only still exists because the name carries cachet in China, and it would be foolish to ignore a large and developing market.

What would be interesting would be to see how much of that vehicle is new tech and how much is two or three generations old.  One of the pitfalls of selling in China is that you have to surrender all IP rights, so if you are going to want to sell in that market it makes sense to have China specific models, using old tech that you don't care if it gets appropriated.  And if you are going to do that, may as well just make them there and export the profits.

What would be really interesting would be if the Chinese stopped buying it because they weren't made in America.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/1/24 8:04 a.m.

Removed by OP as Controversal.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/1/24 8:38 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

But, he asks innocently, did they vote against prosecuting them and putting them in jail?

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/1/24 8:44 a.m.
914Driver said:

UPDATE: 155 HOUSE DEMOCRATS — 75% OF THEIR CONFERENCE — JUST VOTED AGAINST DEPORTING CRIMINAL MIGRANTS WHO COMMIT SOCIAL SECURITY FRAUD AND ROB OUR SENIORS.

Yes I am sure that it was a very clear cut bill with 2 sentences and it said exactly what you state. Would the gentleman from NY please state if he would like to support social security fraud and pillage seniors? Aye.

It is headlines like this from Fox News and CNN that make it so difficult to have an actual policy discussion which could help improve the day to day of all people in this country.

What I came here for was to say TIL that I learned a whole new side to a salesman I have been working with for years. We stumbled on to an F1 chat and that went into general car chatting and then he send me pics of his cars. Wow, dude has some excellent taste!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/1/24 9:33 a.m.

Maybe the gentleman from New York should not say anything that could be controversial.  

And I like your Roadster.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
2/1/24 10:11 a.m.

it was yesterday, but:

My mom gave me a box of coins she inherited from her aunt.  "I'm sure they are crap, I don't want to deal with it.  You can do what you want with them."  First win (that I am absolutely keeping) is some steel 1943 pennies.  Next find was a page of Morgan silver dollars...then another...then another.  This project is going to take some time, but I think it will be worth it.  

Anyways, I learned that there were Mercury dimes.  

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/1/24 10:15 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Not trying to be controversial, I am cool with you, you always contribute greatly to this community. I wish those were my cars, I am lucky that I have lots of friends with cool toys and we can all enjoy common interests together. 

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/8/24 6:46 p.m.

That I'm in CDL class with THE turn 2 NASCAR  wrecker driver. An opening on the transporter that is used to haul the wreckers from track to track came up, hence  the CDL. He was telling me today that they always get him to flip the cars back on their wheels if they're upside down as he has the most experience gently righting  cars with the driver still strapped in. He has some great stories. Edit: I'm thinking if they're upside down, another bang or two wont much matter. cheeky

NickD
NickD MegaDork
2/10/24 12:32 p.m.

TIL that in between Mike Finnegan leaving Hot Rod Garage and Tony Angelo being hired, there was actually another co-host who the public never saw. Apparently he overstated his qualifications and knowledge and basically got fired by David Freiburger while they were filming at a swap meet and this mystery person couldn't tell the difference between a small block Ford and a small block Chevy

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/24 1:05 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Reminds me of stories of guys with Z/28s who would order parts and then bitch heavily that they were sent the wrong things because they didn't fit.

Because the Z/28 had a 302 so therefore it had a Ford engine, so they'd order Ford parts.  Even though a Ford and a Chevy small block look wildly different.

Makes me respect that Ford would deliberately give different names for the same displacement engine.  A 351W, a 351C, a 351M, and a 352 all had 4x3.5 bore and stroke.  They went to the trouble of calling truck 360s and 390s 361s and 391s to differentiate, even though they were the same engine family, bore, and stroke, because the truck engines were built far different internally.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/11/24 8:54 a.m.

The birthplace of Abner Doubleday is now a pub.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/11/24 8:58 a.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

I had one after I sold my first 914, then an X-1/9 but went back to a 914.  No other "sports car" offers the interior room of a 914.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/13/24 10:25 a.m.

TIL of the Audi Class Action Lawsuit.   YMMV depending on year and mileage, but Ian rebuilt the engine on his and will get 25% of his investment back.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
2/16/24 5:02 p.m.

TIL that my XBox Series X should play disc-based games from any generation of XBox.  Going to have to break out my copy of Burnout 2 this weekend and spend way too much time in Crash Mode.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/16/24 5:25 p.m.

TIL that this is a thing

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
2/16/24 7:08 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

TIL that my XBox Series X should play disc-based games from any generation of XBox.  Going to have to break out my copy of Burnout 2 this weekend and spend way too much time in Crash Mode.

TIL that it's not all old games that are compatible.  Les than 100 original XBox games are, and none of the burnouts are on that list.  Guess I need to see if my old XBox still works.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/24 7:10 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

The digital version works. Not sure if it's been delisted or not though. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
2/16/24 7:27 p.m.
RevRico said:

The digital version works. Not sure if it's been delisted or not though. 

Do the digital ones require a subscription?  I'm kind of at my limit of paying for monthly services.

Edit:  looks like Burnout:Revenge (not bad) and Burnout:Paradise (bleh) are available.  Maybe I'll see if I can pick up a disc copy of Revenge used, but I'm really hoping the old system is still working, I really liked the more stripped down original Crash Mode.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/24 7:37 p.m.

Ahh, E36 M3, that might be mistake. We got a handful of burn out games before games with gold went away, I must have mixed them up.

I thought I remembered paradise being awesome, then I played it again, and blah is definitely right.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/18/24 7:38 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/24 8:49 p.m.

TIL that Ford Mustangs raced in DTM.

Was watching a video about the 190Es that raced in DTM and.... wait a minute... is that a Mustang in the field???

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/19/24 11:13 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

That link is to a man bowing to a cabover.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/20/24 8:13 a.m.

Sorry Appleseed, this is it.  My edit button is taking a rest.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/20/24 8:32 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

And that one is behind a pay wall

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/20/24 11:00 a.m.

I don't understand, looks OK to me.

Don't explain, I'll just go sit in a corner and study some.

1 ... 206 207 208 209 210 ... 225

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6DAZfLGV27fNyZncXoFgrtv9wfgYcoUSBrDtJgG9ucflm2v7tEKefZH6wkiOrb1i