1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 ... 225
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/6/24 7:45 a.m.

Yesterday i learned that you cannot register your political party as "anarchist".

The people at the polls were as disappointed as me.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/24 8:30 a.m.

TIL that there is no longer a cheap solution for daily driver / appliance wheels anymore.  Even something as common as 16 inch steelies for a Honda Accord are almost  $100 each now. 

I am old.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/6/24 4:24 p.m.

TIL that 1.7 Civic valves will survive with the timing belt 4 teeth advanced.

His description:  I was driving, and it quit, but restarted.  It would only go about 30kph.

This dude needed to buy a lottery ticket.

230,000 km, 20 years.  Thats pretty good...

bruceman
bruceman Reader
3/6/24 5:38 p.m.

TIL todays and tomorrows cars are not in my wheel house. 

bruceman
bruceman Reader
3/6/24 5:45 p.m.

Just because you like cars doesn't mean you should work for a car company

wae
wae PowerDork
3/7/24 9:58 p.m.

TIL:  The tires on my challenge car are so old they are stamped "Made in W Germany"

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
3/8/24 11:11 a.m.

TIL Rivian is planning for a 3-motor hot hatch called the "R3X" to come out in 2026 and damn that looks good.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
3/8/24 11:20 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

The proportions do look good. If it was the size of a 90s golf, hot damn. Unfortunately I think we're looking at 20" wheels which puts the entire thing solidly into "bloated pig" territory. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/24 10:36 p.m.

TIL the British expression "Marmite" means Love it, or hate it. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/14/24 9:36 a.m.

TIL that North Face considers access to the outdoors as white privilege

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/24 4:48 p.m.

TIL that a basic driver's license (cars and small lorries up to 3.5 metric tons) can cost up to E4500 in Germany these days. That's close to $5k ...

Driver's license training in Germany has always been rather expensive - I think when I took my lessons in the late 80s it cost me something between 1700-2000 DM (which IIRC was something like $800-1000), and that was for cars and small lorries up to 7.5 metric tons. I couldn't afford a motorcycle license back then as it would've added at least another 1000 DM. Given the original DM -> E conversion of roughly 2:1, that means that the cost has roughly quadrupled. Might still be in line with inflation, but I doubt that a paper round would pay for a driver's license these days like it did for me.

In contrast, getting my motorcycle endorsement in the UK back in 1998 cost me something like GBP200 all in, and that was with some extra instruction that wasn't technically necessary but very welcome as the instructor was a then active motor officer.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/24 4:49 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

TIL the British expression "Marmite" means Love it, or hate it.

... which is a pretty good description of people's reaction to Marmite The Food.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/15/24 5:24 p.m.

TIL that modern cars can have (heck, they may all have) both a maf and map sensor. I swear that back in the day either one or the other was just how it was and they did similar jobs and just went about it different ways. Maybe I was just ignorant about it back then too (1996 onward.) So when I learned that replacing the maf sensor in my wifes Subaru didn't fix the PO172 code and I went down all the other avenues to fix it and it kept coming back for a year, I was getting ready to take it to a shop. Then I decided to look up when the MAP sensor was on the thing. Guess what? it was the easiest sensor to get to, located right on top of the intake manifold held in by one bolt. I sprayed it clean with MAF sensor cleaner (oh the pain!) and permanently got rid if the PO172 code I had been chasing. What a journey!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/24 7:33 p.m.

In reply to gunner (Forum Supporter) :

Only cheap cars don't have both.

What I find funny is that Chrysler sometimes does use a MAF... on the air pump hose, to detect if the pump is working or not.  

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/14/24 4:23 p.m.

Today I learned F1 cars use pneumatic valve springs! Mind blown. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/15/24 8:00 a.m.

Leon Redbone's real name was Dickran Gobalian.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/15/24 8:08 a.m.

I also learned of the Stroh Violin.  It's a violin that's mechanically amplified.  

wae
wae UltimaDork
4/15/24 3:06 p.m.

TIL my wife doesn't like the fact that I labeled the envelope for birth certificates "People Titles" to go next to the one labeled "Car Titles".

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/15/24 3:16 p.m.

TWIL (This Weekend I Learned) that the manual transmission for an MR2 Spyder doesn't use a pilot bearing. TWIAL (This Weekend I Also Learned) that RockAuto will still sell you a pilot bearing for a 2002 MR2 Spyder.

barefootcyborg5000
4/15/24 3:19 p.m.
914Driver said:

I also learned of the Stroh Violin.  It's a violin that's mechanically amplified.  

Bluegrass meets ska? Big band w/ strings? 

Im sour on violins. Something about that dancing girl on YouTube that was on repeat for about three years when my boy was younger. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/15/24 3:28 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Sorry Lindsey Stirling ruined violins for you. Seeing her live is an experience for me.

barefootcyborg5000
4/15/24 3:51 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

That's the one. Yeah it's all good, just not my thing at all. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/24 7:26 p.m.
wae said:

TIL my wife doesn't like the fact that I labeled the envelope for birth certificates "People Titles" to go next to the one labeled "Car Titles".

TIL that you play dad jokes the long game.

Its not like they were born in the past couple weeks or anything.

wae
wae UltimaDork
4/15/24 10:34 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

It took m*o*n*t*h*s for my wife to finally find the package of pork chops that I put in the freezer labeled "Babe: Pig in the Freezer".  She was similarly unamused.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/24 8:40 p.m.

A few years ago we got a new Canon copier/printer for our office. IT gave it the same name as another machine in the building.  Anything we printed came out of that other machine. I spent an afternoon on the phone trying to fix it and they told me to choose a new name. I called it Nick, because it was a canon and constantly reproduced. About six months in my then boss called me on a Saturday night when it hit him why I picked the name.  He didn't find it amusing. 

1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 ... 225

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N1U6o7o8l4S1WanPZ0qyOekVzFg4Iv4TUsrirTDsQPfQF91s60DJsyGdpCIicdEx