1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 225
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/31/16 7:53 a.m.

TIL that the Accord is still losing oil somewhere. Idiot lights are helpful.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
8/31/16 7:56 a.m.
Wall-e wrote: In reply to Woody: Must be. What other country is big but uses little bity kilometers.

Well, actually, almost every single one of them except you....

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/31/16 8:15 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
Wall-e wrote: In reply to Woody: Must be. What other country is big but uses little bity kilometers.
Well, actually, almost every single one of them except you....

The second they start using Newtons and Kilograms properly, I'll be a lot more excited about the metric system.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/31/16 9:23 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Ok that's adorable.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/16 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

But most of those countries aren't even 700 kilograms wide.

spin_out
spin_out Reader
8/31/16 9:57 a.m.

TIL That Wall-e is hilarious. I had assumed he was just humorous.

Wall-e wrote: In reply to Streetwiseguy: But most of those countries aren't even 700 kilograms wide.
Wall-e
8/31/16 7:07 p.m.

In reply to spin_out:

I've had this conversation with European tourists probably a dozen times. They are here in the states for a long holiday and ask about things to do if they rent a car. Eventually they decide driving to California and back would be a good way to spend the last few days of their visit and seem stunned to hear how wide the US is. Now we can Google it and translate it from miles to kms but years ago they assumed I was mistaken when I said it was about 2800 miles or 4,500,000 meters.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/31/16 7:26 p.m.

I learned about spiral wound gaskets and their one time usage.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
8/31/16 8:04 p.m.
Wall-e wrote: In reply to spin_out: I've had this conversation with European tourists probably a dozen times. They are here in the states for a long holiday and ask about things to do if they rent a car. Eventually they decide driving to California and back would be a good way to spend the last few days of their visit and seem stunned to hear how wide the US is. Now we can Google it and translate it from miles to kms but years ago they assumed I was mistaken when I said it was about 2800 miles or 4,500,000 meters.

Its why Europeans always laughed at full size Domestic cars, and the opposite to why we laughed at a Fiat 128.

Wall-e
9/1/16 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

A full size car for a full size country.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
9/1/16 11:47 a.m.

Ha! We're meeting some British friends in Utah this month. They are flying into Denver. They originally wanted to see Colorado, Utah and the Grand Canyon in 10 days but "didn't want to do a lot of driving." We convinced them to scale it back to Colorado and eastern Utah.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
9/1/16 12:42 p.m.

I like to mention the fact that (per wikipedia) Texas is 269,000 square miles while France is 249,000 square miles. And then look at a map and try visualize Europe on the US map with France where Texas is located to give a bit of scale of things.

GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
9/1/16 1:43 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

brake cleaner (or WD40) + lighter. Clearly you need to escalate this.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/1/16 1:48 p.m.

that the stereotype that attorneys will say anything to try to get you to berkeley yourself is absolutely true

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/1/16 1:52 p.m.
RossD wrote: I like to mention the fact that (per wikipedia) Texas is 269,000 square miles while France is 249,000 square miles. And then look at a map and try visualize Europe on the US map with France where Texas is located to give a bit of scale of things.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/OH1bZ0F3zVU A funny based on the truth.

and if you want to compare everything on earth try TrueSize

NickD
NickD Dork
9/2/16 10:53 a.m.

Today I learned I just have to make 160 crank horsepower on my Miata to match power/weight ratio of a pre-2008 WRX (That's a fairly good performance bogey). That should be achievable with the BP-4W engine I have in my garage with a header, BP-5A cam and overbore, right?

Wall-e
9/2/16 12:06 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

I prefer a globe but they are not very convenient to travel with

Wall-e
9/2/16 12:12 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

Any time you need to testify before a lawyer remember to think, pause, then talk. I had an attorney explain it to me years ago and every appearance I've made has gone well. It keeps you from blurting out something you shouldn't and it gives your attorney a chance to stop any inappropriate questions. It took work but I've gotten to a point that I almost enjoy going to court.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/2/16 1:07 p.m.

In reply to Wall-e:

This is worse, it is patent interview. I had a guy argue that an application for a state award was hearsay after they sent in an affidavit that claimed ownership of the application and was signed by the previous CEO and that it was all exaggerations by the marketing department and nothing had happened when they wrote it, yet it described the device perfectly.

First thing we do is kill all the lawyers.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/16 3:01 p.m.

TIL: Telling a client what they probably did not want to here (even though it is the truth) can sometimes be the best thing. They gave me another project 2x the size of the last one. The reason? They said we were the first firm that was honest with them about things.

Now I am wondering who the other firms were.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
9/3/16 9:09 p.m.

TIL: when building a new workbench, it would be really nice to have a workbench to build it on

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
9/3/16 10:00 p.m.

That you can buy a perfectly functioning DVD/VCR combo unit with remote and a dozen Classic movies to entertain the kids at a yard sale for $7. I also learned that my 11 year old gets a kick out of antique technology.

olderbytheminute

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
9/5/16 2:28 p.m.

A 2006 Toyota Sienna will do an uphill peel on asphalt from a standstill for at least ten seconds whether you want it to or not.

Wall-e
9/6/16 11:39 a.m.

Two women often show up at my post in the morning to catch the bus. They are loud and usually laughing about something.

This morning I learned:

1: One of them regularly partakes in threesomes with people she meets online.

2: She keeps photos and videos of some of these encounters on her phone.

3: She's not shy about showing them.

4: I could come up with no comment when she shared this information this morning.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/6/16 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Wall-e:

was her name...Amy?

did you get her contact info?

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 225

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1LlZjXzOAk0NCuRU4OBS9KBNTbq8KnxMmtN9Kft3QymQcT4XpONq2T4HtkSFJkcv