1 2
PHeller
PHeller Reader
2/17/09 12:45 p.m.

Anyone know what season/episode this latest one was from?

I don't get BBC.

mtn
mtn Dork
2/17/09 12:57 p.m.

Season 12, Episode 2.
Hessmo.com is your friend.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
2/17/09 1:48 p.m.
mtn wrote: Season 12, Episode 2. Hessmo.com is your friend.

ITS NOT BLOCKED AT WORK!!!!!

I love you. No really, I love you.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
2/17/09 9:43 p.m.

Watching the episode right now this is great. Its amazing to see the guys amazed with some American cars. Oh and Captain Slow actually overtaking someone

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/09 10:32 p.m.
maroon92 wrote:
Gamby said: (no I don't bother w/ torrents--that show deserves a big screen)
I have a 15" TV, and a 29" Computer monitor...I only watch TV online....

Jeez, I thought this was GRM and our members were a bit more with it ;)

If you have a big screen, just connect the DVI or S-Video output from your computer to the big screen, works great. I'm watching the Tokyo episode right now on my 53" big screen (bought it from Craigslist, when the CRT's failed, I replaced them with a InFocus projector mounted in the old cabinet).

I've also replaced all the CRT TV's in the house with Small Form Factor HP computers and 19" LCD monitors running Media Portal. So now they are streaming TV, Movies, Pictures, Music across the wireless network I can also record TV and play it back on any system in the house. It really isn't that hard and it works better than the cable boxes you have to rent from the cable companies.

That reminds me that I need to Torrent the newer episodes since I have all of them up to the Third episode of Season 12.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/17/09 10:58 p.m.

Simply Awesome. Maybe my favorite episode ever.

Opus
Opus HalfDork
2/18/09 1:03 p.m.
Keith wrote: You guys who are big screen snobs are missing out. First, you're watching an edited version of the show on BBC America. A big shiny version, but you're getting less Top Gear. Secondly, who says you can't watch a torrent version on a big screen? I do. A good capture is worlds ahead of YouTube, if that's what you are expecting.

Please tell me more, I am slowly learning on how to play other files on my TV, but please direct me to the full downloads for my wifes torture.

Thanks

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 HalfDork
2/18/09 1:07 p.m.
Mental wrote:
mtn wrote: Season 12, Episode 2. Hessmo.com is your friend.
ITS NOT BLOCKED AT WORK!!!!! I love you. No really, I love you.

Bite your tongue! It is TOO blocked!!

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/09 1:29 p.m.

Opus:

Download uTorrent. Install.

Go to Final Gear. Find a show you want to see (hint, here are the Top Gear shows by season) and click on the link for the torrent file. It'll look like this (this is the link for the Vietnam special):

Click here to download the torrent from Mininova »

For automagic downloads of new episodes, hot off the internets, follow the destructions.

Torrents are a peer-to-peer distribution tool, so the more peers you have the faster it works. In other words, a new, popular file will have more people sharing it so it'll download faster. Seems backwards :) A new episode will usually download in an hour or two, and all torrents start off slow and then accelerate over the next few minutes. If you have to shut down your computer, no worries. uTorrent will take up where it left off until the whole file is downloaded, then it will continue to "seed" other users so they can download it.

You may need DivX to play the files, but that's okay because it's free and works really nicely.

Pretty clever stuff, really. But the short form is, install the software then click on a torrent link and be patient.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/09 1:47 p.m.
Opus wrote:
Keith wrote: You guys who are big screen snobs are missing out. First, you're watching an edited version of the show on BBC America. A big shiny version, but you're getting less Top Gear. Secondly, who says you can't watch a torrent version on a big screen? I do. A good capture is worlds ahead of YouTube, if that's what you are expecting.
Please tell me more, I am slowly learning on how to play other files on my TV, but please direct me to the full downloads for my wifes torture. Thanks

You'll need a Torrent client, BitTorent or uTorrent. Search, download and install. Then get over to http://www.finalgear.com and follow their links to the torrent files. It can take sometime for the files to download depending on how many people have made the files available for download.

Once you've gotten the files, make sure they'll play on your computer. You'll probably need a better media player. I use VideoLan (VLC) as it will play nearly any type of media and it is free and quite a bit less annoying than Quicktime or Media Player.

Once the files play okay, refer to your video card or PC manufacturer to determine the best way to connect it to your TV. Depending on the card and TV, there are basically four ways to connect the PC to the TV. I'll try to go in order of best quality to worst.

1) DVI/HDMI. This will give you the best video quality but requires HD capable screen and possibly an adapter cable.

2) Standard VGA, this requires a VGA input on the TV. Rather rare on older TV's, but semi-common on newer LCD's and Plasma.

3) S-video, pretty standard on a number of cards. Not the best quality, but the most compatible.

4) Component, requires adapter cables and can pick up ambient noise causing picture issues.

For Audio, if your video card supports HDMI Audio and Video out then you're golden. Otherwise you'll need to get an adapter cable for the audio out (1/8" stereo jack to RCA right/left) or if you have digital audio/SPDIF out.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
2/18/09 2:23 p.m.

there are also VGA to component cables out there, so you could run from your video card straight to a component input as well

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/09 2:46 p.m.

Just throwing out there that torrents are still technically illegal.

I'll stick with Hessmo and BBC America.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/09 3:17 p.m.

Torrents aren't illegal any more than DVDs are. They're just a way to transfer information. It's what you transfer that matters, and the BBC does not seem to have a problem with redistribution of Top Gear. They're quite aware of FinalGear.com. Hessmo is not an official distribution channel either.

bamalama
bamalama Reader
2/18/09 9:10 p.m.
maroon92 wrote:

I've only got a 17" monitor, but a 65" TV. So I like to sit on the couch.

fastasleep
fastasleep New Reader
2/18/09 9:17 p.m.
bamalama wrote:
maroon92 wrote:

Good. I am coming to your house. Got beer?

-Les

donalson
donalson SuperDork
2/18/09 11:34 p.m.

that was a great episode... but like keith said... they cut it for bbcAmerica...

TV out feature on a laptop is great for watching stuff on a big screen :)

can't wait till the next season comes out...

Opus
Opus HalfDork
2/18/09 11:40 p.m.
fiat22turbo wrote:
Opus wrote:
Please tell me more, I am slowly learning on how to play other files on my TV, but please direct me to the full downloads for my wifes torture. Thanks
You'll need a Torrent client, BitTorent or uTorrent. Search, download and install. Then get over to http://www.finalgear.com and follow their links to the torrent files. It can take sometime for the files to download depending on how many people have made the files available for download. Once you've gotten the files, make sure they'll play on your computer. You'll probably need a better media player. I use VideoLan (VLC) as it will play nearly any type of media and it is free and quite a bit less annoying than Quicktime or Media Player. Once the files play okay, refer to your video card or PC manufacturer to determine the best way to connect it to your TV. Depending on the card and TV, there are basically four ways to connect the PC to the TV. I'll try to go in order of best quality to worst. 1) DVI/HDMI. This will give you the best video quality but requires HD capable screen and possibly an adapter cable. 2) Standard VGA, this requires a VGA input on the TV. Rather rare on older TV's, but semi-common on newer LCD's and Plasma. 3) S-video, pretty standard on a number of cards. Not the best quality, but the most compatible. 4) Component, requires adapter cables and can pick up ambient noise causing picture issues. For Audio, if your video card supports HDMI Audio and Video out then you're golden. Otherwise you'll need to get an adapter cable for the audio out (1/8" stereo jack to RCA right/left) or if you have digital audio/SPDIF out.

Thanks, for playback, I will try to use my PS3 connected to my 1TB portable drive. I transferred some of my music collection and some of my videos. I just need to see if it can play the file back. I will play with this after I get back from the race on Sunday

bamalama
bamalama Reader
2/19/09 5:28 a.m.
fastasleep wrote:
bamalama wrote:
maroon92 wrote:
Good. I am coming to your house. Got beer? -Les

Not by the time you get here.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B4XX9CSDMmY7xCAfMeYDzhiKE5M0y91mgHR1pc2a1fpDOy2ZRqmzvuOQxVFnUPRK