1 2
mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/7/10 10:39 a.m.

Hope this isn't a repost

http://jalopnik.com/5606884/top-gear-usa-the-first-trailer

Can't tell much, but it looks like they are at least not trying to exactly copy the real one. Eh, I'll watch it. But with low expectations.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/7/10 10:51 a.m.

Ahh, I'll watch it. But being a car guy we lower our standards pretty low just to get a fix.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
8/7/10 10:53 a.m.

get rid of Ruttledge, and it might have a chance.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
8/7/10 10:57 a.m.

Adam Ferrera is funny as hell on Rescue Me, but I couldn't figure out if he's on the show or not?

I'll watch.

Wowak
Wowak SuperDork
8/7/10 11:48 a.m.

You know what would have made this show epic? J.G.

Just saying. That guy with the beard almost looks like a bad J.G. stunt double, but he sure ain't funny like J.G.

jlm_photo
jlm_photo Reader
8/7/10 11:59 a.m.

I may get hated on but I actually think it has some promise. I mean, it's better than TG Austrailia (of course most anything is). I was just fearful of a direct copy.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/10 12:38 p.m.

I'll probably watch, but that is more of a judgment against the rest of what is on TV rather than an endorsement of this show.

Tanner Foust is about the most unexciting TV host in history. Everything seems fake with him.

I still think they should have got like Mike Rowe and Anthony Bourdain, then instead of a 3rd presenter use that as the guest spot.

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
8/7/10 12:55 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL:

I bet Anthony Bourdain would be awesome on that show. But Mike Rowe couldnt be a host... He would just hock Ford products the whole time.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/7/10 1:03 p.m.

Hmm... Stocky guy with a scraggly beard and thick-rimmed glasses making quips about a budget car challenge. Sounds oddly familiar.

Honestly I would have loved to audition (and I tend to audition well), but I had no idea they were even doing official casting until after I heard that some folks I know from other magazines had already auditioned and that they were already in the decision-making process. Long story short, I guess we're just a little too under the radar to warrant an invite.

At any rate, I'll give it a cursory watch. Call me cynical but I really haven't seen an American car show that I really like yet. I think Adam Carolla's podcasts are probably the closest thing to entertaining n the genre that I've seen yet.

Most of the car shows on tv now tend to try to adopt the "reality show" mold. And reality shows hit their peak with season 2 of Big Brother. After that it was all ridiculous manufactured drama which just comes off as ridiculous. Drama need to either be real, or portrayed by people with enough talent to get the message across. Having amateurs attempt to act looks exactly like it sounds. I think that's why Dirty Jobs is so entertaining. Show someone doing their job, and the many intricate parts that make up what we take for granted and that's compelling. You don't need to create false conflict. The conflict is getting the job done, not some false personality conflict between two guys I don't care about.

jg

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
8/7/10 3:35 p.m.

Maybe I'm not cultured enough, but I don't recognize any of those presenters. I'd say that's actually a good thing.

They also aren't "pretty". That's also a good thing. Makes me think they're actually trying to go for some sort of integrity, rather than just pandering. They still lack the charisma and quirkiness of the original presenters. Their challenge was kind of amusing, and watching the Cadillac bow was funny.

If I had TV (other than Netflix), I'd give it a look. But instead I'll just watch reruns of original Top Gear.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/7/10 8:23 p.m.

I'll probably watch the first episode and discover that like everything else here in the Great Satan that lawyers will have pulled their fangs when it comes to really saying what they think of what they drive. It'll probably be like all of those other boring shows where two guys drive whatever car and extoll its virtues the whole time. But once in a while these guys will get to wreck a crapcan to show how edgy they are.

Yeah, I am a cynic.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
8/7/10 11:31 p.m.

I'll tune in and give it a chance. More than what 99% of Jalopnik readers would do, I'm sure.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
8/7/10 11:35 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Most of the car shows on tv now tend to try to adopt the "reality show" mold. And reality shows hit their peak with season 2 of Big Brother. After that it was all ridiculous manufactured drama which just comes off as ridiculous. Drama need to either be real, or portrayed by people with enough talent to get the message across. Having amateurs attempt to act looks exactly like it sounds. I think that's why Dirty Jobs is so entertaining. Show someone doing their job, and the many intricate parts that make up what we take for granted and that's compelling. You don't need to create false conflict. The conflict is getting the job done, not some false personality conflict between two guys I don't care about. jg

"reality tv" hit it's peak when Puck was on the Real World back in like '93 or '94.. everything since then has been a pale imitation.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/7/10 11:38 p.m.

I think that reality never had a peak, just a lesser low.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
8/8/10 9:11 a.m.

I'll watch the first couple of episodes.

It actually may have a chance because they look like they were having fun. I think that's one of the appeals of Top Gear is that the three of them have fun with darn near anything they do. Almost like a bunch of friends filming themselves, just with better equipment.

-Rob

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
8/8/10 9:52 a.m.

I'll probably watch it, but that Rutledge guy has to go. Hopefully after one season they'll recast and get some real people. It's disappointing that Adam Carolla got hung up on another show and couldn't come back to do this.

It's never going to compare or be the quality of the original. That's for sure.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
8/8/10 11:46 a.m.

I'll watch it...hopefully I will like it.

Foust isn't too bad, but he can be pretty fake sometimes.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/8/10 12:54 p.m.

Meh--it can't be any worse than anything else on Spike or Speed.

I know I'll end up watching every episode out of morbid curiosity. For all I know, I'll enjoy it.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole HalfDork
8/8/10 8:22 p.m.

Let's lose Tanner Faust, I'm sick of seeing him just drift everything.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
8/8/10 8:28 p.m.

That was painfully awkward and not funny.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/8/10 10:33 p.m.
MA$$hole wrote: Let's lose Tanner Faust, I'm sick of seeing him just drift everything.

...keeping in mind that Jeremy drifts just about everything he gets his hands on...

Brian
Brian MegaDork
8/8/10 10:49 p.m.

It's on history, I'll give it a chance

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
8/8/10 11:38 p.m.

Eh, the UScentric stuff might be funny (like the Caddy on the MX course)...but I'm just hoping that if this comes to fruition (what's this..the third attempt now?) that it won't make it more difficult to find copies of the real one online.

Luke
Luke UberDork
8/9/10 4:24 a.m.
Lesley wrote: That was painfully awkward and not funny.

But not nearly as painfully awkward and unfunny as TG Australia. From that promo, I think it looks promising.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
8/9/10 8:53 a.m.

Simply, they are just trying too hard, relax and do your own thing and it might have a future.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RX0dpsoPxtROV6uN9ZKkhmYPUoRt2Kx8fbqzq4etdEhp2B3Cg9nlHAo0hdpsWbKk