1 2
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/30/23 11:24 a.m.

Mann has an excellent track record. Very excited for this one.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/23 11:39 a.m.

You had me at Penelope Cruz. 

Two thumbs up. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/30/23 11:47 a.m.

I'm sure the drama and the stakes will be turned up to 11, but I'll never say no to a period racing film.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/30/23 12:11 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

I'm sure the drama and the stakes will be turned up to 11, but I'll never say no to a period racing film.

There should be far more of them. I should let Hollywood know. 

8/30/23 12:20 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

It sounds like it's centered around the 1957 Mille Miglia, so there should be enough real-world drama without it being Hollywood-ized.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/30/23 1:12 p.m.

Looks great.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/30/23 1:15 p.m.

Are those real vintage Ferraris?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/30/23 1:15 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
Colin Wood said:

It sounds like it's centered around the 1957 Mille Miglia, so there should be enough real-world drama without it being Hollywood-ized.

That won't stop them from trying.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/30/23 1:29 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Two thumbs up. 

Yes, Please.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/30/23 1:32 p.m.

My dog, Enzo, seems ready for this. He's got the attitude down.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/30/23 4:07 p.m.
Duke said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
Colin Wood said:

That won't stop them from trying.

I don't mean it as a negative thing, it's just the nature of the beast.

Movies are very expensive to make, and studios want to make sure that their investment is a wise one. That often means appealing to the widest audience possible–which usually means added drama.

Sure, they could have made "Le Mans" with just racing scenes, but most audiences–myself included–wouldn't be interested in going to a movie theater to watch over an hour or two of racing footage.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/30/23 5:41 p.m.

Days like this I think I should go buy an old Ferrari - you know, early 1960's vintage.  

Then I realize I sell industrial and hydraulic hose for a living so an Accord is more in my budget.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/30/23 8:53 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm guessing no, unless they had a zillion dollar budget for the film.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
8/30/23 9:24 p.m.

Is JFry in the credits?  Forgive me for not already knowing if he is.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/21/23 8:45 a.m.

This is the only thread I see on the movie, so I'll comment here.

Tom Spangler and I got too see an advance screening last night in a Dolby Atmos theater.

I thought it was great, not perfect, but very good. No enthusiast for any genre, back story, biopic, or historical film should go in expecting a documentary with every fact checked, T crossed and I dotted. At the end of the day movies are a form of entertainment. There are Documentaries for those who like to find fault with casting and story telling. Adam Driver and Penelope Cruz were both excellent. Adam Driver is an actor who grew to fame as a poorly written character in Star Wars. Everything I've seen him in outside Star Wars I think he's a brilliant actor, and I think he did a great job of portraying Enzo. Possibly not a 100% historically accurate version of him, but a very well nuanced character who could switch on and off emotions and affection for different people/situations in his life. Likewise with Cruz, it was great to see her very convincingly in the role of betrayed wife, mother, business partner rather than playing a sex symbol. The cinematography, colors, composition were all a visual delight. While the cars looked and sounded amazing, they did fall into one, predictable, trap. On the Migle Millia they made it look as if you had a gaggle of 5-8 cars locked solidly together swapping places for the whole 1,000 miles. Some of those shots could have been better served by some wide angle distance shots, slowly moving in as the car passes etc. There were also a couple of 99 speed transmissions hiding in there from the number of upshifts. I can forgive all that though as overall the sound and visuals of the race cars were awesome. Not a criticism, but I was surprised at how graphic they were with de Portago's accident. If you, or whoever you see it with, are squeamish, you might get them to avert their eyes for a few seconds. Note. I don't count that as a spoiler as anyone on here who knows the brand and the man knows roughly what's coming in a movie around the year 1957.

Patrick Dempsey was very prominent as Piero Taruffi, but there was also MArino Franchitti , brother of Dario and an IMSA/WEC/LeMans driver in his own right played Eugenio Castellotti, Derek Hill, Son of Phil Hill was Jean Behra, old Stig and racer Ben Collins was Stirling Moss, and I've read that Ef F1 driver, LeMans winner and Ferrari test driver Marc Gene was in there too.

A very good, but not brilliant movie, with excellent visuals and some great performances by good actors without too much CGI.

J.A. Ackley
12/21/23 9:08 a.m.

Love the perspective. I'm looking forward to it hitting theaters everywhere on Christmas day.

For some background on the stunts (and cars), see this on Classic Motorsports: What’s the magic behind the racing scenes in “Ferrari?” | Articles | Classic Motorsports

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/21/23 9:36 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

... and the cars!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/21/23 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Every time I see that commercial (which is the best commercial ever), I always think "okay - this is the best sounding one" but then the next one comes up and I change my opinion! The last 2 are truly spine tingling. 

12/21/23 10:43 a.m.

Adrian and I were able to catch an advance screening last night. I thought it was very good. It looks absolutely gorgeous, the cars are a visual and audio treat, and Adam Driver is excellent as Enzo. The storyline is a bit convoluted, jumping between Enzo's personal life with his wife, mistress, son(s), and the company's precarious financial situation, leading up to the 1957 Mille Miglia. The rest of the actors are mostly good, though some of the accents are a bit questionable. They also play with timelines a bit, but that's understandable in the name of drama. Overall, I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10, but it's a must-see for car people and racing fans.

TAParker
TAParker Reader
12/25/23 10:11 p.m.

Going to see it later this week 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/23 10:46 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm guessing no, unless they had a zillion dollar budget for the film.

I read an article on the making of the movie and they are reproduction/replica Ferraris.

J.A. Ackley
12/25/23 10:51 p.m.

I just came back from watching the film. It's visually as stunning as the Ferraris of the time period. I agree with just about everything Tom_Spangler said. It's a good way for a car guy to spend a couple of hours.

P.S. It's the first movie I've seen in a theater since before the pandemic. Theaters have changed quite a bit. Recliners are a nice touch. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
12/25/23 11:09 p.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

There's a remodeled 90+ year giant screen movie theater in Downers Grove, IL - I'm hoping they show it as I hate those little multi theaters.  (The Tivoli Theater)  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
12/26/23 10:08 a.m.

seeing it this week... are there too many sex scenes with mistress? 

debating if appropriate for kids

thank you 

J.A. Ackley
12/26/23 10:11 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

seeing it this week... are there too many sex scenes with mistress? 

debating if appropriate for kids

thank you 

There are two. One was pretty hot and heavy. None with the mistress oddly enough. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SmaHaxa9x90YveYJDSF0lWs9Xapru9xHXNqyisMCxRTI4IbQ2j4opLtUHJZ0R96F