edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
10/11/24 5:17 p.m.

I'm after some advice from those who may have experience with importing vehicles into the great white north.

I own an enclosed 6x4 trailer purchased when we lived in FL. We are currently living in Western Australia, and have imported the trailer there as it is decked out for camping. We are planning on moving to Ontario Canada within the next year as my wife is from there. I have some questions regarding the importation into Canada.

The trailer has a FMVSS placard, so is eligible for import. It was manufactured in 2007 or thereabouts, so is considered age exempt as it's over 15 years old. I gather the customs people will assess the paperwork and approve the vehicle for import based on compliance to the FMVSS and age-exempt considerations just mentioned.

I am hoping to import the trailer by simply including it in our sea container of stuff that we send from Australia. I wondering if this is a good idea or if it needs to be by roll-on / roll-off vessel (separate to our stuff) - I hope not as this would be an extra expense. Also, what happens once the trailer is released / approved by customs. I gather the vehicle needs to be inspected for Canadian standards compliance so will be unregistered at collection. Can I collect the trailer from the place where it gets removed form the container and simply tow it to my place? Do I need a temporary movement permit for an un-registered vehicle?

When I moved to Australia it was straight forward, as I am from there and knew the procedures, but this is a new one to me. Hopefully someone can share some knowledge.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/12/24 6:04 p.m.

Phone Canada Customs in a city not near the border, because there's a bunch of overpaid people sitting around doing nothing.

My guess would be, since it's already yours, you will need to have a simple federal inspection, which can be done at Canadian Tire, to be sure it's not made out of balsa and cyanide, and has a 17 digit VIN, and off you go.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
10/13/24 1:40 p.m.

Thanks, that's a great idea to call an actual person. I did email the department and got a copy/paste generic answer that just referred me to the website that told me the same thing as the email. My difficulty is how it is handled coming in via sea container and what happens next. I'll give them a call this week. Thanks again.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/13/24 8:04 p.m.

This website is specific to one brand of camping trailer, being imported to Canada from the US, but the steps to take are probably similar.  https://escapod.us/purchase-process/international-imports/importing-rvs-to-canada

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/24 12:02 p.m.

I imported a travel trailer to Canada, but that was in 2004.  I remember calling the border folks and they advised me to just tell the border agent of my intent to import and they'll direct me to the proper place.  I filled out paperwork, paid a small tax/fee, and I was on my way in 30 minutes.  I thought I remembered surrendering my title, but I still have it.  Details are hazy after 20 years.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XfY0acKeZPprG84IWmLCeIyc8EQ4iKFXBWwZPYC6wU7QoHH3d2H0e0juQknmsFVN