friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
2/11/11 10:01 p.m.

I've got a friend who's getting into the community supported agriculture movement. He's halfsies with an old friend of his, and they've bought an older farm-and already have it producing..well, uh..produce. Thing is, he wants to ditch his apartment in town and live on the property while he builds his house out there. He says he's got about $4K to spend on some sort of trailer to live in while he's building the house. He also says a travel trailer would do the trick (I guess they've got an outhouse out there.. ). Anybody in northern Georgia got a good one that you're done with?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
2/11/11 10:28 p.m.

friedgreencorrado
2/11/11 10:37 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote:

Tom, interesting..but we got no real beaches up here in the foothills. I know that thing's not local!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
2/11/11 10:50 p.m.

They litter the free section of Craigslist. Use your favorite search site and bring one home.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
2/11/11 11:35 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: They litter the free section of Craigslist. Use your favorite search site and bring one home.

Wait, what?

/wires the Jeep for trailer lights and throws a hitch on

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
2/11/11 11:39 p.m.

In reply to Derick Freese:

"Litter" might be a slight exaggeration , but I have seen them there.

friedgreencorrado
2/11/11 11:55 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: They litter the free section of Craigslist. Use your favorite search site and bring one home.

Yeah, I've looked. I was just hoping to find one that actually had somebody care for it for half a minute..

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/12/11 7:57 a.m.

I've got an older unit in reasonably good shape that I'd sell for a lot less than that. 23.5' quenn bed sofa in front, bunk beds in rear with bath. Has furnace and AC. It's in South GA, but it tows.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
2/12/11 9:40 a.m.

Da Gov auctions off travel trailers that have been used by disaster people. Like Katrina folks. Check for those auctions, you can find them for cheap money.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/12/11 9:41 a.m.

Yeah, but you might need to hold your breath while inside...

spriteracer
spriteracer New Reader
2/12/11 9:47 a.m.

Almost all campers have formaldehyde in them, from FEMA trailers all the way up to a million dollar motorcoaches. The issue with the FEMA trailers is that the people were living in them full time and being exposed to more formaldehyde than the casual camper or tailgater. There are thousands of FEMA trailers for sale in Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi for much less than your friend wants to spend.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
2/12/11 9:49 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Yeah, but you might need to hold your breath while inside...

IIRC,weren't there reports of formaldehyde in those trailers?

cwh
cwh SuperDork
2/12/11 11:41 a.m.

http://www.governmentauctions.org/labels/FEMA%20Trailers%20for%20Sale.asp

Take a look. From 100.00 and up to ~7000.00.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/12/11 12:25 p.m.
JFX001 wrote:

Yep. Lots of it.

friedgreencorrado
2/12/11 1:31 p.m.
SVreX wrote: I've got an older unit in reasonably good shape that I'd sell for a lot less than that. 23.5' quenn bed sofa in front, bunk beds in rear with bath. Has furnace and AC. It's in South GA, but it tows.

Excellent! I sent him a message over on FB, I'll send you a PM here when he replies. I don't own anything with a hitch, we'll have to see what he can beg/borrow. Thanks, dude!

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/12/11 1:46 p.m.

I may be willing to discuss towing it to north GA for him.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
2/12/11 2:44 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
JFX001 wrote:
Yep. Lots of it.

actually most camping trailers are full of formaldehyde... but you don't stay in them long enough to have a problem.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/12/11 2:48 p.m.

Right, but the FEMA trailers had almost no windows.

They were also brand new, so the off-gassing had not subsided.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
2/13/11 10:41 p.m.

Some brands of FEMA trailers are worse than others. Some not bad at all. I would test any I was looking at. Around here they have been selling for $4000-5000.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
2/13/11 10:46 p.m.

At what point would a FEMA trailer be considered safe? I know how dirt cheap they can be, but I'd have to have more of a tow vehicle than an XJ for one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Oe4gYHTJBol3JOicYQBhaBVR09gsrnCR1lb4S23fB5UZxt3ROKlPSmTOfEaBI0Hx