oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
6/1/12 9:00 a.m.

I had hoped I'd be spared but the tree that dominates my tiny yard has finally decided to breach the water line.

Calling right now to schedule estimate appointments for line replacement and tree removal. I fear a major dent in the finances is in the immediate future.

Not much of a rant, but there's a lot of uncivil discourse running through my head right now.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/1/12 9:43 a.m.

You are exercising amazing restraint. Sorry for the unexpected expenditure. Hopefully the tree removal won't leave your wallet gasping.

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
6/1/12 9:52 a.m.

Or, have the water line moved away from the tree.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
6/1/12 10:06 a.m.

In reply to PHeller:

Well, the tree is really sick so it was going anyway. My hope was that the root system wouldn't compromise the water line. Wrong on that one.

The only possible saving grace is that the line (from the valve) is less than 20' to the slab. Like I said, tiny yard.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
6/1/12 10:08 a.m.

Sorry to hear about that. No one wants to spend money they don't have to. How big is the tree? Sounds like it is fairly good sized to break the water line and with a small yard you probably don't have alot of room to drop a tree.

I'm surprised I haven't had a problem like this yet, with all the trees I have, about 400+ trees on 2.2 acres (You have seen my house Steve). Randy

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
6/1/12 10:22 a.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: Sorry to hear about that. No one wants to spend money they don't have to. How big is the tree? Sounds like it is fairly good sized to break the water line and with a small yard you probably don't have alot of room to drop a tree. I'm surprised I haven't had a problem like this yet, with all the trees I have, about 400+ trees on 2.2 acres (You have seen my house Steve). Randy

Hey, Randy! Long time no see/no hear.

The tree's a silver maple and probably about 15" diameter. The root system is really shallow on these buggers with plenty of runners exposed; pretty certain it's a tangled mess below the surface. It was a poor choice for the developer to plant in such a compact yard; I'd guess at least a couple dozen neighbors have had the same issues. C'est la vie.............

Keep in touch!

spriteracer
spriteracer Reader
6/1/12 10:35 a.m.

Silver maples are second only to sweet gums for having invasive roots. The silver maple really has no redeeming features other than rapid growth which of course means weak wood and a short life. I've had a lot of trouble with roots (from sweet gums) getting into the leach field of my septic system and clogging the lines. The trees are gone now and so is the sewage bubbling up from the ground.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
6/1/12 10:36 a.m.

Yep, that is a fairly good sized tree. Would make for some good firewood for someone.

I will keep in touch, send me your email address, mine is rjpajer at mindspring dot com

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/1/12 10:48 a.m.

Little excavators rent for $200 per day.

Crooked plumbers (I'm looking at you Gillece Plumbing) rip you off for hundreds and hour.

DIY. It's water, it's not going to explode. Just don't inhale it.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/1/12 10:58 a.m.

I'm with pinchvalve, excavators and trenchers are easy. They even make special repair pipe sections just for this purpose. Or if you want to replace the whole section of pipe all you need is the measurement and home depot will thread the pipe for you for free. That and a chain saw and beer and you are in business.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
6/1/12 7:36 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Received estimates for both the tree/root removal and pipe replacement. The plumber provided two quotes; one to just fix the line and another that includes replacing the line all the way to the inside cut-off valve. The latter is nearly double the price of the former but the chances of future failure are but eliminated. Both prices were "in the ballpark of expectation" but that doesn't mean I'm a happy camper; I'm a cheap bastige.

The tree quote was remarkably low and came from a reputable company; this was the high point of my day.

As for the DIY recommendations, they are appreciated but there are extenuating circumstances. Everything is concentrated in a very small area (say 20'x20') with neghbors touching shoulders; it's a townhouse, afterall.

The utility lines need to be located and marked as I won't interfere with the neighbors any more than necessary. A request for this service has been filed and "should" occur early next week. The tree comes down on Wed. and I'm scheduling the plumbing for (hopefully) the day after - if the lines are marked and the roots are gone.

At least that's the plan for now.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
6/1/12 7:44 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: In reply to PHeller: Well, the tree is really sick so it was going anyway. My hope was that the root system wouldn't compromise the water line. Wrong on that one.

The tree isn't sick - it's thirsty.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
6/1/12 8:56 p.m.

Never seen trouble with water in- we fight tree roots in the sewer lines here all the time. 40' Manchurian Elm parked on top of the line...

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
6/1/12 10:24 p.m.

I had trouble with tree roots in the sewer for years. There are few things more disgusting than having sewage, complete with floaty bits, coming up in your basement. Finally, the city must've gotten sick of me calling them to snake out the pipes and stuck a camera down to determine whose property the problem was on. Fortunately, it was their's. Interesting how they fixed it. Rather than dig anything up, they sent down a resin tube filled with an inflatable bladder. Once the resin had hardened (24 hours) they removed the bladder. That was four years ago, haven't had a problem since.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/2/12 12:40 a.m.

Get someone with a pneumatic pig or a directional drill to push a new line in. No mess just a small hole at each end. I used to charge 500 dollars.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/2/12 9:50 a.m.

Is this 'water' (pressurized) or 'sewer'? If it's sewer, I'd just dig that dude up and lay down PVC, it's not hard just strenous and can be sorta stinky. Leave the tree be.

Make sure you call a utility locator service first!!!!!

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
6/2/12 10:06 a.m.

I can relate to what Lesley said. I had similar problems except the blockage was in my line. Had to have the line "rooted" out every so often. The huge Maple tree was causing the problem. then it started dieing. It as on the terrace so the city had a half price deal to remove it. Due to a bureaucratic mix up. I didn't have to pay anything. Might have cost $900. Haven't had a blockage since. I do miss the shade of that old tree though.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
6/2/12 10:06 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Is this 'water' (pressurized) or 'sewer'? If it's sewer, I'd just dig that dude up and lay down PVC, it's not hard just strenous and can be sorta stinky. Leave the tree be. Make sure you call a utility locator service first!!!!!

This is the water line; no sewer issues. Tree has got to go as it's on it's last legs; imagine a stick-figure with hairy armpits doing a hand-stand and you'll get the idea.

Utility locator has been contacted and hopefully everything will be marked before the tree service arrives Wed. AM. The tree is coming down regardless, even it it means the root removal is delayed by a day or so.

My main concern is having the crew be vigilant enough to avoid further damage to the water line and to not damage the sewer line.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/2/12 11:58 a.m.

Sounds like a plan, then. Man, never seen a tree take out a pressurized water line before, it must be a badass plant. I have two ginormous loblolly pines in my front yard and they haven't gotten any of the plumbing.

Yet.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G3eIT5yLXaNp6Mn5a7zKtVoqnbqis2vSkIVobxSOiZYjlRpJApbR4Dp6nxCjDgfY