singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
8/30/16 1:00 p.m.

So I have been with ATT for a few years and am looking to save some money with a prepaid service. I have a phone that is compatible with Republic Wireless's new service so I ordered a sim and set it up. Work's OK so far but I can't transfer my number over. I would really prefer to keep my number. As of today, my data requirements are under 1gb and my minutes are fairly low. I text a bit but nothing crazy. If there isn't a way to port to Republic, what are some other sub $30 services? My phone is a Moto X Pure which is supposed to be about as compatible as possible. I am in Central MO.

TLDR: Thoughts on how to port my number?

Or

What cheap cell service should I buy?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/30/16 1:44 p.m.

Did the Republic SIM arrive with a phone number already assigned to it?
If yes, you will need a Republic SIM w/o a number assigned to it and then port your ATT number to that Republic SIM.

I too have a Moto X Pure and love it.
I am on VZ (since I need their coverage in my rural travel routes and all others are poorer around here.)
I have VZ Prepaid at $45 for Unlimited talk and text w/ 2 GB fast and unlimited slow. By setting up autopay I get an addt'l 1GB of fast included (making 3GB.)

I have not used Republic but the fact that the service is derived from Sprint is enough to keep me away.
I see that Republic sells a Moto X Pure. What I am not sure is that if you buy the Moto X Pure through Republic will it be truly unlocked to work on all carriers. I know if you buy from Moto directly it will be unlocked but you may want to verify that if you buy it through Republic it is still unlocked.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
8/30/16 1:55 p.m.

Your current carrier has to release the number, and the new carrier has to pick it up.

Been a while since I last did this, but it's almost always taken a phone call to customer service to get it done.

tedium850
tedium850 Reader
8/31/16 8:45 a.m.

You could try Consumer Cellular...they use AT&T (or T-Mobile) towers and I'm pretty sure you can choose which one. Their plans are generally gear towards people who don't use much data and/or voice. You'd have to run your numbers on their site to see if you'd be around the $30 mark. Assuming your phone is "unlocked", it would just be a sim card swap and have CC port the number. You can generally find a "store" at Target or Sears if you'd like to talk with someone rather than all on-line. I've swapped from Verizon for about a month and it has been relatively painless one we figured out our new phones (we were ready for upgrades though). We went from $150 per month for 2 phones down to around $70 for 3 phones (we got rid of a home line and got a "spare" cell to use as our home line). Another option might be Cricket since they use AT&T towers also...

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
8/31/16 9:16 a.m.

Look at ting also, I've been using my wife's old AT&T phone (once unlocked by them). They use Verizon's network, from what I remember, although I believe it's not the full network.

Good luck

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
8/31/16 2:10 p.m.

Ting uses Sprint for their CDMA service and TMobile for the GSM service. My phone is an unlocked AT&T Galaxy Note 3 that I got a good deal on from a friend. The phone number I use was on Verizon first, then ported to Sprint, then to Ting.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
8/31/16 11:22 p.m.

Thank you, now I know.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
9/1/16 10:41 a.m.

Thanks for the info.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NODuA0hdZew4r3HeAHw0e76MifCPm3BbBvyKFJ7OKASez9Lc4uiMhXFLxflpvsDS