Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/09 8:59 a.m.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2009/09/09/met_547528.shtml

Man is buried in '72 Pontiac

Lonnie Holloway apparently didn't subscribe to the notion that you can't take it with you.

On Tuesday, the 90-year-old Saluda, S.C., man was buried in his favorite car -- a classic green 1972 Pontiac Catalina.

"It was unusual," his caretaker, Rosa Anderson, said in a telephone interview after the funeral, but "it was what he wanted."

"That was his favorite car, and he decided he wanted to be buried in it."

She said Mr. Holloway was placed in the vehicle, buckled into the driver's seat with his hand placed on the steering wheel.

Family and friends who gathered at Rock Hill Baptist Church were snapping photos as the car was lowered into an extra large plot, she said.

Mr. Holloway, who worked for the U.S. Department of Commerce for 32 years, died Sept. 2 of prostate cancer.

The car, which friends said Mr. Holloway had bought new, was not the only thing accompanying Mr. Holloway into posterity. Several rifles and six handguns were also buried with him, said Ms. Anderson, who called Tuesday's burial unique.

"No one had ever seen that before," she said.

Reach Preston Sparks at (803) 648-1395, ext. 110

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
9/9/09 9:11 a.m.

Sample:

A '72 Catalina is cool but maybe not "take it with you" cool. If it was a 4 door, taking it with him may have been the right thing since it may be hard to find someone who loves it like he does/did.

Autolex
Autolex Reader
9/9/09 9:17 a.m.

It was a green two door... they are burying it windows down.... with him in the drivers seat.

(saw it on cnn this morning)

there were like 500 tourists taking pictures...

he also said he wanted his guns to go with them so they didn't fall into the wrong hands

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
9/9/09 9:28 a.m.

just in the dirt? no enclosure?

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/9/09 9:38 a.m.

He's gonna be one zombie that you wouldn't want to mess with!

Autolex
Autolex Reader
9/9/09 9:41 a.m.
Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
9/9/09 10:12 a.m.

How long till the local hoodlums dig him up for the guns?

slefain
slefain Dork
9/9/09 10:15 a.m.

Somebody already stole the wheels......

Smus
Smus None
9/9/09 10:29 a.m.

It'll be like Christine...except with a zombie driver and guns...

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
9/9/09 10:33 a.m.

One story above says that he bought the car new, as a retirement present to himself.
He died at the age of 91.
Yes, that is right, he retired 37 years ago at the age of 56.

In one video you can see them taking the wheels off before it goes in the ground.

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
9/9/09 11:04 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: One story above says that he bought the car new, as a retirement present to himself. He died at the age of 91. Yes, that is right, he retired 37 years ago at the age of 56. In one video you can see them taking the wheels off before it goes in the ground.

I would hazard a guess that's because of a tire landfill law. You can't bury tires according to the EPA.

alex
alex HalfDork
9/9/09 3:41 p.m.

That's a big hole to dig.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
9/9/09 5:55 p.m.

I've often thought that I'd like to be buried in my Miata.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
9/9/09 5:57 p.m.

My RX7 might bury me

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/9/09 6:24 p.m.

I used to have a '71 Catalina; the grille was slightly different, but otherwise it was nearly identical to a '72. It was one of the best cars I ever owned.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
9/9/09 10:47 p.m.

There was a guy in San Antonio that was buried in his Ferrari. Now that's the way to go!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xaAOPqevkDcgACeOHktBehX3eJvoZzJUbC3Fu8T8UtfAhJKyxICysxSZ5ArPriH4