Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/17/24 12:39 p.m.
  1. Homologation rules for NASCAR. (Could you imagine the wild road cars we'd get?)
  2. Multi-class racing in F1, so F1 and F2 cars race at the same time. (And why not take it a step further and have F3 and F4 race at the same time, too?)

Again, totally silly ideas I came up with in the shower last night that I know won't ever materialize, but I didn't want to keep to myself.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
10/17/24 12:53 p.m.

I still think 'Top drivers in bottom team cars' and subsequently the bottom drivers are put in top cars and see how much difference there is in driver and how much is just the cars setup

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/24 12:54 p.m.

Have you been watching too many of those Batmobile vs everyone videos?

Colin Wood
10/17/24 1:00 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

No, but I am now.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/17/24 1:58 p.m.

NASCAR homologation specials you say?

I got U fam.

the_machina
the_machina Reader
10/17/24 2:07 p.m.

Way better for NASCAR would be that every team has a set one-million dollar budget for brand new showroom stock cars for the year. Then you'd have some reasonable limits on costs for safety gear to make them safe to run.

Six corvette Z06 and a V6 camaro, can you make them last all season?

Maybe twenty two Mustang GTs would be the better bet to make it through all 38 races?

Don't get too banged up. Don't blow motors, or you'll end up liming the last few races in an econobox.

Colin Wood
10/17/24 4:56 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

I got U fam.

1. Bring back Homologation rules for NASCAR.
BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
10/17/24 5:59 p.m.

Isn't F1 already basically multi class racing with the top 3-4 teams racing each other and then everyone else scrapping for points, lol.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/17/24 6:33 p.m.

I would love to see NASCAR run actual showroom cars with cages. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
10/17/24 6:41 p.m.

I always thought NASCAR should race like the general public drives and hold a cell phone to your head with one hand and talk and drive with the other hand. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/17/24 6:41 p.m.

Get rid of qualifying completely.   The starting grid would be reverse points.  Yep, put the highest ranked cars at the back of the pack and make them drive to the front.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/17/24 6:42 p.m.

Wait, you want STOCK cars in STOCK car racing!

Are you daft!

I say, give each team a car (could be stock, whatever).  Give them 2 months and a $100,000 budget (including labor), and a $10,000 bonus between each race.... document everything, see what they come up with.  (Yes, there would be a lot of accounting)

Or... give them $2000 and.... oh wait....

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/24 7:06 p.m.

Yep homologation for nascar and grid drops for F1. Forced inversion would be fine but I would take a grid drop to be able to earn passing points too. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/17/24 7:56 p.m.

Guys- We've been through this already, a dozen times.  There are already all sorts of boring showroom stock race series that nobody give two gentle berkeleys about.  Nascar stock cars are exactly what they are, and there is a pretty good crowd of people who pony up a bunch of dough to watch them.  Give it up.  if you'd rather watch a bunch of Civics run door handle to door handle, it's out there.  Support them.

F1 is supposed to be real racing, not an exhibition.  If you are the fastest guy, you should berkeley off over the horizon from opening lap of qualifying, thereby proving you have the best and fastest package that weekend. Punishment for performing well is fine for the local Saturday night specials, but NOT for real race cars and drivers.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/24 8:05 p.m.

Want to make F1 more exciting? Stop racing in the desert where it doesn't rain!

More Spa races. Move Canada to November. Schedule Miami for hurricane season. Race in Seattle, not Vegas. Give us some weather, that always makes the race more interesting.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/24 8:57 p.m.

I still think ramps in the straights and every X laps having last place turn around and go the other way would do wonders for excitement and viewer numbers.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
10/17/24 10:16 p.m.

NASCAR could probably be fixed by getting rid of the gimmicks and forcing the cars to use the actual bodies of the cars they're pretending to be. At least there must be trickle down aerodynamic advantages.

F1 though. Lost cause. It's already the least exciting form of motorsports that isn't drag racing. Just a bunch of rich kids in go carts having a parade.

So... I'd say... spec tire, and no downforce.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
10/17/24 10:46 p.m.

Random pole positioning.

You could be #1 in points but you're starting in 32nd. Could be the slowest car but you're outside row 1. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/17/24 11:02 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

I got U fam.

Somewhere, there is heavy breathing from Wally.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/17/24 11:49 p.m.

You want to make F1 far more interesting to watch.  Make them drive these (including the bias ply tires):

Lotus-Ford 49

You MIGHT want to do something about the fuel tanks on either side of the driver though...   rollover protection might need a bit of a boost also...

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
10/18/24 1:10 a.m.

Unlimited engines. Limited fuel quantity.

Cars getting too fast? No gimmicks necessary. Just sufficiently reduce the fuel allowance.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T51B2QQDwg73QhW32LRpogYfWnYpuFfYXaEY4ZA0Q4VjPw5GULL7cfwBWaUMv93M