1 2
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/18/24 11:10 a.m.

Most of you guys are on the wrong track, so to speak.  I believe that NASCAR could greatly increase interest, viewership, and attendance by modifying not the cars, but rather the tracks.  The answer is simply adding an "X" in the middle of the current oval tracks, making a figure 8.  I mean, it's basically a high-speed demolition derby now.  Why not embrace it?

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F32%2F34%2Ff6%2F3234f6b3fa65ae7c5f26ce77ac569217--race-tracks-denver.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=96efc114ade23dd20f569c3554ced399e5de2d1a3a5f21155442155d9580066b&ipo=images

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FwZKqhvch3mU%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=cfea7a38f2c9c725d21a6710481f2214e00946afa456816529308fa8e40a6acd&ipo=images

grpb
grpb Reader
10/18/24 3:17 p.m.

Winged spring cars + dirt roadcourses.  Replace 900hp 410" V8 with 1200hp hybrid or EV powertrain of choice.  Boxing ring between track exit and podium steps to settle disputes.  Speeds will be much reduced, tire manufacturers should be happy.  But halos will need to be significantly uprated.

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
10/18/24 4:22 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Even unlimited engine choices won't necessarily make the racing more interesting.

I think it would if running the full race at full power meant not having enough fuel allowance to finish.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/24 4:27 p.m.
Driven5 said:
Keith Tanner said:

Even unlimited engine choices won't necessarily make the racing more interesting.

I think it would if running the full race at full power meant not having enough fuel allowance to finish.

Not many people seem to enjoy the "lift and coast" fuel saving we were seeing a few years back. You don't hear about it much these days though.

I do like the idea of restricting fuel flow to limit horsepower, although the FIA immediately screwed around with that by allowing more fuel flow at higher RPM simply to make the cars sound different.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
10/18/24 5:09 p.m.

What about calling out all the 'I can drive better than that' people from the stands and shoving them in a firesuit and strapping them into the car and putting them mid pack.

"Replacing Max Verstappen for 1 race only, we have user name 'HotDandyDriver' from Twitter sitting in after comments he made online! He'll be starting inside on the 4th row! Let's see how you do!"

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/24 5:36 p.m.

They already fixed NASCAR. Works for F1 too. 

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/18/24 6:52 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

They just need to invert the grid and give passing points. We get a thousand spectators at our crummy little quarter mile oval because it's exciting to watch and there is lots of passing and it's not just a parade with the fast cars at the front. But Formula One has never really cared about fans. Everything is geared towards the factories, and NASCAR used to care about the fans but they lost their way so neither group really tries very hard to put on a spectacle anymore.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/24 7:07 p.m.
Appleseed said:
JG Pasterjak said:

NASCAR homologation specials you say?

I got U fam.

Somewhere, there is heavy breathing from Wally.

Very much.  Racecar styling peaked in the mid eighties with that, and the 962.  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/24 7:13 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) :

As a fan I like inverted grids, as someone who has to watch a driver pass to many cars most weeks I hate it. 

The past few seasons have been the best NASCAR racing I've seen in the cup series maybe every. Close finishes, several possible winners each week. I couldn't tell you how long it had been since I'd watched a majority of the races, this year I've seen almost all of them. The new car is better than I expected at most things other than the low profile tires making it tough to get off the track with flats.  It's not perfect but NASCAR has been a lot more receptive to addressing issues and changing schedules to draw in more fans. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IK97i4wed03ydn11gQoC0tuPyRnTqAdHINagFe5RVK2KfdX1VJveVGtYikMyPPnv