1 2
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/17/24 3:37 p.m.

Reminds me of an old saying that my Grandfather might have used:

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....  It's a duck!

aka "the duck test"

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/24 3:40 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

Ask yourself this question:  "If he's the finance manager at a dealership in the area, why is he buying your truck, instead of one from his OWN dealership?"  Smells SUPER fishy to me.

Is it possible that the dealership uses USAA for vehicle purchases somehow, and he's pushing paperwork through the dealership that says they paid 26 grand for the car even though he's trying to put 10 of that in his own pocket?

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/17/24 3:46 p.m.

Somebody wants to scam somebody.  Walk away and avoid the splash.

zaichikmiller
zaichikmiller GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/17/24 3:48 p.m.

The guy is out.  He didn't seem at all surprised that I refused the check and thanked me for my time and consideration.  I am leaning towards him trying to scam USAA rather than me, but he is definitely trying to scam somebody and I am glad not to be part of it.  I will repost the truck for sale.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/17/24 4:20 p.m.

Good.  He would have walked away with the truck and $10,000 cash, and you would have ended up with nothing.

I'd give his name and address to the local police or sheriff's department, they do track this sort of thing.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
9/17/24 4:28 p.m.
zaichikmiller said:

The guy is out.  He didn't seem at all surprised that I refused the check and thanked me for my time and consideration.  I am leaning towards him trying to scam USAA rather than me, but he is definitely trying to scam somebody and I am glad not to be part of it.  I will repost the truck for sale.

glad you trusted your gut. 

don't be a stranger; stick around for a while 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/17/24 4:29 p.m.

In reply to zaichikmiller :

Please post the truck here, my father-in-law is looking for one.  I may not be your buyer, but someone here might be.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
9/18/24 12:34 a.m.

It was probably a scam. It's possible it wasn't but why take the risk? If something feels even a little bit off, nope right out of there.

I just went through this with rental properties. Plenty of people out there pushing scams.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
9/18/24 2:53 a.m.

100% of the time I have heard of this it was a scam with the intent to scam YOU. If, in the unlikely event this was the exception, (HIGHLY unlikely) there was still something hunky that a honest person wouldn't want to be involved. In clouding Stampie's suggestion, from way back in thread. 
You are 100% correct, to not deal with the guy. In fact, I would not deal with anyone that would hire him. Or anyone's that said anything positive about him. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NhJ3H9Jmc6eIXca5HxhNUpD3YwkMKisVyuhwXAGDrrkZIcGo4nfmnrbpCMlLpWe2