1 2
dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/22/24 6:52 p.m.

Karl is a character in all the best definitions of the word. He's always been the tear off guys I think. In sad he's been banned if that's the case; his posts were always an experience. I contemplated chartering his boat when we were in Florida last year but just weren't close enough. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/22/24 6:55 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Were you around when bribes at the challenge got banned? Karl's behind that one. Something about a pig head. No idea if burned motor oil was involved. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/22/24 8:38 p.m.

There's a Harley joke buried in the title somewhere.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
4/22/24 9:19 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

Oh you aren't the only one! But I'm awful glad I got suckered cuz I somehow missed this on the first go-round...

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/24 9:52 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

A few years ago, my dad got a late start evacuating from a near direct hit on his house in Florida, and Karl's place was his backup if's he couldn't get to my uncle's home in Newnan. I will always be grateful to Karl for giving him that option.  I follow Karl on Facebook, so I hadn't even noticed that he was missing from here. His posts can be difficult to sort out at times, though. Mostly always. 

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/23/24 5:55 a.m.

man... GRM was a lot different before I joined.

I'm still chuckling at this laugh 

Karl sounds like my best friend Bobby.  You love the guy, but sometimes you're laughing your butt off while you tell him why he shouldn't go and do what he's planning on doing.

Speaking of which, I got a message from Bobby last night and I've been meaning to write back (but... see above).  Wish me luck.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
4/23/24 7:34 a.m.

FWIW, Karl isn't banned. He's just focusing on other stuff lately. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/24 12:24 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Like not getting banned. *nods*

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
4/23/24 12:40 p.m.

Karl is definitely a character. I remember one year we did the Challenge early on, we needed some graphics made. He traded his skills in exchange for a random ride for someone in his clan to an airport nearby. I missed the oiled hog fest we see here, but this is very much on-brand. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/23/24 12:45 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

In reply to dculberson :

A few years ago, my dad got a late start evacuating from a near direct hit on his house in Florida, and Karl's place was his backup if's he couldn't get to my uncle's home in Newnan. I will always be grateful to Karl for giving him that option.  I follow Karl on Facebook, so I hadn't even noticed that he was missing from here. His posts can be difficult to sort out at times, though. Mostly always. 

Half the fun of a Karl post is.... deciphering it. It could be a NYT game all on its own. Is he selling something? Is he building a car? Did he make a pie? No one's really sure? 

I THINK I met Karl once. I don't really know for sure. Whoever I met was pretty fantastic though. I believe the truck involved was Karl's S10- I just don't remember if he was at the challenge in 2018. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/23/24 12:51 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Very glad to hear this.  Suppression of free speech is not a good look.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/24 12:55 p.m.

one year i was on vaca with my family on the Gulf coast of FL, and we were going to one of the "swim with the manatees" things.  driving down the road, i see a triumph stag with numbers on the doors in front of a window tint and sign shop.  i'm like "holy E36 M3, that's Karl's place!"  so I told my wife we had to stop in on our way back.  We stopped and chatted with Karl and his wife for a few minutes while our kids played with Karl's shop dog.  Cool people.  I'm glad we stopped.  He gave us a tip on a fish camp type place right down the road, and we had a killer meal there.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/23/24 12:59 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
Tom Suddard said:

Very glad to hear this.  Suppression of free speech is not a good look.

Karl's grammar and composition definitely put the "free" in free speech.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
4/23/24 9:56 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Never "met"any of Karl's writing, till this piped up. But I love your assessment. 
 Sounds like a guy that's more fun in person... prolly been said of me, as well!!!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/23/24 10:40 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I never met him in person but he seems like a good guy. Has some definite political leanings I don't agree with, but I don't have to.

Probably the strongest entrepreneurial spirit I have ever encountered. The guy either currently does or has done just about everything.  He's got like 6 side hustles going at any one time.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
4/23/24 10:55 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Lol-Good to know. I had no memory of Karl doing anything other than being Karl, and that didn't seem like something worthy of being banned anywhere-especially here.  

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/24 7:52 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I heard a rumor that he went back to medical school. 

Gary
Gary PowerDork
4/24/24 8:29 a.m.

Karl also has unique appreciation of music and displayed it here often. I have to thank him for introducing this maniac to me.

(Unknown Hinson)

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/24/24 8:43 a.m.

The definitive book on Hog Hunting on horseback using only a lance.   

"Pig Sticking or Hog-Hunting" by the founder of the Boy Scouts: Lord Baden-Powell

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/24/24 11:11 a.m.

In reply to Gary :

Karl introduced me to Milking the Goatmachine with this (note: NSFW) song:

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/24/24 1:30 p.m.

This was a very memorable conversation for me, and I've had a few on this very board. 

Fly fast and free, Karl. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/24/24 5:58 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

Proving that first instincts are usually right....

Karl, did you know it takes very little oil to cause significant groundwater contamination?

Margie

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI Reader
4/24/24 6:16 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Marjorie Suddard said:

Proving that first instincts are usually right....

Karl, did you know it takes very little oil to cause significant groundwater contamination?

Margie

That's how my dad took care of used oil. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/24/24 7:12 p.m.

I'm speechless. And so confused. 

Also, FWIW, declaring open season is fun and all, but the MO DOC recommends NOT running and gunning like they do in TX and AR; the hogs split and run and end up everywhere. Their preferred method is bagging the entire herd all at once by way of those big round traps or stuff like that. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wrxzz8kO0jL2olfCZEfYJx4oCJczZQsNrwuon4QfKgc4MmKUMUi3rwHoEt7XQFTq