1 2 3 4
fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
11/5/20 12:59 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:
infinitenexus said:
Only caveat is we would need pet friendly (cats) and some option for parking.  We can't ditch our cars yet since we still owe too much on them.  I'm very comfortable with public transit though, as I lived in South Korea for a year.  Thanks for all the tips!  I'll definitely get in contact with you when the time gets closer.

I don't know the answer to this but it makes me wonder:   How complex would it be to have your US Spec cars in Canada long term?  Can you eventually sell your US car to a Canadian?  

Depends on the car. Note that snow tires are required in Quebec in the winter, so be ready for that one.

http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx 

The snow tires rule is only for cars registered in Québec. But it's still a really good idea to plan on having some. Especially in Montréal because it can take a week after a good snow storm before the roads are cleared.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/5/20 1:03 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
infinitenexus said:
Only caveat is we would need pet friendly (cats) and some option for parking.  We can't ditch our cars yet since we still owe too much on them.  I'm very comfortable with public transit though, as I lived in South Korea for a year.  Thanks for all the tips!  I'll definitely get in contact with you when the time gets closer.

I don't know the answer to this but it makes me wonder:   How complex would it be to have your US Spec cars in Canada long term?  Can you eventually sell your US car to a Canadian?  

Depends on the car. Note that snow tires are required in Quebec in the winter, so be ready for that one.

http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx 

In a quick review, it seems the requirements for long term include paperwork, inspections and...   

modifications may include: daytime running lamps, electronic immobilization system (see Note 1), metric odometer and speedometer labels.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
11/5/20 1:05 p.m.

Somebody tell me if they do things differently now, but something like 95% of all rental leases in Montréal used to terminate on June 30 every year – resulting in, among other things, a giant sucking sound as all the vans for hundreds of miles around went to Québec for the Big Day.  I'm just mentioning it in case it makes a difference in finding accommodation in another month.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
11/5/20 1:13 p.m.
fanfoy 

That's a good school. But I am guessing that you'll have a hard time finding a private school (like that on) that would accept your GI bill. You'll probably have more luck with the public system. Maybe look into Cegep's (what college is called here). Check out this site.

You should be able to get a really nice apartment for 1400CAD. How many cars would you need space for?

The car issue is probably going to be the biggest issue. Right now I have a 2012 mustang gt and I refinanced it two years ago so I owe more then it's worth at the moment. My wife has a Prius, that we'll keep. The display easily switches from miles to km. I just need to find a way to get rid of the mustang and we should be good. I'm good with walking, biking, etc. initially when I get up there all I need is a studio in a halfway decent area. I've seen tiny places for $600 that were perfect. Later on when The Wife moves we'll get something better, and at that point we'll need parking for hopefully just one car. 

that's a good point on the school. I like that they have a networking program - something that's short, to the point, and would get me right in the workforce. The public colleges tend to just have degrees in computer science, which is great but would take a long time. I'm 39, I don't want to go to school forever, I want to work haha. 

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
11/5/20 1:21 p.m.
Stealthtercel said:

Somebody tell me if they do things differently now, but something like 95% of all rental leases in Montréal used to terminate on June 30 every year – resulting in, among other things, a giant sucking sound as all the vans for hundreds of miles around went to Québec for the Big Day.  I'm just mentioning it in case it makes a difference in finding accommodation in another month.

Very good point! That is an EXTREMELY sucky tradition here. July 1st is official moving day in Montréal. But I'm guessing that for the immediate future OP will look for a furnished apartment? Those are more loose for the dates because they are usually rented by foreigners. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
11/5/20 1:29 p.m.

In reply to fanfoy :

Actually I would look for unfurnished as they're generally cheaper and that way I can get my own stuff. Although I've noticed there's a LOT of furnished apartments in Montreal. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/5/20 1:44 p.m.

On your US Prius the there is a button to make the speedo read in KMs but the odo continues to read in Miles.  Seems one of the changes is that the odo has to always read in KMs. 

Probably some bilingual stickers needed too. 

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
11/5/20 1:51 p.m.

On your US Prius the there is a button to make the speedo read in KMs but the odo continues to read in Miles.  Seems one of the changes is that the odo has to always read in KMs. 

Probably some bilingual stickers needed too. 

There are a lot of US cars that end-up here. The only thing you need is a speedo that has km/hr. The rest can stay as is. 

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
11/5/20 1:52 p.m.
infinitenexus said:

In reply to fanfoy :

Actually I would look for unfurnished as they're generally cheaper and that way I can get my own stuff. Although I've noticed there's a LOT of furnished apartments in Montreal. 

What area have you been looking into? If you can, try to find something near a Metro station (subway).

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
11/5/20 2:44 p.m.

In reply to fanfoy :

I haven't honestly looked very much at specific neighborhoods yet.  I'm not really at that point yet, although I've looked at a crime map and seen that I would probably avoid the immediate downtown area.  That's a good tip on being near a metro station though!  Once I decide on a school and program I'll have to start looking in that area.  Also I've found that facebook marketplace tends to have better selection and prices on apartments than other websites I've seen.

Right now my wife and I are trying to think of how to deal with our car situation.  I don't want to bring my Mustang up there, at all.  It's a horrible car in the snow, there isn't room for us to have two cars up there, gas mileage sucks, and it's the more expensive of our two cars.  We love her Prius and would gladly bring it up there.  A brief idea we had was trading both cars in together on a new Prius, so we could shrink down to one and end up with a monthly payment that's less than we have now.  Ultimately we just need to be super thrifty and pay the cars down as much as possible before we can do much.

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
11/5/20 3:00 p.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

Marketplace should be good. Also look on kijiji .

You are right to avoid downtown although with the Covid situation, there  might be some deals. People are leaving downtown fast. It's a ghost town these days.

There aren't really neighboorhoods to avoid, but they each have their flavor. Depends what you're looking for. I would avoid the east side. There used to be a very clear divide between the French side on the east and the english side on the west side of the island. The "line" was St-Laurent boulevard. This has mostly gone away but you might have more problems finding a place in the very french neighborhoods like Hochelaga-Maissoneuve, le plateau Mont-Royal or Rosemont - La petite Patrie. 

I used to live in Verdun and I really liked it.  For reference:

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
11/5/20 3:20 p.m.

In reply to fanfoy :

Thank you, your replies are so helpful!

Also forgot to mention that we applied for our passports yesterday.  Just gotta wait on those now.  Step one, done!

I've been reading the official Canadian site on international students studying there and it basically says I just need to be accepted to a school with a province-approved Covid-19 plan, get a Quebec Acceptance Certificate or proof I applied for one, get a student visa, prove I have enough money and the ability to quarantine myself for 2 weeks and I should be good, even with the border being closed.  Then when I'm there studying, I can extend my study visa and later apply for a post graduate work permit, and once I've lived there 3 of the past 5 years I can apply for citizenship and be a dual citizen!  Achievement unlocked!  So it looks like I'm starting to get a pretty solid checklist here in order to move:

1.  Sell basically everything in our storage unit.  To make things easy we pretty much plan on moving up there with a few suitcases, laptops, my guitar, and our cats.  Not really anything else.  Just the basics.  Plus the money from selling things will go a long ways towards helping finance this!

2.  Save money and figure out car situation - this is the big one.  I need to get rid of my Mustang (currently upside down on the loan though) and get our two cars down to one.  That'll lower car payments and car insurance.  And sadly, I guess that means I'll have to sell my challenge civic as well, but at least that car is paid off so it'll be easy.  Anyone want a Gulf livery painted Civic?

3. Find a program I want to do at a public university with a province approved Covid-19 plan that is also on the VA approval list and apply and get accepted.

4.  Get a Quebec Acceptance Certificate.

5.  Apply for study visa

6.  Drive there, show everything to the border guard and prove I have the cash to support my family, and quarantine for 14 days

7.  Start new life, including some temporary part time jobs for the wife and I.  And if this all works out well, we could potentially just go up there together instead of seperately.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UberDork
11/5/20 8:18 p.m.

Remember that the GI Bill stipend is also used for tuition, books and materials needed for school so that greatly impacts what you can live off of. And of course finding a Canadian school that accepts American GI Bill. If you are classified as disabled vet then there is rehab education funding that pays for everything for school, including computer but can't draw that and the GI Bill at the same time. Also lose VA Hospital access, not that that would matter much. But may affect recurring treatment for the cause of the disability if there is any. I've spent time in Canada and it's a great country so understand the desire to move there. Frankly, if Canada appeals to you then you might also look into Alaska, Anchorage area. Would be able to keep all you benefits there. There are colleges there. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
11/5/20 8:39 p.m.

In reply to wlkelley3 :

There's a good number of Canadian schools that are accepted by the VA, and if you check their site you can actually see how many people are currently using the GI Bill there.  There's I believe 3 universities in Montreal that are approved and currently have students there on the GI Bill.  There is actually a separate allotment for books, a one time payment (or once a year, I think) of up to $1000.  The rehab education you speak of is the VA Ch 31, which I've already spoken with a VA rep about.  It's a fantastic program!  Basically, once my GI Bill runs out, I'll switch over to the VA Ch 31 so I can keep getting paid to go to school.  You bring up a very good point about medical though - I need to check with tricare and see what my options are when in Canada, and also see what steps I have to take in order to be covered in Canada.  

Catatafish
Catatafish HalfDork
11/5/20 10:09 p.m.
infinitenexus said:

I guess I forgot to mention the most important part:  The move would of course be depending upon the border reopening.  Last I read the closure was extended to November 21st.  We'll see what happens.  But, assuming the borders become opened at some point in time, then I would be getting a student visa, which from what I read is an expedited visa.  My wife would also get accepted to a school and get a student visa when she came up.

I have extreme doubt that the border will be opened this year. I'd say spring is a better bet. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
11/6/20 9:55 a.m.

In reply to Catatafish :

Since posting that I've learned that I can get through even with the border closed as long as I follow the steps I posted above.  So I should still be good.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
11/6/20 2:15 p.m.
DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
11/6/20 8:52 p.m.

If, one day, you take out Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status you'll be required to file taxes in both countries. You don't necessarily have to pay both, mostly just the one you reside in, but US citizens are blessed with the obligation of filing annually regardless of where they live. Peruse the US-Canada tax treaty in your spare time. There are extra details to understand if you should derive income from both jurisdictions.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
11/7/20 7:56 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

If, one day, you take out Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status you'll be required to file taxes in both countries. You don't necessarily have to pay both, mostly just the one you reside in, but US citizens are blessed with the obligation of filing annually regardless of where they live. Peruse the US-Canada tax treaty in your spare time. There are extra details to understand if you should derive income from both jurisdictions.

That's a really good point to remember, thanks!  I'm a disabled vet (70%) so I do get a small retirement from that, but it's supposed to be tax free.  Same with the GI Bill monthly stipend, which of course means they're both almost tax free.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/7/20 9:02 a.m.

Be  aware that your credit score and driving record may not follow you over the border.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
11/7/20 9:04 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Be  aware that your credit score and driving record may not follow you over the border.

When I moved from Canada to the US my credit score became unavailable, but my driving record was there for my insurance company to see.sad

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
11/7/20 9:06 a.m.
infinitenexus  said: That's a really good point to remember, thanks!  I'm a disabled vet (70%) so I do get a small retirement from that, but it's supposed to be tax free.  Same with the GI Bill monthly stipend, which of course means they're both almost tax free.
In Canada they may not be tax free. I'd be very surprised if they were.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
11/10/20 8:29 p.m.

Update!  Thursday morning we have an appointment at a local dealership to trade in two of our cars for one new car.  As long as they give us the deal I will be asking for, it'll save us probably around 200 bucks per month including insurance over our current two cars, plus parking will obviously be easier with one car versus two.  And with a small SUV versus our current Prius, we can carry a little bit more with us when we finally make the drive up there.

I've been searching through the list of approved schools on the VA's website and currently a school in Ottawa (Algonquin College) is actually at the top of my list.  They have a networking program that includes a paid internship that pretty much checks every box for exactly what I want to do.  The Wife and I did have our heart set on Montreal, but Ottawa is only 2 hours away and immigrating there should be easier than Montreal/Quebec.  Plus sales taxes are cheaper and I don't have to get the Quebec Acceptance Certificate.  School would start in the Fall semester.

We've been selling stuff from our storage unit, and we're both getting part-time jobs to help save up money for the move.  According to some websites I've been reading, if I go up there on a study visa I have to show I am financially able to support myself/my family while studying, which apparently translates to having 10 grand available.  So we'll need to save a few thousand more and we should be good.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/20 8:48 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:
NOHOME said:

When I moved from Canada to the US my credit score became unavailable, but my driving record was there for my insurance company to see.sad

Can confirm. Exact same thing happened here. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/20 8:49 p.m.
infinitenexus said:

Update!  Thursday morning we have an appointment at a local dealership to trade in two of our cars for one new car.  As long as they give us the deal I will be asking for, it'll save us probably around 200 bucks per month including insurance over our current two cars, plus parking will obviously be easier with one car versus two.  And with a small SUV versus our current Prius, we can carry a little bit more with us when we finally make the drive up there.

I've been searching through the list of approved schools on the VA's website and currently a school in Ottawa (Algonquin College) is actually at the top of my list.  They have a networking program that includes a paid internship that pretty much checks every box for exactly what I want to do.  The Wife and I did have our heart set on Montreal, but Ottawa is only 2 hours away and immigrating there should be easier than Montreal/Quebec.  Plus sales taxes are cheaper and I don't have to get the Quebec Acceptance Certificate.  School would start in the Fall semester.

We've been selling stuff from our storage unit, and we're both getting part-time jobs to help save up money for the move.  According to some websites I've been reading, if I go up there on a study visa I have to show I am financially able to support myself/my family while studying, which apparently translates to having 10 grand available.  So we'll need to save a few thousand more and we should be good.

My parents both worked at Algonquin and I got some learnin' there myself. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SYHMkWhXlUM8B5zEpMNwgsKkmfUBrfpSrm314BAHG8JaSqOXhODqZIh2FRTscZ9u