1 2 3
Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter SuperDork
8/13/10 6:38 p.m.

Moved from Kentucky and southern Indiana to louisiana when I was 10. Like fried green, I tried to get rid of it, especially whe. I was doing radio, but it still find it in every beer.

It's funny here in KC... Kansas has little accent, but Mo does.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
8/14/10 12:57 a.m.

True story:

My buddy's dad was born and raised in Chicago. Balding with a Tom Selleck mustash. He's on a busines trip on a train. He gets to chatting with some other fellows on said train. When ask were he's from, he replies, "Chicago." To which the other guy says, "Wow! People from Chicago really DO talk like the Super Fans!"

BTW, we're not whining, it's how we allways sound.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
8/14/10 1:08 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Moved from Kentucky and southern Indiana to louisiana when I was 10. Like fried green, I tried to get rid of it, especially whe. I was doing radio, but it still find it in every beer. It's funny here in KC... Kansas has little accent, but Mo does.

TIm, I actually succeded! Problem was, even though the accent was "neutral" enough for radio...my humor never was. Too "dry" to get the marching morons to listen to our commercials, according to my Program Director. I guess Mike Judge's "Idiocracy" was becoming a documentary, even thirty years ago.

Weird thing these days..after I got divorced, I actually paid my child support. Because of the financial trouble that caused, I lived in some pretty dodgy neigborhoods for awhile. To this day, when I talk to my African-American friends, I start sliding into that " `hood " accent as well (and like most accents, you don't even realize you have it until you realize you've been talking with other people who share it). I can't use it like my buddy who grew up as the only white guy in an Atlanta public housing project (hisdad didn't pay any child support...), but I can use that accent well enough to show the homeless guys that I ain't no fool (especially since I work in the city):

"Get yo' damn squeegee off mah window, fool!" (I don't use the "n-word" myself..even though I've lived with the working poor for awhile, I don't feel I've earned it like my buddy has done). Ironically enough, when one of my Af-Am calls me the N-word ("you're my nwordwithAH, man!"), I consider it a compliment.

Studying humanity may be fun, but sometimes, it's just so stinking weird.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
30dS5ZmlMyqrhGXPn5Fvez2F3IAhzZSr6L46SZS9RogZy7JYBx0qeJ3A03VBuV5H