Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/15/24 8:01 a.m.

Per the AP:

Feed them and they will come

Sheriff’s deputies in Washington’s Kitsap County frequently get calls about animals — loose livestock, problem dogs. But the 911 call they received recently from a woman being hounded by dozens of raccoons swarming her home near Poulsbo stood out.

The woman reported having had to flee her property after 50 to 100 raccoons descended upon it and were acting aggressively, said Kevin McCarty, a spokesperson for the sheriff’s office. She told deputies she started feeding a family of raccoons decades ago and it was fine until about six weeks earlier, when the number showing up went from a handful to around 100.

“She said those raccoons were becoming increasingly more aggressive, demanding food, that they would hound her day and night — scratching at the outside of her home, at the door. If she pulled up her car, they would surround the car, scratch at the car, surround her if she went from her front door to her car or went outside at all,” McCarty said. “They saw this as a food source now, so they kept coming back to it and they kept expecting food.”

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/24 8:06 a.m.

So what have we learned boys and girls?

Maybe...

Concerns over feeding wild animals at Palm Bay sanctuary

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/15/24 8:21 a.m.
Toyman! said:

Maybe...

Once you start feeding a group they tell all their friends and they attack you because you can't afford to feed them all?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/24 9:59 a.m.
jharry3 said:
Toyman! said:

Maybe...

Once you start feeding a group they tell all their friends and they attack you because you can't afford to feed them all?

Why didn't anyone tell me Atlas Shrugged was about raccoons?

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/15/24 10:02 a.m.

I've heard of a local who feeds the rats. Someone should toss a couple of them in her car and see how it goes....

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/24 10:49 a.m.

We have hummingbird feeders that my wife maintains..  They can get pretty mouthy chirtling at us if the feeders run low..    Glad we haven't fed anything bigger!

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/24 11:18 a.m.

Sounds like a random event out of Rimworld. :)

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/24 12:20 p.m.

When my father-in-law was on the town council he got a call from a woman who wanted to know what he was going to do about all the stray cats around her house.  She kept feeding them but they wouldn't go away.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/24 12:35 p.m.

Kitsap county? Does not surprise me at all...

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/24 12:40 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

A lady down the street used to call and complain that our cat, Jack, was hanging out at her house and she constantly had to feed it. 

She was flabbergasted when I suggested that if she would stop feeding him canned cat food and tuna he wouldn't go hungry, he'd go home. 

Lady if you are serving a 5-star meal and I'm serving diner food, where do you think he's going to eat? 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/24 12:53 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

It's not the same thing at all but that reminds me of when we once tried to put one of our cats on a diet and he went down the street and moved in with one of the neighbors...

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
10/15/24 1:12 p.m.

Coming soon to a theater near you. Oh the horror. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/24 1:46 p.m.

A guy I used to work with told me about the Toronto Raccoon Lady. There's a woman who has turned her backyard into a raccoon resort, including a kids' pool she uses to give them raccoon baths. The house has a detached garage in the backyard that everyone in the neighborhood suspects has become a raccoon hibernaculum.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/15/24 5:33 p.m.
APEowner said:

In reply to Toyman! :

It's not the same thing at all but that reminds me of when we once tried to put one of our cats on a diet and he went down the street and moved in with one of the neighbors...

That cracked me up smiley

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/24 7:59 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

A guy I used to work with told me about the Toronto Raccoon Lady. There's a woman who has turned her backyard into a raccoon resort, including a kids' pool she uses to give them raccoon baths. The house has a detached garage in the backyard that everyone in the neighborhood suspects has become a raccoon hibernaculum.

Yeah, this is me. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/16/24 8:14 a.m.

Raccoons are cute, in cartoons.  If they decide to live in your house, it's time for firearms.  They are destructive well out of proportion to their size.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
10/16/24 9:54 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Raccoons are cute, in cartoons.  If they decide to live in your house, it's time for firearms.  They are destructive well out of proportion to their size.

Truth. Once they invade, it's all-out warfare. However, the key is to try to avoid situations like this. You can't blame the raccoons for taking advantage of fools who feed them.

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
10/16/24 10:01 a.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

Trash Pandas gonna Trash Panda. 

Raccoons and coyotes in particular are consummate survival experts. They really don't need the help.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e8niXUklaK78WVL2Iv9sfXMBSNvMJfJ5CPvgVR012NUnN3GSqWQBGwOg5M7Jz5rG