curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/30/08 9:51 p.m.

If the wife says, "honey, I want to support your rallycross hobby, so take me with you," here is what you have to look forward to. Annoying for some, loads of fun for others.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=35090624

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/31/08 1:50 a.m.

Thus concluded the Stig's first and last day as a taxi driver.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
5/31/08 3:12 a.m.

At least she didn't start begging the driver to slow down or anything stupid like that.

Dwight Varnes
Dwight Varnes SuperDork
5/31/08 5:15 a.m.

LOL, that's my mother-in-law's reaction riding with me. My wife enjoys that kind of stuff though.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
5/31/08 5:45 a.m.

A few years ago we had a fairly new guy bring his wife out to an autoX. She climbed in for his first run and screamed bloody murder from timing light to timing light. I don't think she inhaled for the entire 45 seconds.

We didn't see him much after that.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/31/08 6:28 a.m.

I have to admit... my first time at the autoX, I rode along with the day's winner; a corvette gran sport. I have to admit that his driving was far beyond mine, but I didn't scream like a little girl. I just let my helmet bob helplessly from the door to my left shoulder.

skrzastek
skrzastek Reader
5/31/08 7:27 a.m.

same thing happened with my wife at her first autocross. We made one run, I parked the car in line, and 10 seconds later my cell phone rings and it's a buddy of mine who was watching on the hill asking if all the screaming was coming from my car

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
5/31/08 7:33 a.m.

Way back I dated a girl that wanted to get involved and thought it would be fun to drive. I took her out in the car slowly to show the course. Then I took her out more briskly. At the turn around on the course I threw the car in and the back stepped out. OK yes, I drifted the turn around.....but, she was starting to curl up in the fetal position.

Being that I was looking through the side window, my view was slightly blocked by her legs. It was also a little distracting. So I politely reached over, placed my hand firmly on her legs, and pushed them down.

At this point I also asked that she refrain from doing such things as it could be unsafe. I phrased it something like, "Put down your @$%*ing legs!" I finished the turn, and the drift. The rest of the lap she sat comfortably like a stone in the seat, unmoving.

I did appoligize after. Told her I was sorry, that I couldnt see real well, and it was just to make sure I did not get in a wreck in the car from the blocking of the track from view.

aahhhhhh good times, good times.

vladha
vladha
5/31/08 5:40 p.m.

I just snarfled a bunch of diet coke out of my nose, while watching that video... too darn funny and too darn true.

My wife and her mother were in the room while I was watching it. Said wife, left the room and I had to explain to her mother, why. The road course at TWS still echoes with my wife's screaming through the entire 3.2 miles. I can't even explain the noise she was making on the banked straight.

Needless to say, she no longer volunteers to "learn" about my motorsport activities.

Yeah, I'm still giggling... and despite paying for this later, will continue to giggle. Not my wife's proudest moment.

Peas us Riced, Mark

vladha
vladha New Reader
5/31/08 5:42 p.m.

I just snarfled a bunch of diet coke out of my nose, while watching that video... too darn funny and too darn true.

My wife and her mother were in the room while I was watching it. Said wife, left the room and I had to explain to her mother, why. The road course at TWS still echoes with my wife's screaming through the entire 3.2 miles. I can't even explain the noise she was making on the banked straight.

Needless to say, she no longer volunteers to "learn" about my motorsport activities.

Yeah, I'm still giggling... and despite paying for this later, will continue to giggle. Not my wife's proudest moment.

Peas us Riced, Mark

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/2/08 11:52 a.m.

I'll have to show this to the girlfriend. I suspect she'll say something along the lines of "what is her problem?"

She rode with me at the autocross on Saturday. The course was a little tricky as you had different paths from one lap to the next. Every time we reached the point where the path forked, she would point the proper direction and either left or right. Pretty awesome, unnecessary but awesome none the less.

Then on Sunday we ran again, only she sat outside and took pictures. After each run, she kept pushing me to get faster. "Two more seconds babe!" "You should go faster in the middle section." "You were slower through the far corner."

She was watching me adjust the rear shocks on Sunday (what a PITA!) and asking me questions about it and how to properly put the wheels on, etc.

After riding in the CSX (second time its moved under it's own power in almost ten years) down to Eugene, through an Autocross, etc she was talking to one of my club mates and turned to me and told me I should restore the CSX.

Heh, she's lusted after the Mercedes CLK230 Kompressor roadster, until she saw one run on Sunday. "It's too slow, I don't think I'll get one now."

"With a little work it probably won't be too bad."

"Nah, I'm too competitive, I'd want something faster."

"Like a Miata?"

"Yeah, maybe.... or a Honda like that." she said, pointing at a silver S2000 on course. "Hurry up and buy your turbo Miata"

:omg:

I think I've created a monster and I'm loving it!

BTW, pictures from the autocross on Sunday: Photobucket Album for the Shelby

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/2/08 10:20 p.m.

I'm doing well with mine. Her first auto-x, she got a bad case of nerves. Now, she doesn't panic if she experiences extreme under or overstear; she just asks what she did to cause it.

She even says she appreciates my in-cockpit guidance. So I must be doing something right. (Usually I'm just prompting her to get on the gas harder.)

skierd
skierd Dork
6/2/08 11:02 p.m.

That vid made my night!

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
6/3/08 7:54 a.m.

The one time I got on track with the Mrs. was during an instructor session at a NASA event at Summit. The instructor sessions are apparently a little more, shall we say, "aggressive" than the others and after a few laps I decided it was more risk than I cared to expose her to.

Her reaction? "That's fun. Why are we coming in so early?"

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/3/08 10:39 a.m.

Showed it to my girlfriend and she LOLed.

DMSentra
DMSentra New Reader
6/3/08 7:24 p.m.
fiat22turbo wrote: I'll have to show this to the girlfriend. I suspect she'll say something along the lines of "what is her problem?" She rode with me at the autocross on Saturday. The course was a little tricky as you had different paths from one lap to the next. Every time we reached the point where the path forked, she would point the proper direction and either left or right. Pretty awesome, unnecessary but awesome none the less. Then on Sunday we ran again, only she sat outside and took pictures. After each run, she kept pushing me to get faster. "Two more seconds babe!" "You should go faster in the middle section." "You were slower through the far corner." She was watching me adjust the rear shocks on Sunday (what a PITA!) and asking me questions about it and how to properly put the wheels on, etc. After riding in the CSX (second time its moved under it's own power in almost ten years) down to Eugene, through an Autocross, etc she was talking to one of my club mates and turned to me and told me I should restore the CSX. Heh, she's lusted after the Mercedes CLK230 Kompressor roadster, until she saw one run on Sunday. "It's too slow, I don't think I'll get one now." "With a little work it probably won't be too bad." "Nah, I'm too competitive, I'd want something faster." "Like a Miata?" "Yeah, maybe.... or a Honda like that." she said, pointing at a silver S2000 on course. "Hurry up and buy your turbo Miata" I think I've created a monster and I'm loving it! BTW, pictures from the autocross on Sunday: Photobucket Album for the Shelby

Well, since you were in Eugene, what about a Rabbit? Kinda like the yellow one with stripes? :>) I drove that for the first time Sat, and it was my first time autocrossing in anything other than the G20. That car is incredible. I believe I ended up with 2nd TTOD Sat and Sun. behind it's owner both times. Glad you could make it down. And yes, I remember the CSX. Look me up next time, Willamette Pass is the next event. Loren

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/3/08 11:50 p.m.

Nah, she doesn't like VW's. I don't know why, but that's fine with me. I won't tell her that my Porsche is more VW than Porsche ;)

Congrats on getting 2nd fastest for both days! That car was damned fast and you guys earned your times!

We're planning on going to Willamette Pass and Coca-Cola after that. Maybe I can get enough points to win a little hardware, we'll see. At the very least we can have some fun!

I'll try to track you guys down at the next event. Maybe see if the girl might like to take a ride

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A3D4Nxxbc7k3VLmQpPfr5TUUemgFPcoJiUR0yuwYvXUFSBgsvKvIsLoSFGCXJOkq