1 ... 63 64 65 66
ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
8/8/24 8:28 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:
ShawnG said:

Piers Anthony.

Thought I would try a different fantasy author. This guy is awful.

I thought he was great.......when I was in my early teens.

As a friend of mine like to say:  "The golden age of science fiction is 12". :)

Plenty of science fiction out there for adult audiences. It's not all Robotech novels. 

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
8/9/24 12:34 a.m.

+1 on Craig Johnson's Longmire books.  I've met him, he's also a car guy.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/9/24 1:55 p.m.
ShawnG said

Plenty of science fiction out there for adult audiences. It's not all Robotech novels. 

Absolutely, I've been reading SF my entire life.

That said, there a sense of wonder at that early teen age that doesn't last forever.  I still love SF, but it's not quite as special as it used to be.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
8/9/24 1:56 p.m.
ShawnG said

Absolutely, I've been reading SF my entire life.

That said, there a sense of wonder at that early teen age that doesn't last forever.  I still love SF, but it's not quite as special as it used to be.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/24 4:13 p.m.

Among the odd things I nerd out about are stores.  This is an interesting look at women who became heads of major department stores early on and shaped them into successful businesses.  It was the earliest industries to accept women workers and executives pre WW2.  It focuses mostly on three women from slightly different periods who ended up heading stores from very different paths. 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
8/9/24 5:10 p.m.

Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck. I read Cannery Row and Travels with Charley years ago and really enjoyed them. His writing is easy to chew but sticks to your ribs. Kinda like an analog Chevrolet.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/9/24 5:34 p.m.
TRoglodyte said:

His writing is easy to chew but sticks to your ribs. Kinda like an analog Chevrolet.

Just quoting this so I can enjoy it a little longer.

Margie

lownslow
lownslow GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/9/24 8:43 p.m.

Lone Star by T.R. Fehrenbach.

Interesting. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/24 6:30 a.m.

Galaxies greatest chef. 

A very interesting mix of aliens, interstellar travel, and cooking. 

I don't even remember finding it but it was downloaded on my Kindle when I finished the Mobius series. 

A really great read, following a main character through main iterations, across thousands of years, and multiple planets. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
8/11/24 7:05 a.m.

I shouldn't but I might...

My oldest daughter at 16 wrote a dark romance book called Looking Shadows.

I'm actually scared at what I might find inside.

RevRico
8/11/24 7:50 a.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

Don't do it. Found my step daughters fan fiction writing account a while back. You don't want to know. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/11/24 8:43 a.m.

Just finished a book lent to me by a friend, Mistborn, Brandon Sanderson. 

The plot was pretty engaging. It was similar to Harry Potter, but actually well written. There were a few rough spots in the writing, but the character development and surprise was solid.

RevRico
8/12/24 1:55 p.m.

Another Pennsylvania. 

Think my side of the mountain meets 1632, with a strange Christian undertone.

I actually really enjoyed following Phil and Grant on their weird time journey. The author did a pretty good job of touching on a lot of village issues. I don't know that I'll read anymore of his books, but it wasn't bad. 

I don't even remember putting it on my Kindle. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
8/13/24 12:24 p.m.
tuna55 said:

Just finished a book lent to me by a friend, Mistborn, Brandon Sanderson. 

The plot was pretty engaging. It was similar to Harry Potter, but actually well written. There were a few rough spots in the writing, but the character development and surprise was solid.

Reading the rest of those should keep you busy for a while :). There are 2 direct sequels,  4 in the follow-on Wax & Wayne series, plus another dozen or so in the related "Cosmere" universe.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
8/15/24 5:49 p.m.

"A City on Mars" by Weinersmith (s).  Fascinating. It's all about how difficult space exploration (let alone colonization) is.  

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
8/23/24 1:37 a.m.
Duke said:
ShawnG said:

In reply to Duke :

First book in the Xanth series.

Well, that would be a typical place to start.  You have to enjoy puns to enjoy Xanth, it's true.

Piers Anthony is like a dumber, cruder, less thoughtful Terry Pratchett.  In other words, take away all the things that make Terry Terry.

If you want to try again, try either of the other two series I mentioned.  But I understand completely if you don't bother.

And I gave up.

I don't know how far through I got. It's terrible and it keeps getting worse.

I don't mind a bit of brain candy now and then but this wasn't even entertaining. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/23/24 7:00 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Yeah, fair enough. I haven't read any Piers Anthony in at least 20 years, either. There's no reason to waste time reading things that aren't interesting.

RevRico
8/23/24 7:08 a.m.

Two books into the Cast Away series by Vlad Vorham, well 2 finished and I'm reading the third. 

They're pretty crap, but they're short and quick reads. Interesting concept, I guess, but the writing style kinda sucks. 

General summary: archaeologist finds a weird rock, gets transported 8,000 years into the past, uses his archaeological knowledge to bring civilization to a society of Hunter gatherers. Never has problems after the first month or so, and everything always works out. 

Kinda blah really. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/23/24 9:58 a.m.

Haven’t had time to read this week, but I see that changing tonight. :) 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/24 10:01 a.m.

Torch of Freedom (Honorverse)

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/24 10:07 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

I enjoyed the Xanth series when I was in my teens and early 20s and have read just about every one of the series. At that age, Piers Anthony was one of my top 5 authors. I've read almost everything he has written. 

I tried to read them again in my 40s and they fell pretty flat with the older me. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/23/24 10:19 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I make sure to get 15-30 minutes in bed every night, but sometimes I can only make it 5 or 10 minutes before I keep reading the same sentence again and again.

Currently working on Virtual Light by William Gibson, first of the Bridge trilogy.  Pretty readable and the action just started heating up, a little past the halfway point.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
8/23/24 4:22 p.m.

Oldies but goodies:  Just finished re-reading all of Jimmy Buffett's books, now I'm re-reading Spider Robinson's Callahan's Crosstime Saloon series.  Man, Spider is a hell of a great writer, hasn't done much for a long time, but Wikipedia says he's still with us and working on a book.  Fingers crossed he finishes it, he has always been one of my favorites.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
8/24/24 7:56 p.m.

To live and die on Zug island

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
8/24/24 8:01 p.m.

Zug Island is an industrial hell hole of a foundry area in the Detroit River at the mouth of the rouge River. It's also home to the hungry brain a bar that had all sorts of hardcore punk and metal shows it was quite a place.

1 ... 63 64 65 66

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ABgSRhG22lOo17nMXPSIlhfho885pD0xhPm1tNBrvzVZ5wBxhYHRSTzqha1skTRM