Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
9/4/08 10:32 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
MrJoshua wrote:
ignorant wrote: baltic porter Done.
Selfish bastard!
touche

Amusingly, Arrogant Bastard is a pretty good beer!

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
9/5/08 6:19 a.m.

If a bunch of people are throwing money in the pot to finance this, make sure they like what you decide....

I home brew and enjoy amber beers. Have you ever had a ginger beer? It's light (OK, lighter than amber) with a hint of the crisp sharp ginger taste, very refreshing in the summer. Lambics are good, just a beer with a whiff of fruit like rasberry or cherry. I've made a heavy beer much like a Guiness, but the cost was wicked, lots of ingredients in there! Porters are so heavy and bitter that I only use them for beer can chicken, wonderful gravy when mixed with chicken grease.

Let us know what you decide and when the taste-testing is.

Dan

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
9/5/08 6:46 a.m.

If it's about beer... wow.

Belgium. We went to Spa last year for the GP and was amazed by the beer.

Stopped outside of where we were staying to tour a beer place called McShouffe. They do an amber and a brown- both are really good. And we are lucky enough to have a store next to us that has it!!!

We tried as many as we could (the Roucufourt (sp?) 10 being one of my favorites), but I'm quite sure that there's a whole lot more out there that I would like.

I know it's not really beer, but the alcohol content is close- brut apple cider from Normandy is killer. The dry stuff, not the partially sweet.

Thankfully, next Monday, I head out to Denver for a week to get some good Beer- they have some great brewers around that area, and all bars I've been to has the basic Fat Tire from New Belgium.

E-

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
9/5/08 10:01 a.m.

There's plenty of good beer available around D town. Hit Ashley's in Ann Arbor or my local place Oak Cafe in Wyandotte.

Ashley's has 75+ beers on tap and Oak Cafe has 40 all of which rotate so there's always somethign new to try. Plenty of good beer to go around.

If you want something really differnt, try brewing a Belgian sour beer. They're way out there and polarizing. I like them but no one else I know will touch it.

92dxman
92dxman New Reader
9/5/08 5:59 p.m.

My votes are for Nutty Brown, Double Diamond Porter and Dunkelweizen. Dunkelweizen=best of both worlds..

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
9/5/08 8:00 p.m.

A few summers back I stumbled across Appalachian Brewing Company in Harrisburg PA.

Specialty Beers

Maybe they'll give you some ideas?

My personal favorite is the hefeweisen. Another favorite of mine? Mead. Seriously, how many place brew mead?

If you have the means, I highly recommend picking some up.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/6/08 7:23 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
ignorant wrote:
MrJoshua wrote:
ignorant wrote: baltic porter Done.
Selfish bastard!
touche
Amusingly, Arrogant Bastard is a pretty good beer!

I prefer productive narcissist

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/pronar/

http://www.maccoby.com/Articles/NarLeaders.shtml

ACarlson
ACarlson Reader
9/7/08 4:13 p.m.

Rye! I've really been digging 'em lately. I like my beers to taste like grain (I'm a bread guy, so that's no surprise), and the rye adds a really nice background to a light- to medium-bodied ale.

Jay
Jay HalfDork
9/8/08 3:20 a.m.

"Bintang" pilsener which comes from mostly-Muslim Jakarta is really good. "Bali Hai" lager which comes from non-Muslim Bali is significantly less good. Figure that out.

That's about all I have to say on this topic at the moment.

J

Luke
Luke Dork
9/8/08 5:36 a.m.

^On a related note, Asahi beers, from Japan, are rather good.

fastasleep
fastasleep New Reader
9/8/08 8:24 a.m.

How about something like a Milwuakee's Best? It may not be the best tasting beer, but for the cost it can be made, a LOT can be made for less money, thus yielding enough beer to make people not even care!

Nah, really, how about a rye? I agree with ACarlson; I just like the "grainy" taste, plus there are few examples of great rye beer available domestically. At least here in Georgia this is the case. Did I say "case"?

-Les

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JIJXxdLUXJC1XLFEzPcOENfLzW61ot9YJhZgxvnqA2JTdypIbb7ckF9O6gwkFhJ0