LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
7/14/13 5:06 p.m.

I have a flat black HJC helmet that I autocross. The flat black paint is proving to not be very durable. I've noticed some people have some cool looking customish painted helmets. Is this something I can do myself? What kinda prep work goes into it? Do I need to sand the old paint off? Should I just hire it out? How much does something like that run?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/13 5:31 p.m.

bed liner?

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
7/14/13 5:38 p.m.

I did mine with model spray paint and normal prep. I would remove the flat black if its not sticking well.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
7/14/13 8:20 p.m.

My Bell is shiny black under the flat black, half of which has come off. Only reason I haven't peeled it all is I'm worried about losing the external Snell sticker from the back.

kylini
kylini New Reader
7/14/13 8:32 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: My Bell is shiny black under the flat black, half of which has come off. Only reason I haven't peeled it all is I'm worried about losing the external Snell sticker from the back.

The only one that matters is inside the helmet!

I'd love to learn more too. I have (probably) the same HJC AR-10 II helmet and the rubber coating is scarred like crazy. I'd love to do something ridiculous with mine on the cheap (crazy racing rainbow, sparkles, etc.).

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/14/13 9:30 p.m.

I have no idea if its a real concern or not, but the "rules" say no paint. I'm not saying the race sanction rules say that, I'm saying that helmet manufacturers say its a big no-no. The poly-cross-link, unicorn-hair, kryptonite materials they use can be weakened with paint solvents.

Not sure if that is a true thing or if its like saying that you should use "genuine Motorcraft engine oil." Might be a complete myth. Dunno. They also say you should replace a helmet if it gets a scratch in it.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
7/15/13 8:41 a.m.

Yes, it's something you can do your self. Just imagine painting a car, it's all in the prep work. I think manufactures put the "do not paint without authorized paint" warnings on them so some idiot doesn't soak it in paint thinner or something and soften the shell.

You can get someone to paint it for you, but what you want and quality will determine price. A local airbrush guy could probably do some graphics for under $200, but it'll look like airbrushing. Search for painters who paint kids baseball helmets and stuff for the cheaper options.

If money's no object, there are LOTS of helmet painters out there that do great work, but they ain't cheap. $1000 and up ($3500 if you want the chrome paint). Custom painted helmets are really popular in the karting world from places like:

Corby Concepts

Savage Designs

Brett King Designs

-Rob

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4fyx7F7E5EE20ELlkxyJTjsWuqdwxz02uv4hJnWXaq6waEVV4EVZmdbVKJVJWTwZ