1 2 3 4 5 6
curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/25/15 7:31 p.m.
2.0dohc wrote: Of all my rifles, I like my bolt and lever actions the best. side note, What is it that makes the AR not NY legal?

That's true of a lot of people. I have some of each, but for most rifle-type hunting I prefer pump. I never have to shoot twice (because I'm a perfect marksman of course) but if I do, a pump is easier for me to keep on target while I cycle a round. Bolt is relatively easy with the exception of the bolt and my hand obscuring my sight while chambering, and a lever pretty much requires me to completely reset my aim every time.

For thick, brushy hunting I have a model 94 in .32. For general, non-scope hunting I have an 8mm Mauser. For longer range or bigger game hunting I have a 7600 30-06 with a Nikon BDS scope. In states that allow it, I also have a 742 auto in .308.

But the pump and lever makes for frustrating target shooting; lifting off the bags every time.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
1/25/15 9:08 p.m.
2.0dohc wrote: What is it that makes the AR not NY legal?

Stupid politicians, naturally....

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
1/25/15 9:34 p.m.
stroker wrote:
2.0dohc wrote: What is it that makes the AR not NY legal?look
Stupid politicians, naturally....

That is the short answer. Long answer is NY SAFE act redefines "assault weapon". No pistol grip or thumb hole stocks on semi auto, among other restrictions.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/25/15 9:36 p.m.

I'm always surprised how inexpensive 12 gauge shotguns are. You can pick up an 870 knockoff for like $150. Shells are pennies on the dollar for a box of 100 target loads.

Seems like a cheap way to put some big holes in paper (and anything else )

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/25/15 10:26 p.m.

Wait. So my M1A is NY legal, but my AR-15 isn't?

I was giving this some thought, and I've been considering trading my Ruger Mini-14 for a Ruger Mini-30. While not as inexpensive at a .22 rimfire, I can usually find 7.62x39 on the shelves around here, and with the AR-15, the Mini-14 is kind of in permanent reserve mode right now.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/26/15 6:50 p.m.

I've been giving some thought to constructing a facebook quiz for my anti-gun friends. I would show pictures of two guns with a button to click under the one you think is the assault rifle. I'd throw in a few Daisy BB guns, toy guns, then throw in some AR-15s configured to look like a hunting rifle, and some hunting rifles with military looking things. Then I would throw a curve ball with an octagon-barrel Model 94 because it was the "assault rifle" of its time. While infantry was busy stuffing powder and balls down the barrel of their muskets, a 94 could rattle off 6 shots.

Heck, my 30-06 is matte black with a composite stock and forearm, and I have a bipod on the front and a BDS scope. To the untrained eye, I'm sure it looks like an "assault" weapon.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
1/26/15 7:15 p.m.

In reply to curtis73:

Just show them this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=STeyS6LYIx4

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/26/15 7:45 p.m.

I'll spare y'all my soap box, but I loathe the term "assault rifle," applied to any black military-look-alike rifle. Preaching to the choir here for the most part I'm sure, but it really grinds my gears.

In reply to curtis73:

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/29/15 8:23 a.m.

sorry to resurrect, but I found this! (it's a ruger 10/.22)

http://www.armslist.com/posts/3902633/wausau-wisconsin-rifles-for-sale--ruger-10-22-tribute-to-m1-carbine-wwii

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/15 8:43 a.m.

I always recommend the Barrett M82:

I know zero about rifles, so why not? I am assuming that it is not practical. Or cheap. Or legal. But I like it.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/29/15 9:28 a.m.

It's legal in Free America. Don't think it is in the PRC. Not real practical, certainly not cheap. Ammo is somewhere around 3-5 bucks a pop.

stanger_missle
1/29/15 9:53 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

Holy crap that is cool! Too bad I have the stainless/synthetic model 10/22 or I would be all over a conversion kit.

My dad really wants a Mini 14 in the blued/wood version. It reminds him of the M14 he used in the Army in the early '70s.

stanger_missle
1/29/15 10:01 a.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82:

When I bought my Bushy, the guy at the counter was talking to another associate and said something about the rifle being an "assault type rifle". I told him that it was nothing more than a semi-auto .223. Some people

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
1/29/15 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

Yeah but that $3-5 a shot is cheaper than some of the Weatherby stuff I have shot.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/29/15 2:42 p.m.

I've not done it, and initial investment in reloading equipment, and brass might be cost prohibitive, but I've heard guys claim they can reload .50 for around $2 a round.

In reply to stanger_missle:

SWMBO and I had supper with another couple the other night (husband and wife), they're a tad more liberal than me, don't own firearms, but are curious, have shot some, and want me to take them to the range and teach them. They brought up "that term," and I did a toned down version of my rant for them. Before the night was over, the wife said her first project in her new craft room was going to be building "Lee's Soap Box."

You mentioned cheap 12 Ga. earlier, I bought a new 870 18.5" barrel, 6+1 mag, for slightly less than $300 before tax a couple weeks ago. Cheap buy in, but I've turned it into a project, and it is quickly becoming anything but cheap.

Back on topic though. Thanks to this thread I got to looking at pistol caliber carbines, and discovered the Marlin Camp Carbine, discontinued in '99, they made a 9mm and a .45 ACP. There's a Camp 9 on my local Armslist for $550 OBO, which seems to be reasonable to cheap based on what I've seen on Gunbroker.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

I posted some pictures of this in the "Hotlink" thread earlier in the week, but similar to your M1-ified 10/22, Chiappa/Citadel makes a 9mm M1-esque rifle they call the M1-9, it uses Beretta 92 mags.

I've dropped some not so subtle hints for someone's birthday in a few months.

stanger_missle
1/29/15 3:07 p.m.

It's funny how you might buy an "inexpensive" gun with the intentions on keeping it inexpensive but just like cars, it's easy to fall down the rabbit hole. I bought my Bushy XM-15 for $690 and I'm sure I am approaching the price just in furniture and accessories for it.

I went to the BX Tuesday with the intentions on looking at and possibly buying a 12 gauge shotgun. They had a few in stock including some cheap ones (Tristar?). Of course what did I walk out of there with? A Savage 93R .17HMR rifle. It was $290 (no tax ). I shot my dad's 93R a couple of years ago and was impressed. Plus .17HMR seems to be easier to find than .22LR.

That Marlin Camp Carbine is pretty awesome. I wonder which version is easier to find? I'd love to find a 45ACP version since I have a ton of 45ACP and zero 9mm.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/29/15 3:25 p.m.

Excellent Choice!

My very own Savage 93R17 BTVSS, Nikon Buckmaster "Silver Shadow" 4.5-14x40, Hornady 17 grain V-max are the most consistently accurate rounds, I've shot Winchester, CCI, etc. always go back to the Hornady. It's a "tack driver" and a hoot to shoot, unless the wind picks up.

I just saw that 10 round mags are available for them now, I've got a few 5 round mags, will have to get some 10 rounds.

Finding .17 HMR around here has been hit or miss, I was in NWA this past fall, stopped in Cabela's at the right time on the right day, there were 5 boxes of Hornady V-max on the shelf, I bought them all. I used to keep a reminder set on Natchez to alert me when they were in stock, but their shipping cost really kills any cost savings unless you're willing to buy in BULK.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
1/29/15 3:33 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: I've been giving some thought to constructing a facebook quiz for my anti-gun friends. I would show pictures of two guns with a button to click under the one you think is the assault rifle. I'd throw in a few Daisy BB guns, toy guns, then throw in some AR-15s configured to look like a hunting rifle, and some hunting rifles with military looking things. Then I would throw a curve ball with an octagon-barrel Model 94 because it was the "assault rifle" of its time. While infantry was busy stuffing powder and balls down the barrel of their muskets, a 94 could rattle off 6 shots. Heck, my 30-06 is matte black with a composite stock and forearm, and I have a bipod on the front and a BDS scope. To the untrained eye, I'm sure it looks like an "assault" weapon.

I'd like to see that when it's complete.

bluej
bluej SuperDork
1/29/15 3:36 p.m.

Since stanger brought it up, what's the general consensus on TriStar? Their pistols have me curious as an eaa/tanfoglio alternative.

stanger_missle
1/29/15 3:49 p.m.

That is a sharp 17HMR! I have the FSS? The model designations are funky. It's a synthetic stock, stainless barrel but no scope (has the mounts though). One thing I don't like is the stock. It feels like it's made out of Tupperware. I want to get a decent wood stock for it. I also need optics. I feel that a red dot wouldn't do it justice so I'm looking at varible scopes? Do you have any recommendations for around $200? When I bought the .17HMR, I also picked up 2 boxes of Hornady V-max. My dad's has issues using anything else. The rounds fail to feed from the magazine. They seem to get hung up on the feed ramp.

I saw the 10 round magazines as well. They seem to be out of stock everywhere online though. I wish someone would make a 30 rounder

Also, have you heard anything about the Hi-point Carbines? They are pretty inexpensive (or cheap since it is a Hi-point ) and seem to be pretty popular for a pistol caliber carbine.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
1/29/15 3:51 p.m.

Can't speak for the tristar but I've had a collection of the EAA's in 45acp. The My Witness Match is the equal of my fathers built gold coup in accuracy and ease of shooting at half the price. Not saying better or worse to start a 1911 discussion but a lot of target gun for $500. Almost picked up and Witness Silver over the break that was priced right - thankfully it was gone when I came back thru to buy it.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
1/29/15 4:33 p.m.

I LOVE the OE thumb hole laminate stock, I don't know what's available aftermarket, I'm sure you could buy the thumb hole from Savage, though it might be spendy. I haven't got a lot of experience with others. I shot some of Marlin's 17HMRs when I was shopping, but didn't like where they stuck the magazine, it was in the way of my support hand. I bought mine the first year the thumb hole was available, same year Savage first offered Accutrigger on rimfires, so '04-ish. When I saw the ads for the BTVSS I had to have it, and waited it out, the LGS tried to sell me a few others, but I refrained, and bought the first BTVSS they got in stock.

We got my dad a Ruger 96/17 after he ooohed and ahhhed over mine so much. He's weird, he's right handed, but shoots lefty, plus he's got a thing for lever guns, so win-win. Those are the only 17s I've shot.

As for scopes, any of the big names would be a fine choice, I've read mixed reviews about BSA's Sweet 17, but might be worth the gamble, I considered it but talked myself into spending a little more for the Nikon. The Buckmaster I put on my 17 was ~$250, but I specifically wanted a silver scope to match the stainless barrel, call me vain, and there aren't near as many silver scopes to choose from as there are black. My Buckmaster is an older model, before they came out with the Side Focus (SF) models. It has been great, and has held zero since the first day I sighted it in. I don't recall what rings I used, Weaver Grand Slams, maybe?

I've got a lower end Leupold VX-I on my .270, it has been an excellent scope as well, but it's only 3-9x40, I wanted more magnification on the 17, and the Nikon Buckmaster was a better value than anything Leupold offered in similar magnification.

That said I've got a cheap 3-9x32 Simmons that came on my .270, has been on 3 or 4 different long guns since I got it, it's been on a Marlin 995 for 6-7 years now, it's not as clear as the Leupold or Nikon, but every bit as consistent/accurate.

I've handled and shot some Hi-Point pistols, but not the carbine, never been a fan. I guess as cheap as they are, as long as you pull the trigger and it goes "bang" you don't have a lot to complain about. I've heard others that are a lot more gun savvy than I say terrible things about them, but in the same boat know guys that have had their Hi-Points with thousands of rounds through them without any issue. Personally, I have no desire to own any of their stuff, that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one if I came across one for the right price.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
1/29/15 5:11 p.m.

I'm noticing a lot of love for Savage. What I have heard before is very good centerfire, poor rimfire. My limited personal experience would back this up as I am currently in possession of a MK2 GL(.22 bolt, base model, left handed). Overall fit and finish is lacking compared to my 10/22. Some parts, like the mag and where the trigger guard meets the stock, just feel cheap.

The real issue though, is an FTE issue. The extractor in the receiver doesn't make contact with the spent casing to eject it. This has been the case from the first shot fired when new, with any ammo from cheap bricks up to CCI Stingers. The gun's original owner intended to send it back to savage to fix the issue, but he never got around to it, and it is well out of warranty now.

Original owner was my close friend, and he picked it because it was the only available left handed .22 without going special order. Any use has been shooting out behind my place.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/29/15 7:08 p.m.
stanger_missle wrote: Also, have you heard anything about the Hi-point Carbines? They are pretty inexpensive (or cheap since it is a Hi-point ) and seem to be pretty popular for a pistol caliber carbine.

Everything I've read about them seems to indicate they're decent for the money. Primarily hated upon the same reason any inexpensive machine is, people treat them as disposable and abuse them, and then get surprised when they fail. Most negative accounts seem to be secondhand. If one ever shows up in front of me for $100 I intend to buy it just to clean it up (and send it to the factory if needed) and then feed it nothing but wolf and WD-40 and see how long it runs without real cleaning or repair to prove some people wrong (both on the internet and in real life). Last I checked the big confirmed negative is nobody makes a good aftermarket magazine for them. They do have a zippo warranty, i.e. send it in, it gets fixed and sent back for free, no proof of purchase necessary.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/29/15 7:24 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: I've been giving some thought to constructing a facebook quiz for my anti-gun friends. I would show pictures of two guns with a button to click under the one you think is the assault rifle. I'd throw in a few Daisy BB guns, toy guns, then throw in some AR-15s configured to look like a hunting rifle, and some hunting rifles with military looking things. Then I would throw a curve ball with an octagon-barrel Model 94 because it was the "assault rifle" of its time. While infantry was busy stuffing powder and balls down the barrel of their muskets, a 94 could rattle off 6 shots. Heck, my 30-06 is matte black with a composite stock and forearm, and I have a bipod on the front and a BDS scope. To the untrained eye, I'm sure it looks like an "assault" weapon.

minor nerd point. When the 94 came around, no modern army was using powder and ball. You are looking for a henry rifle.. But then you could argue that the spencer came before the henry and vice versa..

When the Model 94 was introduced the US was using bolt action Krag Jorgesens..

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nSrc3Eb6Fq9uBt63uR8BLtim3i8GutErurf00rcr757PFUGdSmBsG6RvnGdGX7Jc