DrBoost
DrBoost Dork
12/28/09 10:13 a.m.

Ok, so a friend of the family died last week. I found out today that he was walking out to his car and had a heart failure (don't know what exactly, but they say not a heart attack). He laid in his driveway, dead for almost 12 hours with nobody noticing. How does that happen?
Now, I'm not saying I take inventory of every driveway and front yard each time I arrive to or leave from my house. But I am surprised that nobody at all noticed a human being laying in his driveway next to his car for half a day.

Rest in Peace my friend.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
12/28/09 10:17 a.m.

kinda like when that senator was getting shot at a few years ago in front of a large crowd on the sidewalk. Some loon had nothing left to lose after this guys bill passed, so he walked up to the politician with a revolver and emptied it at him. Hit him a few times int he arms and such, and everyone just stood there. People are oblivious. Sorry to hear that. Hope it was quick

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/28/09 11:00 a.m.

not sure it is that people do not care.. but that they are oblivious to everything not concerning them. I put a LOT of miles on my bicycle.. usually at night due to my work hours. I have both some VERY bright LED headlights and taillight.. and people still almost hit me because they did not see me.

I am sorry to hear about your friend Dr. We just got word my own uncle is a dead man who had just not stopped moving yet due to his heart and a hanging clot inside it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/28/09 12:16 p.m.

Dr Boost, I'm sorry for your loss.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
12/28/09 12:43 p.m.

I am truly sorry for the loss. I hope you will not give up hope on humanity. I don't think people are heartless so much as overloaded and in too much of a hurry. I know that I have missed important things many times because I was too lost in my own head thinking/worrying about things that ultimately won't matter much when this life is over. If your uncle wasn't easy to spot from the road at 25 mph or more, I might have driven right past him as well.

As I get older I am getting clues about what really matters. Each we all have the ability to notice and connect with the people around us. Thank you for reminding me to do so.

My condolences.

I have lost hope in humanity and this is another example of why......

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/EMTS-Suspended-After-Leaving-Pregnant-Woman-to-Die-79860937.html

I'm surprised I hadn't seen a link to this story on this site yet.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
12/28/09 1:35 p.m.

It's scary what people don't see. OTOH, it's scary what people do when you DO see. One day, on my way to the store, I saw someone on the ground. I immediately pulled over, ran to what turned out to be a young woman, who was merrily chatting away on her cell phone. Flat on her back on the sidewalk. Looking at me like I was nuts, and telling her phone-friend that "... some old guy was asking if I was OK ... yeah, weirdo ..." That's OK. I will still keep my eyes open, and try to help.

carzan
carzan Reader
12/28/09 3:17 p.m.

Yeah, there's a video of an old guy in Hartford getting hit by a car that, of course, continued without stopping. As he is lying in the street, basically dying, people walk by on the sidewalk looking over as if "hey, there's a guy lying in the street" and continue on. A guy on a scooter actually circles him and then takes off as though he thought he saw a dollar in the road and then upon further inspection, discovered it wasn't. No reason to stop, right?

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
12/28/09 4:54 p.m.

First off, my condolences. Humanity has been lost at times and it seems to happen on a more regular basis, especially in the litagous society. And not knowing the driveway setup, is it possible that the location wasn't visable or no one passed by? I know that could happen at my house at the end of a dead end street with the house set back a ways with a wooded lot. No one can see the driveway without heading towards it. Add to that that everyone works and is gone most of the day so no one to look anyway. Most of us go to work kinda early, I leave around 5:45 and sitting at my desk before 6:30AM. It's still dark then.

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
12/28/09 7:59 p.m.

My condolences

I just think people dont care and are to self centered to care anymore.

paul
paul New Reader
12/28/09 8:04 p.m.

Sorry for your loss...

Humanity's been somewhat lost for some time now: http://jalopnik.com/395233/elderly-man-hit-by-car-nobody-seems-to-care

mad_machine
12/28/09 8:36 p.m.

a number of years ago, I was sitting in a delivery truck in Atlantic City, stopped at a light. I watched an older lady get off of the mini buses we call "jitneys" and fall flat on her face. The jitney drove away and nobody stopped to help. I hit the four way flashers and got out to help her up.

As I helped her to a bench to sit.. the guy in the car behind my truck (it is a 4 lane road) starts yelling out his window at me to get the truck out of his way...

carzan
carzan Reader
12/28/09 8:55 p.m.
paul wrote: Sorry for your loss... Humanity's been somewhat lost for some time now: http://jalopnik.com/395233/elderly-man-hit-by-car-nobody-seems-to-care

Yeah, that's the story I was talking about in my post above.

orphancars
orphancars New Reader
12/28/09 9:19 p.m.

Life lessons are best taught by our parents...............

When I was little I remember many, many, MANY times the reach of my Dad's hand on the back of my shirt/jacket/whatever, along with the phrase, "Son, watch where you are going." I think as a result of that I'm a little more aware of what is happening around me -- I see a lot of folks that are either too engrossed in their own little bubbles or just don't care to be bothered/want to "interfere" with someone else.

I don't think anyone watches where they are going, either literally or figuratively, anymore....

Dr Boost -- I am sorry for your loss.......

mad_machine
12/28/09 10:19 p.m.

Mom always taught me to "keep my radar up"

It has kept me out of a lot of trouble... and gotten me into a lot of fun trouble

DrBoost
DrBoost Dork
12/28/09 10:46 p.m.

Thanks for the condolences folks. I think I tend to keep my radar up and look outside my little bubble, but this is going to help me make sure I do.

PeterGrave5
PeterGrave5 New Reader
12/28/09 11:04 p.m.

we haven't seen this driveway, it could be like really long and tree lined. just holding out hope for humanity

dimeadozen
dimeadozen New Reader
12/29/09 10:49 a.m.

Last summer, There were a series of attacks in Denver, gang initiation-related. In one instance, a guy was attacked outside a nightclub. He was beaten around and thrown through a plate glass door, at which point he fell to the ground. The attackers then drug him around in the broken glass. There was a small crowd of witnesses, who apparently laughed and cheered throughout the incident, not trying to stop it.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/29/09 10:59 a.m.

Sorry to hear of your loss, Dr Boost.

Unfortunately, passersby ignoring the plight of others is nothing new.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Genovese

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
12/29/09 11:19 a.m.

So sorry for you and for the family.

Don't give up. Might just be a regional/cultural thing (totally not slamming wherever it is that you live.)

Where I grew up in South Florida, I once walked ~ 15 miles in the middle of the night on a two lane road to get to a buddy's phone to call a wrecker. Probably had 30 or so cars pass and not stop; cars that had recently passed my car, which had launched a connecting rod and had the hood up. I was giving the universal "Just need a phone" gesture every time a car passed.

Several years later, I'm in the middle of the sticks here in North GA, and had launched a rod on the Integra. First car stops. Guy lets me use his cell to call AAA. WHILE we're sitting there, multiple cars stop and ask if everything is alright. After he leaves, car after car at LEAST slows down and looks for a thumbs up/thumbs down. One guy stops and offers me a bottle of water (it was the middle of summer.) I say "No thanks." 5 minutes later, he's looped back around, rolls down the window and says "Take a damned bottle of water, man. Just in case" and tosses one out the window. A few minutes later, a Highway Patrol car stops and pushes me up the hill, out of harm's way, and in an easier spot for the wrecker to load me.

Humanity isn't dead. It's just hiding in the sticks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CShstg2mjfXMADSebsxwO0HUoD9rUfYU0MZ2gdeePuyMd71qHb4nG2Qqo3A6SsV1