1 2 3
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/9/13 3:16 p.m.
Mmadness wrote: As said, Honda offers one on the top trim level Goldwing but I don't that is particularly useful in real world situations.

What if you like big butts and you cannot lie?

(Always happy to post those pics )

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
4/9/13 3:19 p.m.

In reply to whenry:

My car handles driving on the shoulder a hell of alot better than their bikes will.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/9/13 3:23 p.m.
Mmadness wrote: The airbag suits used to be ridiculously priced when they came out ($4,000!), but now they are a more reasonable $285 or so. I don't ride, but if I did I would definitely purchase one.

$285 sounds like about enough for a standard jacket OR pants of decent quality, not an airbag-equipped suit.

Got links?

I'm seriously interested. I'd like to get a better spine protector for my Vanson suit, and this is another upgrade I'm all over if it's a reputable brand for sane(ish) money.

I'd be pretty dubious of anybody I'd never heard of doing one of these. Getting the triggering algorithm wrong could cause a lot more harm than it prevents...

NGTD
NGTD Dork
4/9/13 3:35 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: be careful out there.......no shortage of dumb.

Now that belongs in the mag!

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
4/9/13 5:38 p.m.

http://www.armoredairjackets.com/index.php Basically, you just attach a lanyard to your bike similair to the safety lanyard on a boat but it takes about 25lbs. of force to remove it so its unlikely you'll triger it by mistake. Replacemnt cartriges are $25. Even though I don't ride, I've seriosuly considered purchasing one for cycling. If you watch MotoGP, you'll see a neck airbag deploy when the rider crashes but the Armored Air Jacket seems much more comprehensive. If you do a search for "armored air jacket" on YouTube, you'll see a few demonstrations.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/9/13 5:46 p.m.

In reply to Mmadness:

Interesting. Thank you!

The ones you see in MotoGP (Alpinestars, Dainese) trigger electronically based on analysis of motion.

I wonder which system is more likely to trigger when needed and not "false positive" (where that includes not just "have I crashed?" but "have I crashed in a fashion where suddenly having a big collar is a Good Thing?")

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fx5WCIwdeYTlixnqDGSqZx5Ic7NZzWdo9Oadi7JpKqILBqklSmIQWgAvrrGSOlPq