1 ... 5 6 7 8
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/5/24 10:28 a.m.

In reply to Crxpilot :

I have always found (even for myself) that when someone says, "I don't want to do this anymore" it's best to let them go at that time.  

In the past, I put in notice and it was a few days they kept me around.  It's not intentional but in those few days, as word gets out, I found it hard not to negatively campaign the coworkers.  

When someone says, "you're lucky to get out of here" it's hard not to have a negative affect on them.  

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/5/24 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

It's in the works. There are some details that need to be worked out 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/5/24 10:46 a.m.
NY Nick said:

In reply to Crxpilot :

Turn in 2 weeks and call it good. Always be prepared for them to walk you out as soon as that happens, especially if going to a competitor. 

And if you know this will happen, plan for a nice two week paid vacation in between :)

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/24 11:02 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

What's the book?

Well soon you will be able to buy "Dad said the F word! A picture book from the garage" on Amazon. 

Based on every car persons life, it started out as a bad idea and steamrolled downhill into 24 pages of pure unadulterated swill. It has my name on it and I am quite excited about it. 

Once live there will be an announcement.  A few people have seen one of the early proofs and all like it.  Words like "Who are you?" and "what did I just read" have been bandied about proving how great works can make you forget yourself.

Available in paperback and Kindle soon!

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
2/5/24 11:59 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Of the 6 times I've left jobs, I've never actually worked a 2 weeks notice. 1st time I was transferring to a different dept/schedule when I decided to leave and they said I could just go. 2nd time, was so toxic, I was going to finish out my notice, but my direct supervisor was leaving too, and said I could just leave. 3rd time, I was willing to stay on PT past my notice to help the company out, since I'd been there nearly 10yrs, and they told me no and also told me to leave before my notice. The last 3 jobs were so terrible that I could only tolerate the BS for a couple months and I just sent "effective immediately" resignation emails after I had packed up my stuff and left the keys on my desk. My current job has been good the first several months but is edging closer to the "why bother with this BMW E36 M3" territory.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/24 6:53 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

What's the book?

Quasi Mofo wrote a book and all I got was this stinking T shirt!

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/6/24 7:14 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

100%. 
the best deal I ever had switching jobs was a required 6 week notice per my employment contract. The company had switched management and it was ugly. I had all my stuff packed, walked in Monday at 8:00 gave my 6 weeks notice, told my team and my coworkers I was moving on and at 5:00 that night I would be at a certain bar for drinks. I was walked out by 9:00 am and got paid for 6 weeks. 
As a manager and an employee I agree, once someone quits it's not going to be a fruitful notice period. Work with the person to transition work, talk to them about how long they want to say their good byes and get them out (respectfully). In a good situation I like to do it in a few days. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/6/24 8:01 a.m.

In my experience, most people have enough tribal knowledge, disorganization, and ongoing projects that 2 weeks is a good amount of time to spend getting other employees up to speed.

That will obviously vary by job role - in  my case I'm mostly dealing with design/project engineers.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
2/6/24 1:03 p.m.

I am now back to Euro work at a Audi dealership.  Thank berkeleying Dale Earnhardt (the one and only true lord and savior).....I hope the only domestic car I ever touch again is my own.  Back to actual shop tools that work, air conditioning,  jobs that actually pay hours....life is good. 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
2/7/24 12:02 p.m.

Boom.  Final piece of the move.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
2/7/24 12:05 p.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

Congratulations! 

No Time
No Time UltraDork
2/7/24 12:07 p.m.

In reply to 90BuickCentury :

I've always hoped to be walked out, but every time I put in notice I ended up staying the full 2-3 weeks. 

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
2/16/24 7:19 a.m.

Orientation for the new dealership today.   Not sure what Orientation is but it can't be too important because I'm doing it at a VW dealer instead of the Audi/Alfa dealer I took the job at.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/24 9:09 a.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

Respect the vintage GRM sticker top left!

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/16/24 9:21 a.m.

Some of the time, chaos.

And some of it is fixable, but no one can be bothered.  

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/24 10:19 a.m.

Every day...WFO

12 Insane Facts You Never Knew About Top Fuel Dragsters

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/16/24 10:46 a.m.

Boss2 (the one who thinks we never have enough backlog) says that we should expect to be pretty slim on work starting around July.

So I may be retiring after my 17th work anniversary on Labor Day, instead of December 31st.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/16/24 11:29 a.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

You know the weirdest thing was I once had a company lay me off effective 2 weeks after the notice. It was the weirdest thing ever especially for the Tech industry. 

Overall, My work is busy as can be. More work than people to do it and more coming in the door daily. My program I'm managing got extended through 2025 for sure so I'm comfortable there and I got a great review. Stock is up 50% over the last year so a lot of happy people around the office. The move to Fintech has been interesting but overall a very good one. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/16/24 11:42 a.m.

It's official, I set the date this morning, I've accepted the temporary layoff and my last day will be March 31.

When business does pick up they'll have to officially call me back and I'll have a decision to make. In the meantime I'll still have full company benefits and be eligible for employment insurance. They're talking 3 months but I think that's being very optimistic. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/16/24 4:13 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

DW retired at the end of 2022 and it lasted 2 months before they called her back. They offered a quarter of her old workload but at double her previous hourly rate, plus 100% WFH.

I realize that last one is not so easy for you.

She'll probably quit for good when I do, but it's up to her.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/16/24 5:17 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I really can't see coming back. I'll miss the social aspect, my apprentice, who finishes school in a week, and of course the ladies. But it's time. I've saved for it and can't make a case to keep on working. And it's too bad because they treat me very well, and  it's a great place to work.  I guess we'll see after a few months, maybe come back two days a week?  I can't see it happening. 

The place I quit to come here called over the holidays and offered me a job making stupid money. It was easy to say no. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/17/24 9:14 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Sounds really good. Cheers

calteg
calteg SuperDork
2/17/24 9:23 a.m.

My bosses' boss called me out of the blue. Did the corporate double-speak "apologize without actually apologizing" thing and asked me to come back. I said sure, for a 40% pay raise. 

He called my bluff and we talked about a new management role. He said I'd still have to go through the interview process. Final round was last week, walked into a panel interview and it was more of a firing squad. Found out yesterday I didn't get the job. WTF. I'm done with this company.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
2/17/24 9:28 a.m.

In reply to calteg :

That is some E36 M3 right there. I know it has to sting, but it's got to be the best motivation to move on. 

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
2/18/24 2:29 a.m.

The evil corporate empire continues to churn on, Jan-Mar is normally our slow point and it's about normal for that currently. I just precision park semi trailers for 3 nights a week. Can't find anything else that pays this well for that little of time input. It's been nice getting to golf often and be around for farm stuff. 

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X9J3T3JqXqSWDAgcAxP38QP5sa1XgusiECCXfIVVFwFEQrYchsPMRPcG1Sgn1SH4