1 2
carguy123
carguy123 Dork
5/14/09 12:04 p.m.

Now you know http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/17-05/st_whatsinside

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/14/09 12:16 p.m.

2 parts solvent and 1 part magic pixie dust.

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
5/14/09 6:54 p.m.

Fire and awesomeness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr7jbrbVvOU

ncjay
ncjay New Reader
5/14/09 7:18 p.m.

After many years of faithful WD 40 usage, lately it seems like Liquid Wrench works a little better. Still always have a can of WD40 around though. It's great for keeping rust off of unprotected steel.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/14/09 7:22 p.m.

Liquid Wrench is for loosening, WD40 is for drying out wet distributors :)

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
5/14/09 7:32 p.m.

Chuck Norris' sweat!

Shawn

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/14/09 8:57 p.m.

I like the smell of PB Blaster

Not that that should be a deciding factor when choosing a penetrating lube.

Yes, I said penetrating LOL

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
5/14/09 9:45 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: Not that that should be a deciding factor when choosing a penetrating lube. Yes, I said penetrating LOL

You also said lube directly after it...

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/14/09 10:00 p.m.

WD-40 is my all purpose go to. It does a decent job lubing, penetrating, protecting, etc., and I don't hate the smell or the residue. There are better penetrating oils (kroil is my favorite, though pb blaster is good too) but they are just so damn messy that I don't use them until WD40 has failed me.

WD40 is also my favorite cutting oil for aluminum. Doesn't work as well on steel.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
5/14/09 10:03 p.m.

I've had pretty good luck with "Moovit" as a penetrating oil.

Never tried Kroil or PB Blaster.

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
5/14/09 10:11 p.m.

I'm partial to CRC's products: Power Lube works a little better than WD40 in most cases, IMHO. CRC Freeze Off is teh shiznit for breaking rusty fasteners free.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
5/14/09 10:39 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I like the smell of PB Blaster Not that that should be a deciding factor when choosing a penetrating lube. Yes, I said penetrating LOL

Ash, did you ever smell that Finish Line degreaser from years ago? I think they've discontinued it. It smelled like Jolly Ranchers.

What about Kroil the oil that Kreeps? That stuff smells like the 1950s.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
5/14/09 10:56 p.m.
Keith wrote: Liquid Wrench is for loosening, WD40 is for drying out wet distributors :)

Seconded, by another Mazda owner. Every single one of the 5 323 hatches I've owned... hates a misty, rainy day.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/15/09 7:22 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: WD40 is also my favorite cutting oil for aluminum. Doesn't work as well on steel.
    1. I tried PB Blaster but it suxxours as a cutting oil, makes a freaky smelling smoke. Plain ol' motor oil works reasonably well as a cutting oil for steel.
Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/15/09 10:08 a.m.

Actually, you can use Liquid Wrench for drying a dizzy as well. I'd forgotten about it, but I had to do that once with a Land Rover.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/15/09 10:16 a.m.

Yesterday I did the front brakes on a 89 Cherokee. The rotors were rusted to the hubs. WD40 wouldn't budge the rotor for an hour. One shot of PB Blaster and the sucker nearly fell off.

If you need it loose, now, it's PB or nothing.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
5/15/09 10:27 a.m.

bananas ,,, also its peanut butter blaster

Carson
Carson HalfDork
5/15/09 10:28 a.m.

Has anyone ever tried the 50/50 Acetone/PSF mix?

http://sterkel.org/systems-engineering-associates.com/papers/avocations/Testing_Penetrating_Oils.pdf

Penetrating oil .............. Average load .. Price per fluid ounce

None ............................. 516 pounds ......$0.00

WD-40 .......................... 238 pounds ..... $0.25

PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds ..... $0.35

Liquid Wrench........... ... 127 pounds ..... $0.21

Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds ..... $0.75

PSF-Acetone 50/05 mix.. 53 pounds ..... $0.10

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/16/09 12:45 a.m.

PB blaster and Krunk are both in my arsenal.

Diesel fuel works in a pinch.

But my two favorites are: to heat the nut with a MAPP torch, then drop some oil on the threads and quench it with brake cleaner. You can actually watch the oil get sucked down in the threads. Or, heat up the whole thing until its slightly glowing and then melt a candle on the threads. The wax will get sucked in very effectively.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
5/16/09 1:26 a.m.

CRC Freeze-off > All

I like CLP as a lube, though I've been switching all my guns to an ATF and Marvel Mystery Oil mix.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/16/09 1:57 a.m.

Kroil is the E36 M3.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/16/09 8:28 a.m.

For water displacement I use Corrosion X. It is safe for all electronics. There is always a can of WD around. For general purpose use it's hard to beat. PB blaster stinks too much for me. I keep a can handy, but it is a last resort. I'm going to mix up a batch of acetone/ATF and try it.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
5/16/09 7:35 p.m.

If any of you folks ever need to know what exactly is in a chemical formula for some reason or another go to MSDS and they will tell you what is in it. If you are going to use a lot of some cleaner or something go to MSDS and see what's in it. I think they usually have the inert ingredients also.

Shaun
Shaun New Reader
5/16/09 7:51 p.m.

wd-40 attracts salmon. When i moved to Portland a few years ago I was surprised to see cans of the stuff all over the place at the local boat ramp. That has got to be worth something in evaluating a penetrating oil.

My personal fave is liquid wrench applied a couple times for a week or two before the work , but I don't fish for salmon.

http://forums.cabelas.com/showthread.php?t=43

redbonechkn
redbonechkn New Reader
5/17/09 12:33 a.m.

JB 80 works ten times better than WD 40

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q3BWzQcTicFBU9cnmPMWq9v7wp8DrUhphTnBDzi32rdj6YOQBZsf6H2OVpBucSC7