1 2 3
GI_Drewsifer
GI_Drewsifer Reader
3/27/10 12:52 a.m.

Anybody watch this show? I think it's pretty cool. It also makes me lust for cars I shouldn't buy. However the episode about the 944 Turbo has made me wet myself several times.

Wheeler Dealer 944 Turbo

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
3/27/10 12:59 a.m.

Mike (I think that's his name) doesn't seem to know the really technical stuff, but he never makes it out to look like he does. Ed China handles that. Although I had to laugh when he once said the C4 Corvette had screwy electronics (different show, I think) All in all a great show

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/27/10 7:07 a.m.

I really like that show. I have the 3 series episode on my DVR right now.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/27/10 7:11 a.m.

yea, that is a great show. We have an engaging front man (Mike) and a competant technical guy (ed) and cool cars... all done on a grassroots budget.. what is not to like?

I see the only difference between them doing it and us... ours would end with a track day and a statement how our 3000 dollar car just beat X number of higher priced cars that day

Josh
Josh Dork
3/27/10 8:02 a.m.
JeepinMatt wrote: Although I had to laugh when he once said the C4 Corvette had screwy electronics

The funniest part in the C4 episode was when he said Americans can't make a car that handles well because it went sideways when he hit the gas in the middle of a roundabout. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to do that :).

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
3/27/10 8:07 a.m.

I would say that Wheeler Dealers is my favorite television show, and just about the only thing that I will regularly record for later viewing. However, sometimes I'm just left scratching my head.

Example: the episodes about the Suzuki, where they replaced the motor, installed off-road suspension, welded a roll bar and painted the whole vehicle. In the end, we were told that there was way too much rust to pass MOT. They sold it at a big loss. Even if Mike is a blithering idiot (and I don't think he is), shouldn't Edd be able to assess the rust before investing all that time and money?

Example: a full, glass out professional respray of the Mini, and then re-install crappy, pitted trim bits?

I really do enjoy the show and I occasionally even learn something from Edd. I guess I just have to remember that it is a television show, not reality. It just frustrates me to see him spend so much effort on one part of the car and leave another part in such 'dodgy' shape.

egnorant
egnorant Dork
3/27/10 8:53 a.m.

It always caused me to cringe when I see them put rusty lug nuts back on refurb wheels!

While they may miss some items on one car they do seem to cover them on other shows.

Bruce

speedblind
speedblind Reader
3/27/10 11:41 a.m.

Like that show. Good overall format and idea. I'd be more interested to see a GRM-themed show, though. Building cars for 2k and then counting the more expensive cars you pass on track.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/27/10 11:56 a.m.
bludroptop wrote: Example: a full, glass out professional respray of the Mini, and then re-install crappy, pitted trim bits?

That doesn't surprise me at all, given the 'enthusiast owned' or 'restored' cars I've encountered here in the UK.

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
3/27/10 5:46 p.m.

Yeah, the Suzuki not passing MOT seemed off to me as well...

We also got quite a chuckle out of the Corvette's "dodgy electrics" ...after I spent the better part of a winter "de-Lucas-ing" a Spitfire as much as possible.

The E30 Touring had me seriously drooling... when those fall under the 25 year rule, I may be making a trip to Europe.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/27/10 9:00 p.m.

I like the show, mostly because they did an AW11 MR2 once. So nice to see people talking about my car with respect, instead of "why would you want that rusty POS?"

GI_Drewsifer
GI_Drewsifer Reader
3/28/10 12:01 a.m.

Sometimes the show does have me going "huh?". But for the most part it goes just deep enough to please real enthusiasts, but not so deep that casual car people don't like it. Wish I could watch it on TV instead of the internet...

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
3/28/10 9:05 a.m.

I enjoy it too. Also check out wreck rescue, just saw it on HDT. It's another british show, about restoring junkyard wrecks on a short budget. Different host, but a fun show none the less.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/28/10 9:15 a.m.

+1 for wreck rescue! kinda like a reality show on home brewed restos...saw one recently where a Ford Capri went to a rally...bloody brilliant

shadetree30
shadetree30 New Reader
3/28/10 10:02 a.m.
GI_Drewsifer wrote: Anybody watch this show? I think it's pretty cool. It also makes me lust for cars I shouldn't buy.

Unfortunately it also makes us lust for cars we CAN'T buy.

I did like his 924 bit, they are a bit more appreciated over there then they are here...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/28/10 10:16 a.m.

wheeler dealer cosworth Benz episode was a real treat!

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/28/10 11:37 a.m.

I like it.

It cracks me up when Ed China calls WD-40 "penetrating fluid"

gamby
gamby SuperDork
3/28/10 1:19 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: I like it. It cracks me up when Ed China calls WD-40 "penetrating fluid"

fiddly bits

wrong side of the hedge

cracking

mop and t-cut

bush

knackered

Anyway--they need new episodes. I need to see them flip an EG6 Civic.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
3/28/10 1:48 p.m.

He seems pretty fond of that 'magical fluid' that converts rust into something else. I watched the MR-2 episode last night on Youtube; the car looked pretty good on screen when he was done, but I wondered about how well the rust repair around the wheelwell (with aerosol paint covering it up) looked up close in person.

fifty
fifty Reader
3/28/10 1:52 p.m.

that was great! thanks for sharing.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
3/28/10 11:41 p.m.

I didn't even notice that the link in the OP was a new episode.

I hope this gets to HD theater soon. I'd much rather watch it in HD on my TV.

...must resist temptation to watch here...

Luke
Luke SuperDork
3/29/10 12:12 a.m.

Most of their "restorations" seem to turn out slightly dodgy, but I think that's part of the show's appeal.

Low-ball seller, bag cool, old car for cheap; tart it up for sale at minimal cost; sell for small profit; bask in satisfaction of keeping cool, old car on the road until next MOT time.

Clay
Clay Reader
3/29/10 8:14 a.m.

After Per (I think it was Per) mentioned it was one of his favorite shows to DVR, I set my DVR to get ALL episodes (since they were mostly repeats). Well one Saturday they had a 24 hour marathon of Wheeler Dealer (in HD) and my DVR filled right up to 100% and started deleting other stuff. I caught it before it got everything. Needless to say, my wife was glad when I finally got through them all. Great show!

TucoRamirez
TucoRamirez New Reader
3/29/10 7:40 p.m.

I get a kick out of how hard Mike is on the spotty youfs when he buys a car from them. They do some ghetto resto (the C4 especially) & make some questionable expenditures. I cringe when they replace only 1 axle's shocks or bushings. Funniest word I heard was decal.

CJ318
CJ318 None
3/29/10 7:41 p.m.

great show but my DVR is full of WRC, can't record this too!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AVC6U2XcYksuiiCfvnLmLz1M2CSmxAyGuZYH9gkrollmu3BmK92bq50HpslYq5vt