1 ... 4 5 6
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/26/24 2:36 p.m.

Update: Our 20+ year-old Honda is still working just fine.

It got a new air filter element Saturday. :) 

HotNotch
HotNotch Reader
8/26/24 2:55 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I went the other way

I bought an old school 2 stroke Lawnboy with 6.5 hp Duratec

Smells and sounds like an outboard!

bbbbRASS
bbbbRASS Reader
8/26/24 5:06 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

It should go without saying you know far more about these than me, but my experience in the salvage lithium world is the Ryobi 40V packs really took a nosedive during the pandemic supply issues. The cells actually seem fine to me, but the BMS is not longer able to be reset. I do find the Ego battery packs easy to fix and salvage. Both have good warranties,  but Ryobi will just send you new ones when you call vs Ego needing you to register and upload a receipt. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UberDork
8/26/24 10:58 p.m.

In reply to bbbbRASS :

My Ryobi battery pack wouldn't charge past 50% after a few months and a quick phone call to CS got me a new battery under warranty.

bbbbRASS
bbbbRASS Reader
8/26/24 11:12 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

For sure. If it's a serial number within 3 years, they just send you a new pack straight away. 

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
8/27/24 9:31 a.m.

I finally got rid of my gas powered mower and picked up a Ryobi 40V push mower. I already had some other Ryobi lawn tools so it was an easy transition into the ecosystem, no regrets so far. 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/24 6:19 p.m.

Ryobi self propelled brushless motor 40v with two batteries and charger arrived today. Charging batteries as I type. Rain tomorrow. Will have to wait for review.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/6/24 10:46 p.m.
Duke said:

Currently favoring the EGO LM 2125SP which for $649 comes with a 550 watt charger and a 7.5 Ah battery.

Bought this mower last weekend from Lowes, on sale for $599.

I cut the grass with it once and so far it's done a fine job.  It was overdue and fairly heavy in parts, but the mower did well.  Used approximately 70% of the battery to cut the whole yard.

This mower is lighter and easier to push in freewheel mode than my old gas Husqy, so I don't have to use the self-propel feature most of the time.  I'm sure that helped with battery life.  It is mostly heavy plastic, but I like that the hull is double-walled.  It feels fairly rugged.

Bagging seemed pretty efficient.  I like that the side discharge actually comes out the back and gets diverted, if you use it.  That makes both sides smooth for closer edging, and gives fewer places for errant grass to get stuck.

Only mowed with it once, but so far very pleased with the switch.  Thanks for the advice!

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/11/24 8:00 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I have the same EGO mower.  1.5 hour of battery life.  I'm DONE mowing after 1.5 hours!  Haha

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OfHMRlVAaHsYAd5Qq9DgjZ9BUeJ1zOuJnuP2Wy0rko1xQyYEWFWfkpIJQ9kvhbUP