1 2 3
Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
3/12/13 1:53 p.m.
scardeal wrote: How does an S2000 compare to an RX-8?

Well, one generally has compression after 40,000 miles, and the other one doesn't.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
3/12/13 2:00 p.m.

Who said the digital dash was a negative? I thing that's one of the coolest dashes in a long time, the mini version on my rc51 makes me think I need an s2k parked next to it just to complete the cool digital dash collection

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
3/12/13 2:33 p.m.

I thought the digital cluster would be weird, but it took all of 5 minutes to get used to it. It's very clear and easy to see even when it's very bright outside. Plus the red part of the tach line flashes at you just before the rev limiter. Like a built in shift light.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/13 2:45 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Personally, I don't find the S2K as entertaining as a street car. Quick on the track, though.
What is lacking for street entertainment on the S2000? To me, roadster = fun for cruising. Doubly so when it does so reliably and affordably.

Then a Sebring is perfect

My opinion - and this is an opinion, not a statement of unassailable fact - is that the S2000 feels bigger. You sit in it. The nature of the engine is also such that you need to wind the nuts off it in order to take full advantage. You basically can't use any more than third gear on the street. Fun if it's one of those rare times when you're blasting up a canyon with good sight lines, but a bit of a letdown otherwise.

The Miata is more playful, I guess that's what it comes down to. You can enjoy it on the street without going warp factor 9.

I feel the same way about the FD RX7. Fast, not quick.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
3/12/13 3:01 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Performance-wise they're actually very close, but the S2k is a little better all-around. Not performance-wise they're very different...4 seats vs 2, 4 doors vs. 2, 200-400lbs weight difference depending on model, reliable & fairly economical engine vs. rotary

no joke on the economical engine. I think if I tried hypermiling my '87 E-150 I could get the same mileage as my RX-8... Also I've never driven an S2000, but my mom and brother have and they compare the engine as being very harsh at high rpm compared to my rotary. My mom has also driven a non-R3 RX8 and says the S2000 is between the 2 RX-8's in ride quality. My brother (who is 6'4") also mentioned his arm hitting the seat on the S2000 while shifting, while it doesn't in his NC miata. He probably isn't the one to ask about headroom, though. They are all cramped to him and he leaves the top permanently down on his miata.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
3/12/13 3:25 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Then a Sebring is perfect

I said "Reliably and affordably". Having had a Cirrus for a while, I imagine a Sebring will be much the same with added complexity to get screwed up.

Doesn't meet my litmus test for roadster either:

2 seater (maybe 2+2)
Designed to be a convertible, not starting life as a sedan/coupe with the top chopped off
Should be RWD, or have some certain "Gee Whiz" going on, like being Itallian or a Lotus.

My opinion - and this is an opinion, not a statement of unassailable fact - is that the S2000 feels bigger. You sit in it. The nature of the engine is also such that you need to wind the nuts off it in order to take full advantage. You basically can't use any more than third gear on the street. Fun if it's one of those rare times when you're blasting up a canyon with good sight lines, but a bit of a letdown otherwise.

But for those of us who want the closest thing to a Miata but being just bigger enough for at least some nod to practicality...?

For the record, I'm planning to sell and replace my Miata soon with something fun but more comfortable and practical (e.g. trunk space for 2 people to go on vacation for a week). S2000 is on the radar along with M Coupe or E36 M3.

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
3/12/13 3:36 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote:
Well, one generally has compression after 40,000 miles, and the other one doesn't.

LMAO!

In reply to Beer Baron:

If resale value concerns you, buy an Mcoupe.....just as much fun, but falls inbetween the s2k and rx8 in terms of maintence costs(this is of course figuring an engine for the rx8)

mtn
mtn PowerDork
Beer Baron wrote: For the record, I'm planning to sell and replace my Miata soon with something fun but more comfortable and practical (e.g. trunk space for 2 people to go on vacation for a week). S2000 is on the radar along with M Coupe or E36 M3.

Miata is my daily driver, and I kinda have the same issue as you. My ideal solution would be an M or Z3 coupe, but I think that the short-term solution will be a harbor freight trailer with a car-top carrier

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork

I find the S2000 interior to be well... more accommodating to tall people, but not necessarily more spacious feeling. You're sitting in a coffin. I get mildly claustrophobic in them.

Purely in terms of cabin space, i'd rather spend a long distance trip in a Miata.

However, everything else adds up quick. I'd rather have the trunk space of the S2000. The quiet-ness and solid-feeling of the S2000. The stereo of the S2000. The ergonomics of the S2000.

bikerbenz
bikerbenz New Reader
3/12/13 3:54 p.m.
ahutson03 wrote: Who said the digital dash was a negative? I thing that's one of the coolest dashes in a long time, the mini version on my rc51 makes me think I need an s2k parked next to it just to complete the cool digital dash collection

I've got that happening in my garage

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
3/12/13 4:28 p.m.

C'mon! Think of all the junk you could fit in that trunk!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
3/12/13 4:35 p.m.
mtn wrote: Miata is my daily driver, and I kinda have the same issue as you. My ideal solution would be an M or Z3 coupe, but I think that the short-term solution will be a harbor freight trailer with a car-top carrier

That is where I am leaning. I had one before and it was... darn near the perfect car for my needs (only sold to fun Spec racing). Not to mention it looks unique and excites me. Just seeing a Z/M-Coupe gets me going in a way that the S2000 and M3 can't.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/12/13 5:44 p.m.

I didn't mind the dark interior on the S2000s I drove, the Miata feels a little more claustrophobic to me than the S2000 but neither is suffering from an overabundance of interior space.

Mmadness
Mmadness New Reader
3/12/13 5:44 p.m.

Definitely the S2000. That car had a combination of traits unlike anything else ever sold: 9,000rpm redline (2001-03), manual gearbox, top down, sports car seating position and best of all, almost no torque. Running through the gears in an S2000 with the top down is unlike anything else and you don't have to be doing go directly to jail speed to enjoy it.

The S2000 is basically a more powerful RX8 with a roadster like seating position. The S2000 is small (but not any more than the Miata) but I know someone who was 6'5", 250lbs. who owned one. That being said, I couldn't see the S2000 as an only car (not enough cargo space) and it is difficult to get into when the top is up.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
3/12/13 7:13 p.m.

I will say that hardtops are WAY more money for an S2000 compared to a Miata, if that's a factor for you...

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/12/13 7:25 p.m.

I bought mine new in January of 2006 and had a lot of fun with it. I took it to autocrosses, HPDEs, the tail of the dragon ... and I even drove it from south Florida to California and back.

Unfortunately, as much as I liked it, my problem was that I could not park it without being paranoid of someone stealing my seats. It happened once in 2007 and it was enough to scare me for the rest of my ownership.

Its currently seating in the garage and I have not driven it in the last two years but maybe twice. I have three kids, so its also a problem.

But as a fun car, I have driven few that were so reliable/well built/and rewarding.

J

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/12/13 9:47 p.m.

A guy here in Gainesville took both! S2000 driveline in a miata, calls it a MX2000. Haven't driven it or seen it in person, but after talking a stealership into a "test drive" a week ago... yeah I can see that being one hell of a combination. For what its worth, I don't fit so well into a S2K, my shoulder competes for the same.space as the top of.the door.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
3/13/13 7:27 a.m.

Another reason I was sold on the s2000.........

Best shifter and transmission feel on the planet.

It's seriously good. Now anytime I drive something manual it feels like crap in comparison.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
3/13/13 8:08 a.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the gearbox in the S2000 is the same Aisin unit found in the Miata?

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
3/13/13 8:14 a.m.

I think for me the answer would be S2000 if I had a cheaper, reliable DD, and a bit more to spend to on a toy.

I could probably swing it, but if I mentioned ditching the special ordered Mustang, I'm pretty sure the wife would have me sleeping in it.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
3/13/13 8:20 a.m.
nderwater wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the gearbox in the S2000 is the same Aisin unit found in the Miata?

S2000 is a 6 speed, and the 6 speed NB's suck. So I would guess no, or else they are the same in the sense that the V8 in a Silverado is the same as the V8 in the ZR1.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
3/13/13 8:30 a.m.

I've not seen the 2 side by side, but based on feel I will say no. Worlds apart in that sense.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/13/13 8:58 a.m.
nderwater wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the gearbox in the S2000 is the same Aisin unit found in the Miata?

They're both labeled as Aisin AZ6s, but when dealing with Aisin, that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
3/13/13 12:55 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: They're both labeled as Aisin AZ6s, but when dealing with Aisin, that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Looks like you're right - I just found an older thread with photos of several AZ6 units side by side. The S2000 box is on top:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/aisin-az6-transmission-overhaul/53300/page1/

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/13/13 12:59 p.m.

There's several ways to make the Miata AZ6 feel better as well. Will it ever reach S2000 status? Doubful.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B8vHoKuvV8b4TXPb2QLQP24w3PaLob7pMrLtnvrSPkQgdTMdfCcNCm7eBi87KSZZ