1 ... 7 8 9
TravisTheHuman
TravisTheHuman MegaDork
9/25/24 1:47 p.m.
Duke said:
TravisTheHuman said:
CrustyRedXpress said:

Oh, and [without a degree] you're less likely to get married as well! And the problem is getting worse.

Is this supposed to be selling me on a Bachelor's degree?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I genuinely like my wife and hope to spend as many years married to her as I can.

I was was half joking...

Years married indicates what?  how long they are living?  happiness?  health?  If thats the goal, show me data that shows a bachelors degree results in those outcomes, because marriage does not indicate that.

(I'm divorced with a BS engineering)

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/24 2:24 p.m.
TravisTheHuman said:
Duke said:
TravisTheHuman said:
CrustyRedXpress said:

Oh, and [without a degree] you're less likely to get married as well! And the problem is getting worse.

Is this supposed to be selling me on a Bachelor's degree?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I genuinely like my wife and hope to spend as many years married to her as I can.

I was was half joking...

Years married indicates what?  how long they are living?  happiness?  health?  If thats the goal, show me data that shows a bachelors degree results in those outcomes, because marriage does not indicate that.

(I'm divorced with a BS engineering)

I have a GED and have been married for 38 years. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
9/25/24 3:40 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I have a grade 9 education and we've been married the same time, living together over 40 yrs.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/25/24 3:40 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

Correlation vs causation. The data here suggests the type of person more likely to die young or not get married overlaps with the type of person who didn't go to college. It does NOT mean that if you just go to college, everything in life will be hunky-dory. 

This. College dropout. Married 22 years. Make more than many of my college friends that got degrees and I'll be retiring(hopefully) a lot sooner as well without that $100+k of debt they accrued. 

Also funny that my B-I-L is now twice divorced and making about 60% of what I make and he has his masters. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/25/24 3:42 p.m.
Peabody said:

In reply to Toyman! :

I have a grade 9 education and we've been married the same time, living together over 40 yrs.

I mean look at the chart. You're OBVIOUSLY doing it wrong. Us dummies are supposed to be unhappy, dead and divorced and the smart ones are living la vida loca or something. 

/sarcasm

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
9/25/24 3:52 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I didn't say I was happy about it

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/26/24 7:34 a.m.
Peabody said:

In reply to bobzilla :

I didn't say I was happy about it

laugh I have been this far. I hope we get another 20 years. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy SuperDork
9/26/24 4:20 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

We're struggling to replace workers at our place for a number of reasons even though the pay and benefits are pretty good.  People now seem happy to trade money for flexible schedules and time off that we can't give. I was talking to a trainee bus operator a few weeks ago, and hustling 3 days a week with doordash was paying him what we are in five. If I was starting over it would be tough to get me to give up steady 4 day weekends to push a 60 ft bus through city traffic five nights a week, and likely miss most holidays and family events for the first 7-8 years.  People's priorities aren't what they once were for better or worse. 

I missed this the first time around, I agree that this is a big part of the issue. New workers today have more options than they did in the past. If you wanted a job, you had to work what that job required- it was pretty much all or nothing, so that's what people did. Now with gig work, young people have the option of a flexible schedule that they don't often have with a traditional job. I can certainly see the appeal. It used to be that when you were young and inexperienced, you worked when they said to work.  As you got older, you accrued more vacation time and got more choice with your work schedule. There are some advantages to enjoying some of that flexibility earlier in life. However, I'm afraid that there is no such thing as a free lunch, and there are a lot of trade offs that most young people don't consider. Sure you can hustle at Door Dash or Uber and make more money now than punching a clock. But year 5 at those jobs aren't any different than year 1, you are no farther up the ladder, where in a traditional job most would have advanced. I think many fail to realize the opportunity cost with gig work, and in 20-30 years we are going to have a bunch of people that have fallen behind. Now, if the gig work is in place of a traditional job because the flexibility facilitates furthering their education and developing marketable skills, then I think it's a terrific idea. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/26/24 6:26 p.m.

Gonna go recruit at some tech schools next month. The younger ones are there. I've hired 50 people this year. Probably 60% greater than 30. 40% less. 

tough hands on travel job. But good benefits.  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/24 7:04 p.m.

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

A lot of those things aren't necessarily the perks they used to be. I mistakenly went from hourly to management. Because I'm no longer overtime eligible I take home less than I would have, and lack the flexibility in taking time off and choosing a schedule and location that I used to have. The further up you go here the worse it gets. The head of my office frequently comes in 6-7 days a week at least for a few hours, is on call 24/7, even on vacations, and can be transferred anywhere in the system without notice.  As far as quality of life goes I would have come out ahead remaining a driver.  There's really no incentive for promotion here anymore.  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/24 7:07 p.m.

I hit post too soon. I stayed here because I needed the health insurance for my wife, and hustling a number of side jobs wasn't really a possibility. I missed a lot of things as a trade off, and if I knew then what I do now likely would have figured out how to make money elsewhere in exchange for some sort of personal life. 

1 ... 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zppbX2G43sReQP5WTvcyZ0PUxsb3aavBRpWXDFIs7UWABBqhgE3NlYdHe9WhNvx7