1 2 3 4 5
Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
4/1/10 7:47 p.m.
Will wrote: Just for reference, here's my home defense AR. The bipod is for this pic only, no need for one otherwise.

It's beautiful...I love it. I want one just like it, but with a full stock and long range sights. .223 aspirin from 500 yards? Yes please.

I'm not sure I can see the use for an AR as a home defense tool, though. Who are you defending against? Ze Germans?

Back on topic- I was struggling with the same choice recently (.40 vs. .45 vs. 9mm) and decided that a .45 frame was a little bigger than I wanted. I love the .40 round, but the cheaper, more plentiful 9mm just makes more sense for my needs. Double tap as needed.

Expressed mathematically, (2 x 9mm) > .40...

JohnGalt
JohnGalt Reader
4/1/10 8:13 p.m.

If you want big and simple

GP100 Last longer, cost less, and will shoot just as good as the $300 dollar more Smith. (better action too)

Smaller but still simple

SP101

Full size Auto CZ SP01 (top) Slightly Smaller lighter CZ P01 (bottom)

REALLY small, very light, and very slim Kahr PM9 or CW9

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
4/1/10 9:28 p.m.

Well, most of my "home defense" or "carry" weapons have been discussed. In my experience, which of those weapons to use is sort of like the decision to wear shoes, pants or shirts every day. It just depends on many factors.
Thus my armory at home includes the Ruger LCP .380, Walther PPK 7.62, S&W .38 Chief's Special, Springfield XD-40, Makarov .380, and Glock(full size).357 Sig plus Mossberg 12 ga(with special modifications)under the bed and SKS model D 7.62 above the closet door. In discussing home defense with my wife, she always favored the Chief's Special due to comfort level but I have always stressed the Mossberg. Finally a local law enforcement type gave a home security talk to her womans club and also recommended the shotgun. FINALLY she believed me!
My firearms training includes several personal carry classes, local law enforcement stress course, computer simulation course and FLETC sims course. You cant get enough training as far as I am concerned. Shooting has to become second nature.
My preference for carry weapon is a smallish auto but I tend to carry in my computer bag rather than on my person. I am also a small male so full frame models just dont fit my clothing. A woman has the advantage of a purse.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
4/1/10 9:53 p.m.

And the fact that you've got "Replica" written down the side of your guns... And the fact that I've got "Desert Eagle point five O"...

alex
alex Dork
4/2/10 12:45 a.m.

I have medium-to-large sized hands, and I have a hell of a time with guns the size of Glock 26 (very short and stout) and the Kahr PM9 (very short and slim). I would say that if either were somebody's primary weapon, they would do best to train almost exclusively with that gun, because of their idiosyncrasies. (I'd say the same thing to a would-be 1911 carrier, too.)

stroker
stroker Reader
4/2/10 12:48 a.m.

I'm not a Glock owner but I thought they made a single stack compact 9mm Luger. Don't know the model.

If she wants a semi I'd suggest looking really hard for a S&W 908 or similar. 9 rounds of 9mm in a very slim, light and compact package. Otherwise, get a 2" S&W K-frame rated for 38 Spl +P.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/2/10 1:05 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: /end discussion

pinchy has a point... if you turret mount this thing in plain sight and still have a problem - you have some serious motherberkeleyers looking for a fight and you are probably in over your head. Everyone else went next door.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
4/2/10 3:04 a.m.

What we fail to realize is that's only part of the gun system. What you don't see is the big ass batteries and the thousands of rounds that make it worth it. I wouldn't want to lug that around unless I was a Terminator.

RossD
RossD Dork
4/2/10 7:22 a.m.

There are very few people who will remain un-invited in your house after hearing a pump shotgun cycle a round. Very few.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/2/10 7:41 a.m.

My preference is not to allow the bad guys to get too close to the house, so I keep them at least 1000 yards out with the Barrett M82A1.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
4/2/10 7:50 a.m.

I wonder about these guns with high capacity magazines. I would assume most times a gun is used after the first shot or two either the BG is dead, scared off, or shot you back. I can't imagine having another 15 shots would make a difference. I could be wrong, though.

Joey

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
4/2/10 9:06 a.m.
joey48442 wrote: I wonder about these guns with high capacity magazines. I would assume most times a gun is used after the first shot or two either the BG is dead, scared off, or shot you back. I can't imagine having another 15 shots would make a difference. I could be wrong, though. Joey

That depends on the quantity of BGs present. Better to have 3 rounds extra than one round too few.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
4/2/10 9:33 a.m.

As a non-American living in a country where gun ownership is far less commonplace; I'm curious to know, those of you who keep guns around for personal/home protection, have you ever had to use them? And, what are the legal ramifications of killing (or maiming) a home intruder?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
4/2/10 9:45 a.m.

Well, Luke, lemme first ask you a question: Would you rather be judged by 12 or carried by 6?

And next, most guns used for protection never have to be fired. Merely letting the bad person know you are armed and they will lose is almost always enough to encourage them to go somewhere else. I had to let someone know I was armed and they decided to move on. That was using my gun for self defense.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
4/2/10 9:56 a.m.

In Florida, if you feel threatened and are on your property (not just inside) you have the right to use deadly force to defend yourself. The Castle Doctrine. I believe this doctrine is common around the country. SoFla has a very high percentage of concealed carry permits, and a whole lot of home guns. Yes, they get stolen in burglaries. But it has become rather dangerous to break into an occupied home. Most of the former British colonies have very restrictive gun laws. Check the murder rates in Trinidad and Jamaica to see how many people are robbed, kidnapped, and killed, when possession of a weapon would have prevented it. Bad guys armed to the teeth, good guys helpless. A good friend of mine had an attempted kidnapping in Trinidad. Having a legal carry permit (EXTREMELY difficult to get) saved his ass. He shot one of the bad guys with a Glock .45, but was subsequently arrested for attempted murder!! Got out of that, but still, more than scary. He still carrys, of course.

alex
alex Dork
4/2/10 10:19 a.m.

Luke, most states have some version of the Castle Doctrine in place, but it varies from state to state. Some states have a 'duty to retreat,' for instance.

It's safe to assume, though, that if you draw or fire your weapon, even in legally justified self defense, you will face criminal and/or civil action. In either case, if your actions were indeed justified, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. But that's just another thing that has to be in the back of your mind as you prepare to draw: is it the only resolution left?

For a variety of reasons, I'm of the mind that if I'm prepared to draw my firearm, I'm prepared to shoot. Never before. And that's not a consideration I take lightly. And that's why I almost never carry: I'm not sure that I'm 100% ready.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/2/10 1:18 p.m.
Luke wrote: As a non-American living in a country where gun ownership is far less commonplace; I'm curious to know, those of you who keep guns around for personal/home protection, have you ever had to use them?

a very very very small percentage.. I can't even begin to think how low it is..

every once in a great while you'll hear about someone using one in a good way.. Most of the time it's some tragic crap like columbine.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
4/2/10 1:40 p.m.
ignorant wrote: every once in a great while you'll hear about someone using one in a good way.. Most of the time it's some tragic crap like columbine.

Only if you don't pay attention - or only pay attention to the "if it bleeds, it leads" news shows.

My family uses firearms 24/7/365. The use may be hunting, competing, practicing, plinking, entertaining, teaching, or just sitting there like a fire extinguisher, waiting ...

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
4/2/10 2:02 p.m.

Don't own a handgun at the moment but that may change. My dad carried a 9mm with him daily; he had to show it twice. Neither instance made the papers.

A good friend had to show a weapon in the Citadel Mall parking lot when he and his family were threatened by some guys obviously bent on, at the very least, armed robbery. Never made the papers. A couple of weeks later, an old lady had her purse snatched in the same parking lot by a bunch of hoods in a car. She wasn't so lucky; the strap on her purse was pretty strong and she fractured her skull. I beleve she died of her injuries.

Legally owned firearms prevent far more situations from spiraling out of control than they ever cause.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
4/2/10 2:05 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote:
joey48442 wrote: I wonder about these guns with high capacity magazines. I would assume most times a gun is used after the first shot or two either the BG is dead, scared off, or shot you back. I can't imagine having another 15 shots would make a difference. I could be wrong, though. Joey
That depends on the quantity of BGs present. Better to have 3 rounds extra than one round too few.

True. Sometimes I wonder though... 7 shots in a .32 is better than nothing.

Also, I don't like the whole "I wouldn't want to be shot with it" arguement in regards to caliber. I don't wanna be shot with a bb gun. I think carrying anything is better than nothing. Talking to people that have had a gun pulled on them, said a .25 looks like a sewer pipe when it's pointed at your face.

Joey

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
4/2/10 2:20 p.m.

I have had to prosecute someone for shooting an intruder but it was clear that the dead guy was shot 2x in the back. Tn law allows one to protect yourself, others and your property from a dangerous threat. You really shouldnt use more force than necessary and be prepared to show that you attempted to withdraw from the danger and if the perp attempts to withdraw, you have to let him do so. Independent witnesses are good. I am quite frankly more concerned about the aggreived party in litigation who blames the lawyer for his condition. Most home invasions in this area involve people who are known as collectors of some sort or drug deals gone bad. So far owning a fleet of old cars hasnt attracted the bad guys..
I always enjoy reading about the shoot-out where multiple rounds are fired and no one is hit.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
4/2/10 2:28 p.m.

My friend, who was President's 100 TWICE and taught LEO's, said that in a gun fight, the safest place to stand is in front of what the police officer is shooting at.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/2/10 2:44 p.m.
alex wrote: For a variety of reasons, I'm of the mind that if I'm prepared to draw my firearm, I'm prepared to shoot. Never before. And that's not a consideration I take lightly. And that's why I almost never carry: I'm not sure that I'm 100% ready.

Quoted for truth.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
4/2/10 2:53 p.m.

Interesting thread. I'm a bit of a gun enthusiast. Buying a new gun or buying some old car are usually vying for my attention at any given time. PBS has been seeking stories related to guns for self-defense for a while. Here is a link to the results so far, definitely worth reading:

http://www.gunstories.org/gunstories/home

The NRA also publishes true and successful stories of armed self defense in their member publications.

I don't carry, but that may change in the future. I have been thinking of one of these for when the time comes, but I'm not sure about a .380; (I don't know how to hotlink, its a Walther PK380).

http://forum.gon.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=435645&stc=1&d=1261361898

Anyway, interesting thread.

MrMook
MrMook New Reader
4/2/10 6:52 p.m.

I don't want to get into a debate here, because this isn't the purpose of this thread, but I still don't see the need (for me, personally) to own a gun. And I live in Brooklyn.

That said, my girlfriend and I are planning on taking a few gun safety courses, and heading to a local shooting range this summer. The reason for this is the same reason I think everybody should learn how to drive a stick-shift, and operate a motorcycle. And that reason is: just in case. (I still have to learn the bike bit..I've only ridden a "pit bike" one time, but loved it).

I'll probably never own a firearm, but if there is ever a situation when I need to use one, I don't want to be the guy that fumbles around and shoots himself.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iPmDVzkv4NaVrvCRKYPUuzQJR8it2rYCmXmAMOhZzHGwHmdzBLr1nybI5QmmEghd