1 2
tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
4/15/13 9:39 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: I have an old traxxas sledgehammer. Yeah. I'm old school.

Had one of these - dual dampers on each corner - cool truck.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
4/15/13 10:16 a.m.
Strizzo wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: Never liked anything Traxxas made. Matter of fact still don't. Can't stand the posermobiles of Tamiya mindset.
they're popular with the "basher" crowd, that probably aren't going to race, just run around in the back yard or up and down the neighborhood street. I used to race trucks on an indoor carpet and road course track (indoor soccer facility with boards laid out for the track), and the super serious guys would run losi on the oval and traxxas on the road course weeks becausethey were so durable. i also ran mid pack with a tamiya TLO-1 back in the day against the carbon chassis belt drive HPI and Losi touring cars. also, unless things have changed, the stampede is 2wd only, might try to find a used e-maxx for similar dollars.

I'm pretty much just going to be bashing in the back yard. I won't have many chances to run a car up to 30+ MPH, so I'd rather have something I can bash around in the different terrains I have in the yard. I've got a gully that I like to run my Radio Shack 4x4 through in low gear for the challenge. I like that I can convert the Wheely King to a rock crawler with an existing kit.

I'm selling some stuff to get the money for the R/C truck. My wife thought the $200 price tag was a little steep for a toy, so I figure if I can offset the cost by ditching some unwanted stuff that will make it easier to get.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/15/13 10:35 a.m.

I tried an Electrix Ruckus truck last year, supposedly indestructible. Whatever. It had problem after problem, and soured me on RC cars/trucks. I REALLY want something to bash around the backyard while the fiancee is gardening.

Recommend??

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
4/15/13 10:43 a.m.

I have a stampede. Don't run it much but it is a wheelie machine with an 8 cell pack.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
4/15/13 10:45 a.m.
Jerry wrote: I tried an Electrix Ruckus truck last year, supposedly indestructible. Whatever. It had problem after problem, and soured me on RC cars/trucks. I REALLY want something to bash around the backyard while the fiancee is gardening. Recommend??

Traxxas Slash, Traxxas e-maxx. Those are my two favorite bashers.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
4/18/13 12:56 p.m.

Welp, I just order a Wheely King from Tower Hobbies. Total was $195 shipped. I sold some junk to recoup $100 so I'm in at $95 for the truck. Booyah! It should be here next week, I'll post pictures of it terrorizing squirrels in the back yard.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/18/13 1:10 p.m.

In reply to slefain:

I see it at $219.99, what's your secret??

slefain
slefain UltraDork
4/18/13 1:41 p.m.
Jerry wrote: In reply to slefain: I see it at $219.99, what's your secret??

Coupon codes:

$25 off and free shipping.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry HalfDork
4/18/13 6:27 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: I have a stampede. Don't run it much but it is a wheelie machine with an 8 cell pack.

I had a Stampede and a Rustler. the Stampede spent more time on its roof than it's wheels, but it was a fun truck. the Rustler was a decent truck as well. I used to hang out with a guy that cast his own control arms for those trucks. We had some pretty bitchin' aluminum pieces for those trucks.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
4/24/13 12:31 p.m.

Unboxed it at lunch today, have to wait til tonight for a first run.

This thing is insane. It has proper steering linkage. The front and rear suspesion are both 3-link setups. It has ring & pinion solid axles. It has a transfer case and proper driveshafts. Just insane. I could care less how fast it is, it looks RIGHT.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
5/1/13 3:39 p.m.

In reply to slefain:

Test report??

slefain
slefain UltraDork
5/1/13 3:46 p.m.
Jerry wrote: In reply to slefain: Test report??

Frick'n AWESOME! Sure it isn't the fastest thing on earth, but it sure moves. Handling isn't that bad, and pretty much just as I'd expect for a solid axle, tall monster truck. It handles terrain surprisingly well. I brought it with me to Mitty and was crawling the areas around the Esses. The include battery pack runs a good 20 minutes, with my old NiCD packs running about 12 minutes or so. I'm quite happy with the truck. It tears through tall grass and is a great back yard thrasher. Wheelies are done from a dead stop, but once it is up on the tail it will stay that way until you ease off the throttle. I'm already thinking of maybe a 21-turn motor and some Clodbuster tires.

Oh, and it came with everything, right down to the AA-batteries for the transmitter. You charge the battery pack six hours and that is it. Zero assembly, nothing. Add batteries, drive. My 3 year old son already got his first driving lessons. I let him work the throttle or the steering, but not both at the same time...yet.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
44fTRQ0x4W7xUEHAVhbeMCCOV2PAyN3RxaleLAI0EXBFZeEptQwhEe8KCIMzNtKb