1 2
petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/29/16 6:49 p.m.

Seriously, was there a problem with the regular ketchup bottle lids that required a redesign so that you either get no ketchup, or the entire contents of the bottle(and likely not where you intended it)?

Get off my lawn...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/16 7:20 p.m.

cheaper to make.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
10/29/16 8:01 p.m.

Buy the ketchup in the upside down plastic squeeze bottle. Best change ever.

I bet this starts an argument.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
10/29/16 8:08 p.m.

I've never had any issues with ketchup bottles, other than occasionally with the glass ones in restaurants that usually exhibit flow commencement reluctance.

+1 for the big, big lidded nozzle-down bottles.
Three pack at Costco for $5

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
10/29/16 8:09 p.m.

I always take the restrictor out of the ketchup bottles to reduce the intense blow-off valve pressure buildup. Kind of like removing the rev limiter, in a way, but with less catastrophe.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/29/16 8:10 p.m.

Cause they don't have BBQ sauce in them instead?

Or so it all spills out at once and you have to go buy more. Customer retention and what not.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/16 8:11 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Buy the ketchup in the upside down plastic squeeze bottle. Best change ever. I bet this starts an argument.

You are wrong. I hate the damn squeeze bottles. I don't want my ketchup to burst from the container like a Saturn V trying to achieve liftoff. Give me the old fashion, messy lids every time.

jjreyn
jjreyn New Reader
10/29/16 8:22 p.m.

I want to know why, no matter what kind of top is on the ketchup bottle or whether it is right side up or upside down that lymphatic looking fluid always comes out first unless you remember to shake the bottle.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/29/16 8:24 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
Streetwiseguy wrote: Buy the ketchup in the upside down plastic squeeze bottle. Best change ever. I bet this starts an argument.
You are wrong. I hate the damn squeeze bottles. I don't want my ketchup to burst from the container like a Saturn V trying to achieve liftoff. Give me the old fashion, messy lids every time.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about! Although I don't recall the original upside-down squeeze bottles being this way?

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
10/29/16 8:27 p.m.

I'm squarely on the upside down squeeze bottle camp. Glass bottles are so primitive.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/29/16 9:47 p.m.

You guys are buying the wrong brand. Hunts has awesome lids. All natural no high fructose corn syrup either

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
10/29/16 10:16 p.m.

Ben Blumenthal called ketchup "kid sauce."

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
10/29/16 11:43 p.m.

The trick is to keep the upside down squeeze bottles oriented with the lid up. Otherwise the ideal gas law kinda screws you over when you put it on the table and open it 5 minutes later (the air pocket heats up, expands, and pressurizes the bottle).

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/29/16 11:47 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: Ben Blumenthal called ketchup "kid sauce."

He also lives in a place where using salt and pepper at the same time is considered exotic.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/29/16 11:48 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: The trick is to keep the upside down squeeze bottles oriented with the lid up. Otherwise the ideal gas law kinda screws you over when you put it on the table and open it 5 minutes later (the air pocket heats up, expands, and pressurizes the bottle).

That defeats the purpose of having an upside down squeeze bottle.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
10/29/16 11:56 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: Ben Blumenthal called ketchup "kid sauce."

And when feeding your wee kids:

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
10/30/16 12:08 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
BrokenYugo wrote: The trick is to keep the upside down squeeze bottles oriented with the lid up. Otherwise the ideal gas law kinda screws you over when you put it on the table and open it 5 minutes later (the air pocket heats up, expands, and pressurizes the bottle).
That defeats the purpose of having an upside down squeeze bottle.

Which is why I don't like them.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/30/16 12:55 a.m.

Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with any ketchup bottle, provided the ketchup in it is Heinz?

The Simply Ketchup Heinz is pretty amazing.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
10/30/16 6:39 a.m.

I hear ya...if eating while wearing clothes that need to stay clean, I avoid the ketchup and mustard dispensing devices as "Not to be trusted" Not sure why the sudden transition from no product to water jet cutting proportions, but it does suck. The relish dispensers that try to use the same idea are the worst.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
10/30/16 7:42 a.m.

I love how everything is packaged in shatterproof plastic bottles, but if you drop one of these bottles, the lids are cleverly designed to disintegrate and spray the contents all over your floor.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
10/30/16 7:47 a.m.
SkinnyG wrote: I always take the restrictor out of the ketchup bottles to reduce the intense blow-off valve pressure buildup. Kind of like removing the rev limiter, in a way, but with less catastrophe.

QFT - there's an o-ring in the nozzle that is pretty easy to pick out from the back side. It eliminates the surprise factor.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/16 9:29 a.m.
akamcfly wrote:
SkinnyG wrote: I always take the restrictor out of the ketchup bottles to reduce the intense blow-off valve pressure buildup. Kind of like removing the rev limiter, in a way, but with less catastrophe.
QFT - there's an o-ring in the nozzle that is pretty easy to pick out from the back side. It eliminates the surprise factor.

Not satisfied with leaving their cars in stock form, the average GRM member is also known to modify everyday household items as well.

Walks off to the kitchen to modify the ketchup for enhanced operation.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
10/30/16 10:03 a.m.
mtn wrote: Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with any ketchup bottle, provided the ketchup in it is Heinz? The Simply Ketchup Heinz is pretty amazing.

Not At all. Heinz is the one true ketchup. Everything else is just sucky catsup.

Margie

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/30/16 10:23 a.m.

One day ketchup makers will poach the bottle designer from liquid laundry detergent

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/16 10:41 a.m.
patgizz wrote: You guys are buying the wrong brand. Hunts has awesome lids. All natural no high fructose corn syrup either

I grew up in a Heinz household but the no-HFCS has me intrigued.

(yes, I use ketchup. It's awesome on quiche.)

(Yes, I eat quiche. And like it. Especially with ketchup)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r1FQ1gd6s8r97icefkNe3DXydctDi5DDZXZK5S6GqBf3vMg3GBRJIXp1Fx5efU3s