EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
10/28/16 3:36 p.m.

According to my reading and interpretation of Nevada statutes, I am not eligible to vote in the state.

This leaves me with three choices:

A] Find a lawyer or legal scholar to determine if I am reading the statutes correctly. This may result in:
1] Determining I am ineligible to vote
2] Determining I am reading the statutes incorrectly, and am eligible to vote.

OR

B]Attempt to register to vote. This may result in:
1] Having my registration denied, because a proper background check determined me to be ineligible.
2] Having my registration accepted, because I have read the statutes incorrectly, a proper background check has been performed, and I am indeed eligible.
3] Having my registration accepted, because a proper background check was not performed, which would allow me to vote illegally.

OR

C] Don't bother. Lie about the humiliating event in my past which I believe renders me ineligible.

I choose C.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/16 3:53 p.m.

I would assume you are reading the statute wrong and go register. It's on them to say no at that point.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/28/16 3:56 p.m.

I also choose B. Voting is important, at least in my book. Think about all of the people who aren't allowed to vote.

Does anything here help you?

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
10/28/16 4:14 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I would assume you are reading the statute wrong and go register. It's on them to say no at that point.

Interesting perspective, but I can't subscribe to it. In this case or any other, I believe it is the individuals' responsibility to obey the law, as opposed to it being governments' responsibility to see that the law is obeyed.

Based upon how I perceive government to operate (and spend money), I find it most unlikely that the government can and will pay for a full, 50-state background check on every applicant for voter registration.

Just because there isn't a cop behind every billboard, doesn't make it legal to speed.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
10/28/16 4:15 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Think about all of the people who aren't allowed to vote.

I do, because I believe I am one of them.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/28/16 4:16 p.m.

Have you talked to your local voter board people? Call them from a pay phone and explain your situation.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/16 4:28 p.m.

In reply to EvanR:

I don't necessarily agree with that, but you are the one making this decision.

I'm going to assume you did something stupid as a younger person and feel that makes you ineligible. Have you called the voter registration office and asked them? That would be a great place to start.

If they say yes, you have done your due diligence, so register, and go vote. If they say no, then I would move toward trying to get the record expunged.

Like David said, voting is important.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/28/16 4:36 p.m.

If you believe that laws are meant to be followed when no one is watching and that it is illegal for you to vote because of a law forbidding it then you are correctly abiding by it. It is also possibly one of the weakest rants ever.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/28/16 4:43 p.m.

Here I thought you were going to use one of my reasons. One being that by law, the votes can't be accurately counted or audited despite videos showing people picking candidate A and it registering a vote for candidate B(voting machine software is proprietary, after all), the other being that my state electoral college is allowed to pick whoever they want regardless of the citizens votes.

Or my third reason, that some jackass spends a billion dollars telling me why their opponent is trash, instead of spending that same billion to take care of veterans, or put books in public schools, or building a homeless shelter/soup kitchen instead. But that one is just me being petty.

Our my fourth reason, I'm registered no affiliation, so I'm not allowed to vote in my state primary to pick who even goes on the November ballot.

If it's to do with a felony in your younger days, you can appeal to the state to get your privilege back after a few years. At least in some states you can.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
10/28/16 4:44 p.m.

If you don't vote, then no bitching about the results!!!

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
10/28/16 5:02 p.m.
NGTD wrote: If you choose not to vote, despite being legally allowed to, then no bitching about the results!!!

FTFY

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/28/16 5:23 p.m.

In reply to EvanR:

Your taxes pay for your local elections board. Call them or show up and ask about voting. At this point you are probably way too late register, but only you can find that out. If the law says no then ask the board who is the court of competent jurisdiction and see if they know the right court clerk to whom you need to talk to get the ball rolling on an order to restore rights.

Or complain on the internet...or both...your choice

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/28/16 7:31 p.m.

Good grief man, tons of dead people are voting…I don’t know what your troubles are but you’ve GOT to be more qualified than them.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
10/28/16 9:21 p.m.

Have you ever been convicted of a violent felony? Probably good to go if you haven't.

I'd go with B, let them sort it out.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/28/16 9:40 p.m.

i agree with the above about checking with the elections board. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
10/29/16 9:14 a.m.

They dont even allow them to check your ID before voting.

They dont want to know who/what you are.

If you have more than 2 functioning brain cells and are not on welfare, go vote.

Why not welfare types, well that is obviously a conflict of interest.

jjreyn
jjreyn New Reader
10/29/16 11:55 a.m.
bentwrench wrote: They dont even allow them to check your ID before voting....

They check Id in Texas. At least they did when the Wife and I went this past week.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/29/16 12:14 p.m.

Come to Chicago. You can vote several times that day if you want. Even if you're dead.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
10/29/16 12:23 p.m.

I'm still completely undecided of I'm going to vote or not. I can't stomach the idea that I had a part in putting any of the candidates running in office. It's really a loose/loose/loose proposition. I live in a Republican state so that's already decided as far as I'm concerned. If I don't go my conscience will be clear anyway.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
10/29/16 1:28 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
10/29/16 2:03 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

I'm not entirely sure what that has to do with what we are discussing?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
10/29/16 3:00 p.m.

I'm not not trying to insinuate anything about EvanR's past, but if you were convicted of a violent felony or any two or more felonies (non-violent or violent) in Nevada, you can attend court about seeking restoration of franchise after you've finished parole (IIRC).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HneEhox20N0QzEhDvp57G6gD8JmsT93JmAIOj1Z4W07ZlyPZSv5tI4hQeHYPii81