1 2
Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
6/11/13 10:08 a.m.

I attended a Zombie Walk in Dayton OH Friday night, and they were handing out chances to win a ticket to a pre-screening a week before the release. I entered my info & got the email today I won 2 free passes next Tuesday. Only caveat is I have to drive down to northern KY to see it.

I read the book, loved it. Read the Zombie Survival Guide, loved it. I've seen two previews of the movie, hated them both. I fear they've turned it into a Brad Pitt action shoot-em-up flying around in helicopter gunships movie.

But for free I will see it anyway. What say the GRM crowd?

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
6/11/13 10:15 a.m.

It is on my list of "must see" movies for this summer. You will have to let us know how it is. I know it is not going to follow the book because that would be damn near impossible.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/11/13 10:17 a.m.

I can't go to Brad Pitt movies in the theater because the ladies all mistake me for him.

I will probably see this one though because I don't know anything about it and sometimes that keeps it more interesting.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
6/11/13 10:26 a.m.

Gonna pass. Not usually a fan of "track star" zombies...

MA$$hole
MA$$hole HalfDork
6/11/13 10:33 a.m.

As a die hard horror fan this is one movie I have absolutely no interest in this film.

I will say I have seen Hatchet III already which is out on 6/14. If you've seen I & II you will not be disappointed. I cannot say anymore as we Adam and Kane made us keep it a secret.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
6/11/13 10:42 a.m.

From what I heard the movie went through a good amount of re-shooting and re-writing. Not a good sign for a movie. I think they changed the ending. Sounds like it's pretty much guaranteed to piss off fans of the book (see I am Legend).

I hope it's good, but the preview does not show much and frankly looks a bit "over special effected" to me, but hard to say.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
6/11/13 11:12 a.m.
aircooled wrote: From what I heard the movie went through a good amount of re-shooting and re-writing. Not a good sign for a movie. I think they changed the ending. Sounds like it's pretty much guaranteed to piss off fans of the book (see I am Legend). I hope it's good, but the preview does not show much and frankly looks a bit "over special effected" to me, but hard to say.

The book is great, but completely un-filmable. They took opportunity to massively rewrite the book so I am going to pass track star zombies are just stupid.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/11/13 11:16 a.m.

Just checked--a friend from school is the music editor on that one. Go, UGA!

And that's all I got on the subject.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/13 11:29 a.m.

Jerry, you have free tickets for a pre-screening. So you have to tell us!

I can't see it being any better than Return of the Living Dead, though. Send more cops!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
6/11/13 11:34 a.m.

I'm halfway through the book and I'm more than anxious to see this one in the theaters. It can't be done like hte book, that would make a terrible movie.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
6/11/13 11:40 a.m.

The preliminary reviews on Rotten Tomatoes ( World War Z Reviews ) actually look quite good.

They do note it has little to do with the actual story.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
6/11/13 11:47 a.m.

I'm kind of Meh on this one, but I'm kind of meh on zombies in general. Now ghost movies like The Conjuring otoh....

Mr Wallens - you're a Dawg?!! explains all the red and black on the masthead I guess.... Go Jackets!

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
6/11/13 11:56 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Go, UGA!

I found that to be very ironic. I need to get out more

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
6/11/13 12:04 p.m.
aircooled wrote: The preliminary reviews on Rotten Tomatoes ( World War Z Reviews ) actually look quite good. They do note it has little to do with the actual story.

I had a feeling it is going to deal with the beginning and the actual War that the book doesn't go into great detail on. Just my opinion,.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
6/11/13 12:08 p.m.

I like vampires before they were cool then zombies. Ugh now I have to hate everything just to keep from being mundane and socially acceptable.

Note: if you can't make the showing in Ky. I'm already here. Just mail em down.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/11/13 12:14 p.m.

It's zombies and action. Game on.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/11/13 12:31 p.m.

I'll pass and save my money to go see Pacific Rim...

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
6/11/13 12:41 p.m.

I went as the original Zombie.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
6/11/13 12:50 p.m.
mndsm wrote: It's zombies and action. Game on.

This.

As if everything needs to have some deep, philosophical meaning.

Sometimes I just want to turn my brain off for two hours and be entertained, regardless of how cheesy or low-brow.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
6/11/13 12:52 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: The book is great, but completely un-filmable. They took opportunity to massively rewrite the book so I am going to pass track star zombies are just stupid.

I think the book could have actually made a pretty cool five-part miniseries. I suspect if the movie rights hadn't already been sold, ABC, CBS, NBC, or Fox would have tried that in order to ride the Walking Dead wave.

Edit: There is one series I like fast zombies in: Resident Evil. Those movies remind me of the brainless old movie serials, but with way better special effects.

Second Edit: Jerry, if the tickets are where I think they are, I'd recommend getting down there a bit early, and having dinner at Tom & Chee. Make sure to get a grilled donut.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/11/13 1:19 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
mndsm wrote: It's zombies and action. Game on.
This. As if everything needs to have some deep, philosophical meaning. Sometimes I just want to turn my brain off for two hours and be entertained, regardless of how cheesy or low-brow.

Precisely. I believe the same argument can be liberally applied to the F&F series.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
6/11/13 1:27 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: ....Sometimes I just want to turn my brain off for two hours and be entertained, regardless of how cheesy or low-brow.

And why Michael Bay is so rich.

Saw a preview for the latest "White house attacked" movie (I always hate the stupid duplicate movie thing) and they bragged that it was brought to you by the same people who did 2012, The Day After Tomorrow, Independence Day (apparently they are not as proud of 10,000 BC!)...

wow... not exactly a big selling point there, but is essentially the same thing as saying "it's a pretty brainless action movie, we just couldn't get Bay on board"

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
6/11/13 2:20 p.m.

In reply to eastsidemav:

It is. Either Tom & Chee or my friend works at Pizza Bomba and offered to make me something delicious.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
6/11/13 8:28 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
z31maniac wrote: ....Sometimes I just want to turn my brain off for two hours and be entertained, regardless of how cheesy or low-brow.
And why Michael Bay is so rich. Saw a preview for the latest "White house attacked" movie (I always hate the stupid duplicate movie thing) and they bragged that it was brought to you by the same people who did 2012, The Day After Tomorrow, Independence Day (apparently they are not as proud of 10,000 BC!)... wow... not exactly a big selling point there, but is essentially the same thing as saying "it's a pretty brainless action movie, we just couldn't get Bay on board"

Notice I said sometimes, not all the time. I haven't even seen 2012 or TDAT.......they didn't look interesting.

I like Brad Pitt. I like Zombies. It will be worth the $2 when it comes to RedBox. We rarely go see things in the theater, we put in a nice sound system and 65" TV so we can hit pause when we want, or freshen up the adult beverages more easily.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
6/12/13 12:46 a.m.
FranktheTank wrote: I like vampires before they were cool then zombies. Ugh now I have to hate everything just to keep from being mundane and socially acceptable.

Vampire hipster.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b2LQ4qdUV3Zqu5QE895qrqOZqvweJfIg0sKIkEP0KX8Mrj7J08c21esYWFBHqRy0