1 2
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/14/22 2:17 p.m.

What do you think the best buy is as far a car to be driven, for either fun, or practicality (ignoring investment opportunity of course)

Prices are adjusted for 2020 dollars.

Probably best to ignore the most recent cars (say 2000+).

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/14/22 2:21 p.m.

$23,000 to daily a brand new Roadrunner? All day. 

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
10/14/22 2:31 p.m.

The MR2 and 240Z both look pretty good to me.  I'll buy a new color every 5 years and jump back and forth between the two.  Done shopping for cars for the rest of my life, thanks!

I have also held the longtime view that certain cars should just be made forever, because the OEM got it right.  Kinda like the mexican VW beetle continued for so long, but I would vote the DC2 integra was about perfect.  Room for 4, hatchback, good driver ergos, good on fuel, etc.  Lock in the specs and declare it exempt from newer regulations, and the OEM is free to build them as long as they like.  Dodge is kind of doing this already with the Ram Classic. 

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
10/14/22 2:37 p.m.

I would like the 240 In both Datsun, and Volvo flavors.

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
10/14/22 2:42 p.m.

'50 Coronet didn't have fins.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/14/22 2:56 p.m.

For practicality, 1994 Camry all day.  One of the most well built cars ever made. 

For fun, I can't make that decision - too many choices.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
10/14/22 2:58 p.m.

Hmm...

This is a tough one. The heart says Roadrunner. But I know that the big block MPG would kill the bank account instantly. And I tried DDing a 70's Trans Am once, and I know that's a bad idea, so that's a no as well. 

If that Legacy wagon has AWD, the 2.2L, and a 5-speed, that might be the winner. Those were only killable by rust. And those old 2.2's made decent power without the rampant head gasket issues the later engines had. Plus, winter/dirt road hooning! 

cfvwtuner
cfvwtuner Reader
10/14/22 2:59 p.m.

1964 (5) mustang looks like a pretty good deal.  makes as much sense now as it did then 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
10/14/22 3:15 p.m.

2003EVO and go for rallycross glory...  

othewise a new 240Z for 23k, yes please!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/22 3:16 p.m.

I wouldn't buy today's new cars for new car prices, so no. Let some other chump drive it off the lot for a 5-digit bath laugh

Some of them look very reasonable though, I did look up the specs on a Jeep Dispatcher (2WD, boo!), and a Ford Anglia or Renault Dauphine could make a decent city car...

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/14/22 3:30 p.m.

The 66 Beetle at $12.6 k seems like a deal. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
10/14/22 3:58 p.m.

I'd go with the 240z - although sometimes I've been wanting a VW Beetle lately too.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/22 3:58 p.m.

there is nothing on that list that i wouldn't daily

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
10/14/22 4:50 p.m.

I'll take the Gremlin for 13 grand. I was just telling my kids what they were like, all stripped down with a 3 spd manual on the floor. Thrifty little cars, and pretty reliable too. 

EricM
EricM SuperDork
10/14/22 5:13 p.m.

VW GTI please

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/14/22 5:24 p.m.

So cars are cheaper now

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/22 5:27 p.m.

I'd be swedish bricking it. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/14/22 7:40 p.m.
yupididit said:

So cars are cheaper now

I would say they are about the same price.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/14/22 9:31 p.m.
yupididit said:

So cars are cheaper now

Seems like it in many cases.  Many of these older cars would be absolute stripped models compared to today, and are of course radically lacking in safety features compared to a current car.

The 240 would be very hard to pass up, and the Camry of course could last forever, and still get good mileage.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/22 9:37 p.m.

Anything in the left column, hell yes!

The right side, not so much. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/14/22 9:47 p.m.

They cost more than this in 2003.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
10/14/22 10:15 p.m.

The Ford Anglia is the best buy there. Light enough to be quick with 39 HP, and that glorious Kent engine to build into a ..BDA?..

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/14/22 10:28 p.m.

Just to be "that guy" a glance at a couple cars of same year or so, the "adjusted" numbers a radically different. Do I stopped looking, cause someone just made up numbers they thought looked good. 
If someone with math skill wants to look closer, I'm only extrapolating from a couple, but since I know at least one is off by 70% or so, I don't trust any of 'em. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/22 7:32 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Yeah, some just seemed a bit "odd"...

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/15/22 7:53 a.m.

Gotta be post 2000 for me to drive daily.  Abs and air bags and crash testing better. 

as a weekend car. Sure any of them. 

Just gonna leave this here.  You know the video that showed us the evolution of crashing after the impala vs impala video 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5xaOs7qmjpPfNzCLHb8uWwaxrUCWXvRmZ1HwYBXjxDzvCn1bYLTmyFQzTVlCWhJj