Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
7/11/24 9:19 a.m.

I stumbled across this video a few days ago and wanted to know what you all would do in this situation. I think the end product of what he did turned out awesome but I think I would have a hard time letting a random person take my car to paint it. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/11/24 9:52 a.m.

Not long ago I actually had some random guy approach me in a parking lot, offering to repair and repaint the rust spots on my car.  I politely declined.

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/11/24 11:25 a.m.

My enclosed race trailer has paint that is getting thin.  I have had this thought of just finding outlaw graffiti artists and give them permission to go crazy within certain standards.  I might even pay for their paint.  Some RR cars I've seen lately look sort of cool.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/24 11:52 a.m.

After painting a car myself, I would absolutely let any stranger do it before I try again.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
7/11/24 12:07 p.m.

I'd absolutely let someone like this guy do my truck and trailer, but that's because they couldn't possibly look any worse than they already do.

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
7/11/24 1:03 p.m.

Having watched a few of his other videos now I think I would go for it if I had the chance. But without knowing the person or their skill level I think I would pass. I like how on the Mini he wrapped the car then painted over it so he was not destroying the good factory paint. The Bronco came out really cool too. 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/11/24 1:43 p.m.

Reminds me of the joke...

Guy knocks on a door and tells the homeowner he needs money, and he'll do anything around the house the guy needs.  Homeowner tells him there's some paint stuff out in the garage.  Get it and paint the porch, and he'll pay him $100.

Two hours later, he tells the homeowner he's done, but that it wasn't a Porsche, it's a Ferrari.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/11/24 1:49 p.m.

A friend of mine used to live in North Minneapolis off Broadway. (IYKYK). He bought a festiva for $100. The transmission was in the back seat with a piece of rebar where an axle should be. We were off to a good start. We decided the LOGICAL answer was to paint flames on it. After the worlds finest prep work, we rolled it out into the alley to lay down the base coat. About that time, a random crack head rolls by in about a 1987 caravan. He takes a look at what we're doin' and this follows- 

"Y'all paint cars?"

"We're gonna paint this one" as i'm shaking cans of primer black rusto. 

"Ya'll think you can paint this van?"

Me- befuddled that this man has clearly not cottoned on to what we're about to do "I don't think you want us to do what we're about to do"

"See I just got this van and I want it to look nice"

"Nah man, we are not the ones for you" 

And he drove off. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GanTCEe0nsEIo7MiAwzuCBpFq5FXuoCwW7Icr0fbALSTP4yTDiGLSDy9VLluVA4s